Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VARs etc - does anyone actually want them?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The VAR will be match changing situations only! So if a goal is scored a very quick offside review if it was marginal, penalty decisions, red cards. That’s it folks. All these situations have a natural break and it will only be used if the official is unsure or the VR has seen an obvious mistake by the referee. We would have had the penalty on Monday night when Shawcross brought down Murray. The break in play was about 45 seconds. The VAR would have had that corrected in half the time.
As for those saying teams can slow the game down, how?? They have to create a game changing scenario and that’s impossible to deliberately manipulate. I can’t see a problem with it at all!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39219168

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Doesn't a ref consult with a Lino or 4th official now for those odd occassions when he's either not sure or when one of those spot something that they think the ref missed. Wouldn't it be just the same?

I'm not advocating that teams get x number of 'challenges' or that every decision needs to be looked at but leave it as is now but with the added intervention of the '5th' official as and when appropriate

I've seen the arguments against and perhaps it will be a creeping mess but having robust guidelines as to when and how used (no different to now) will surely be good for the game, not just to avoid ridiculous wrong decisions but to cap much of the cheating that go's on I would have thought

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You clearly didn't see the rugby on Saturday. As I said, one replay lasted eight minutes and several more were three or four minutes.

It's the creep that gets me: when TMOs were introduced in rugby there were about one or two a game and they lasted about a minute, now there are about seven and eight a game

Precisely, and as you mentioned earlier, several minutes spent on several decisions that we still can't agree on.

People get upset because some decisions don't got their teams way, guess what, some decisions still won't got your way. And you're going to spend 10 plus every games scratching your arse while the officials come up with their decisions. Imagine watching a game on tele as a neutral, you'll soon be switching over to Corrie.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...s-after-anger-over-use-of-video-replay-system

FFA reels in VARs after anger over use of video replay system

A-League chiefs have moved to end hysteria around the video assistant refereeing trial, tweaking interpretations of the rules which should result in far fewer interventions.

Fans and players have fumed over the system, under which contentious decisions and missed incidents are reviewed by a fifth official in the stands through video replays.

Long delays and poor application of the guidelines have plagued the league, as seen in red cards to Jake McGing and Wout Brama in Central Coast’s 2-0 loss to Western Sydney.

Sydney FC’s title-winning captain Alex Brosque captured the sentiment perfectly this week, saying it also toyed with emotions.

“Scoring a goal, you can’t celebrate properly as fans or players because you’ve got to wait two or three minutes before it actually gets given ... you want the game to flow and, if a goal is scored, for the emotions to take over,” he said. “The less you see the VAR get involved in matches, the better.”

From this weekend, Brosque will get his wish. A memo issued to clubs says video referees should not “go looking for infringements that are by definition not match changing”.

VARs should only get involved in obvious mistakes or missed incidents, with a high threshold of intervention and a focus on match-changing situations. Video referees have also been stripped of the power to suggest changing yellow-card decisions to dismissals where the on-field referee has issued a caution.

Off-the-ball incidents will still be looked at.

In tweaking the system, the memo acknowledges the changes “are not completely in line with the trial protocol” agreed with Fifa for the trial. But the weight of criticism from an already small fanbase has forced FFA’s hand.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Not just the thin end of the wedge - they've now changed the wedge.

If I thought VAR could improve the game, I'd be in favour of it.

In one sense it already has - the automated goal-line technology is an excellent addition. If the same technology were implementable, maybe even do it for the whole of the pitch perimeter. It might teach the linesmen a thing or two about 'the whole ball'.

But as for contentious decisions - bin it. Lovren v WhatHisChops of Everton. That's the kind of thing people want VAR to assess, and it's the one principle area VAR could NOT cope with, as you are going from the opinion of one person, to the opinion of another - which is a pointless exercise.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not just the thin end of the wedge - they've now changed the wedge.

Indeed. Another interesting recent article here https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-australia-proves-messy-and-divisive#comments

I'll be watching that Cup game with Palace with a morbid fascination to see how it plays out. Maybe there won't be any incidents of note that need reviewing, and all will be well. But by 'eck, there won't half be some fallout if VARs is called in and used on one of those 50/50 marginal calls that nobody agrees on.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Indeed. Another interesting recent article here https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-australia-proves-messy-and-divisive#comments

I'll be watching that Cup game with Palace with a morbid fascination to see how it plays out. Maybe there won't be any incidents of note that need reviewing, and all will be well. But by 'eck, there won't half be some fallout if VARs is called in and used on one of those 50/50 marginal calls that nobody agrees on.

A real baptism of fire if Zaha plays. We'd be there until 1am.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The problem with VAR is that everyone assumes that an offside/ball didn't cross the line/dive etc etc is a game changer. However there are minor incidents throughout the match that occur leading up to these "game changing events" which also have an impact. So take for example the "did the ball cross the line" incident. Is that incident more important than what happened in the build up. Say a defender fouls an attacker off the ball and its not noticed and his team then run up the pitch and the attack ends in the "did it cross the line incident". Surely the original missed foul is as much of a contributory factor in whether the goal should stand or not.

Let the ref have the final decision as there are too many variables that lead to an outcome and this at least keeps it all nice and simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here