Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Varifocal bins

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Recommend them, got used to them in an instant, if like a lot of place you get 2 fo1 one get one with bias for distance and the other biased to near sight
huh????? That's absurd advice in respect of varifocals since their key selling point is to cover all distances. Your advice is like buying a pair glasses for close up and another for distance which is course we are trying to avoid.

As commented by posters you really need to not skimp on money with varifocals. Get the best you can afford.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
huh????? That's absurd advice in respect of varifocals since their key selling point is to cover all distances. Your advice is like buying a pair glasses for close up and another for distance which is course we are trying to avoid.

As commented by posters you really need to not skimp on money with varifocals. Get the best you can afford.

Not true, bi focals there is a direct line between the two lengths of site, varifocols transition evenly between the lengths of site

Jul 7, 2003
There can be a big difference in the quality and experience of varifocals. Cheap ones are often no better than bi-focals.

I've had Zeiss lenses for the last few years via Boots - not cheap but very good. Switched to Vision Express this time and they gave me some Hoya lenses. I couldn't get on with them at all and found the middle and distance poor while the peripheral vision wasn't great. Took them back and they were replaced with Essilor Varilux lenses and the difference was huge despite being the same prescription in the same frame.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Not true, bi focals there is a direct line between the two lengths of site, varifocols transition evenly between the lengths of site

I'm still confused. Does not your original statement suggest that you should buy two pairs of varifocals but have one pair that corrects more efficiently for close up whilst the should correct better for distance?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I'm still confused. Does not your original statement suggest that you should buy two pairs of varifocals but have one pair that corrects more efficiently for close up whilst the should correct better for distance?
When I first had varifocals I had two different pairs. One for desk work and one for driving. The transit was different giving more long sight for driving and more mid range for the desk.

And be careful. I had a painful fall off a ladder. Looked down through the bottom of the lens and misjudged how far off the ground I was.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have worn varifocal specs for years and always got on well with them, although I gather that is not everybody's experience. For me though they have been fine.

I used to pay out for the best premium quality lenses , being sold on them by the optician staff. Since retirement I have dropped down to the standard ones with no appreciable difference for me. NB. Asdas opticians are very good value for money.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
When I first had varifocals I had two different pairs. One for desk work and one for driving. The transit was different giving more long sight for driving and more mid range for the desk.

And be careful. I had a painful fall off a ladder. Looked down through the bottom of the lens and misjudged how far off the ground I was.

Yes the desk thing sort of makes sense but in my case I just ensured that our occupational health team got me the best possible PC screen stand. Accordingly, I just got the screen just right so I wasn't holding my head in an unnatural position.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Update.

I have been wearing them more and more and think I’ve got the hang of them now. I had originally bought quite large framed glasses, think Moby and media twats. The heavy frame meant they slipped down my nose a bit. But, I’ve just bought myself some lighter rounder rimmed and those work much better and I can wear them for longer periods.

I would recommend getting your eyes tested as I was quite shocked how bad mine were and how much bad eye-sight I had been putting up with and compensating for.

All good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Media **** Moby frames

Attachments

• 73D22FA7-C98E-4626-B681-18BD274F88F6.jpeg
    73D22FA7-C98E-4626-B681-18BD274F88F6.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 30

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron