Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR given thumbs down by fans for Premier League study

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
No. I didnt, so you are wrong.

Thanks for your important opinion here on what is quite obviously a generalisation. Talk about pedantry look at me rubbish - to think I was talking about you specifically. FFS.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
crikey we wont have a game without refs. all the time they are prone to death threats we wont have good refs- why would you do it ?
Junior level i have seen junior refs abused by big burly parents - who should be ashamed of themselves - and probably are when the heat of the moment disappears.
VAR is dreadful when it rules against you !
Life is dreadful ? isnt it

That's the crux of it for me - Sometimes things go against you, suck it up - That is, as they say, life. VAR destroys so much that we love about football in a vain attempt to remove so alleged injustices from the process. I hope this is the death knell for it but very much doubt that is so, sadly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Thanks for your important opinion here on what is quite obviously a generalisation. Talk about pedantry look at me rubbish - to think I was talking about you specifically. FFS.

He has a point though, I mean, did we? I didn't, I can't think of too many people that I know who did so in fairness and with respect, I do think you're wrong

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Its a business led thing . . . if 'customers' had been asked it would never have got past the pub table stage of planning.

one of the biggest nails in professional footballs coffin yet

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Another of my important opinions was that it was a bad generalisation. If someone says "we all love ice cream, sex and kittens" I wouldnt oppose it, but I dont think people "in general" wanted to go with VAR to begin with.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It won't be binned off. We all wanted it at one point and it hasn't lived up to our expectations. .

When they announced trials of Video replays in 2016 (to prepare for its use at the 2018 world cup), this poll showed only 46% in favour:

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?345025-Video-Replays

There has always been a spectrum of opinions, some wanting it for everything, some wanting only for certain decisions, some not wanting it at all. But it wasn't so universally desired as you suggest (even accepting a degree of hyperbole or dramatic rhetoric in your choice of words).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Its cack, a massive fail.

as we've discussed before and generally agree we need a massive overhaul and upgrade in officials.

a 4th official pitchside with video should be mandatory, crefs have radios. and all the grounds have big screens for replays.

a player seeing his pathetic dive on a massive screen in front of 30 000 + people may make them change their ways also.

I'm with you that it is poor officials, rather than poor technology.

We all know that the EPL officials are generally unfit and each one has a different idea on how to ref the game. Way too many inconsistencies. Stick mics on all 4 officials and let us hear, in real time, their deliberations (as in cricket, rugby etc).

The VAR officials should be a ref and a former player. For offsides they should get 30 secs to make a decision.

Assistants should start flagging for bloody obvious offsides. Letting play go on and then flagging 10/20 seconds later does nobody any good.

In cases of serious foul play & red card reviews, they get 20 seconds. If VAR can't decide, then we stick with the refs initial decision.

As an ex ref I was used to making decisions in a split second. I'm giving the VAR officials 20 seconds; that's generous and more than enough time.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I don't have a problem with Goal line technology, apart from the important one last season which they got wrong and kept Villa up.
That just showed that all these marginal offside decisions etc are not to be trusted. It just makes a simple enjoyable game a mess at the moment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We all know that the EPL officials are generally unfit and each one has a different idea on how to ref the game. Way too many inconsistencies. Stick mics on all 4 officials and let us hear, in real time, their deliberations (as in cricket, rugby etc).

The VAR officials should be a ref and a former player. For offsides they should get 30 secs to make a decision.

Assistants should start flagging for bloody obvious offsides. Letting play go on and then flagging 10/20 seconds later does nobody any good.

In cases of serious foul play & red card reviews, they get 20 seconds. If VAR can't decide, then we stick with the refs initial decision.

As an ex ref I was used to making decisions in a split second. I'm giving the VAR officials 20 seconds; that's generous and more than enough time.
20 - 30 seconds .............. absolutely no way. Ten seconds max - after that the connection to the ref cuts off and the original decisions stand. And yes, linos should flag for off-side, end of.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It won't be binned off. We all wanted it at one point and it hasn't lived up to our expectations.

Im sure I’m not the only football attending supporter who never wanted it at any point.

In fact I don’t recall any fans I know that actually attend games, ever wanting it at any point ever.

That’s a bizarre assumption, that I’d love to see backed up by facts.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
And still no mention of one of the worst things about VAR for fans in the ground, which was again brought home when at the Amex for the win over city. In the ground you have no idea what VAR is looking at, and have to contact people at home watching to actually find out what the issue is.

It's about time that the detail is shown on the screens inside the ground, and if that means that Liverpool and Manchester United have to be relegated because they don't have screens then so be it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Bang on. THread closed. IMO

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Im sure I’m not the only football attending supporter who never wanted it at any point.

In fact I don’t recall any fans I know that actually attend games, ever wanting it at any point ever.

I agree, but on the daily mail side of the argument, or is it the Guardian? Anyway . . . I think the majority were in favour of some form of video replay to eliminate cheating/shitehousery . . . . But more in the manner of Clicket and egg-chasing?

That beng the case, football, like its governing bodies, is firmly stuck in the Edwardian era. At best

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Completely agree. Never wanted it, don't want it, will never want it. Anything that takes away the fun of celebrating a goal is a curse on the game. And this fan poll should be taken very seriously.

As someone else has said though the tv viewing figures will also tell a story. I suspect people will always still go to the premier league games but if tv audiences fall so will tv revenue and eventually that will hit football. Perhaps then they will listen?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Principle of VAR, which is to reduce errors, especially for offside...Good
Application of VAR, which takes too long on occasions...Not Good.

If the proposed use of Hawkeye is applied then the offside issue could become fully automated and results in a few seconds...Very Good

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just use it for the "Clear and obvious" howlers and forget the marginals where the exact nanosecond in which the ball is touched really needs to be known.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just use it for the "Clear and obvious" howlers and forget the marginals where the exact nanosecond in which the ball is touched really needs to be known.

This is where I used to be, but they just can't do it can they? I've watched the Albion for 40 years and I can only think of one real injustice that actually cost us, the Stephens red card at Middlesbrough. But even that might not have been crucial. We don't know we would have won.

Add to that the Maradona handball for England and that's two infuriating decisions that drove me mad at the time in 40 years of watching football. Sure there has been some dodgy decisions at games, but nothing so crucial as to stop me going. VAR drives me mad. It's a total insult that in the stadium you have less of a fan experience than if you're watching at home. It's abysmal that you see a goal, celebrate and then think oh hang on.

Watch some of our great goals in the past and think how they would have felt if there was a VAR check after. The Storer goal would almost certainly have been ruled out, and even if not when the ball went in we would have all been worried. Case's winner in the cup quarter final, definite VAR moment. Would the Ulloa moment at Forest have been as good if there was a VAR check lurking at the back of your mind. All great moments of watching the Albion ruined.

If they could use it sensibly, i.e. it maybe kicked in once a season for absolute clangers then fine, but that is never going to happen. All the time it exists it is killing football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here