Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] VAR decision on Estupiñán goal

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I suggest we scrap VAR and go back to how it used to be and that TV channels and pundits are not allowed to endless rerun and comment on refereeing and offside mistakes which is what lead to VAR being introduced in the first place.
Thank you for posting this. It needs to be stated over and over again.
The whole idea of VAR emerged because ALL certain fans and pundits could talk about was officiating decisions. And now the most vocal critics of VAR are the exact same fans and pundits that used to bang on about officiating decisions.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
VAR has led to more correct decisions for sure, but post-VAR errors are infinitely worse as rather than a ref/lino having to make a rapid judgement in real time, this is a gormless incompetent making an incorrect decision despite having the benefit of unlimited slow-mos from multiple angles, technology to ‘help’ and a team of people to discuss it with. It beggars belief they can be so useless (the Arsenal and Chelsea decisions were equally appalling)

If Pervis has been given offside by the lino and the goal disallowed instantly we would all be a bit pissed off when MOTD confirm it was marginally onside, but would accept it as part of the game (and we wouldn’t have gone mental celebrating). When Mr Magoo and his cronies STILL get it wrong despite everything it’s far more egregious. Ironically the on-field decision was correct 🤬
Also thank you for differentiating between VAR decisions and post-VAR errors.
I've been assured this week by someone who has multiple brain cells that VAR has led to more incorrect decisions than before its implementation. I fear for anyone that actually believes sh!t like that.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The whole idea of VAR emerged because ALL certain fans and pundits could talk about was officiating decisions. And now the most vocal critics of VAR are the exact same fans and pundits that used to bang on about officiating decisions.
We can't go back now it won't work, it makes more right decisions than wrongs unfortunately

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So basically achieved very little, other than spoil the enjoyment of a goal being scored.

I do take your point around the more right than wrong, but the whole concept of the euphoria of a goal being scored being removed, means it should not have a future or at best a different one IMO.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So basically achieved very little, other than spoil the enjoyment of a goal being scored.

I do take your point around the more right than wrong, but the whole concept of the euphoria of a goal being scored being removed, means it should not have a future or at best a different one IMO.
The point that VAR shouldn't have been introduced because it ruins the spontaneous joy of a goal being scored is utterly valid, although that happened pre-VAR when fans (because they necessarily have blinkers on) failed to spot an offside flag, or didn't look at the ref who had blown the whistle for an infringement.
But disagree with 'so basically achieved very little'. If it's improved decision-making, it's necessarily achieve something. Whether that achievement is more important than the curtailment of joy is a different question entirely.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
VAR may have lead to ' more correct decisions ', but that is probably because it has corrected a whole heap of offside calls which were wrong by a toenail. As someone said earlier, these decisions were never really controversial. I'd like to see the count of improved decisions by VAR excluding these....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The point that VAR shouldn't have been introduced because it ruins the spontaneous joy of a goal being scored is utterly valid, although that happened pre-VAR when fans (because they necessarily have blinkers on) failed to spot an offside flag, or didn't look at the ref who had blown the whistle for an infringement.
But disagree with 'so basically achieved very little'. If it's improved decision-making, it's necessarily achieve something. Whether that achievement is more important than the curtailment of joy is a different question entirely.
It feels we’re having similar discussions as previous, only about incorrect application, the thickness of lines, clear and obvious, seeking to gain an advantage, did his arm outstretched unnaturally make his frame larger etc…

So actually nothing has changed, and as you say the pundits moaning about officiating are now moaning about VAR.

As you can probably tell, I despise it, the delays, the controversy, it doesn’t feel better to me. It does not work in the context of the wider game, because football should be continuous, unless injury dictates otherwise (or the Villa players).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It feels we’re having similar discussions as previous, only about incorrect application, the thickness of lines, clear and obvious, seeking to gain an advantage, did his arm outstretched unnaturally make his frame larger etc…

So actually nothing has changed, and as you say the pundits moaning about officiating are now moaning about VAR.

As you can probably tell, I despise it, the delays, the controversy, it doesn’t feel better to me. It does not work in the context of the wider game, because football should be continuous, unless injury dictates otherwise (or the Villa players).
I agree with just about all of what you say, apart from to reiterate that things have changed, namely more correct decisions are being made.
I completely accept your hatred of VAR, you're by no means alone in that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
VAR at the moment isn't fit for purpose but it's more the human failings that are the issues than the technology they use, although obviously there are issues with camera positions at some ground for offside that do need addressing.
As much as human failings are a problem, one other great tunning sore in VAR is the ridiculous set of rules made up (by the league, by the PGMOL?) defining when VAR can or cannot intervene, or when it has to (like examining every goal to see if there's a way to disallow it -whaich is what they do, even if they claim it's not like that). Can't look at some fouls because they're on the wrong part of the pitch, or because a yellow has been issued (I think).

It was supposed to correct howlers, and spot blatant things that the ref missed becase he was looking the other way (like wrestling in the penalty area before a corner). Just use VAR when something happens when, basically, half the stadium is shouting 'Oi ref!' because they've seen, quite rightly, something that's been missed.

Last edited:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
When VAR came in it was like ‘Ooh look, a shiny new toy. Now we can check everything and no-one can say we have made a mistake.” Clear and obvious keeps getting mentioned but it really isn’t the bar set is it. I posted before about Pervis’ goal against Palace and couldn’t remember the lino giving off-side. Others pointed out to me that it was given on-side by the lino because they gave the goal at first. To go on to check laboriously for a fractional offence, never mind getting it wrong, you have to ask why? Next thing they are asking how we can speed up the game! Ffs you couldn’t make it up!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
When VAR came in it was like ‘Ooh look, a shiny new toy. Now we can check everything and no-one can say we have made a mistake.” Clear and obvious keeps getting mentioned but it really isn’t the bar set is it. I posted before about Pervis’ goal against Palace and couldn’t remember the lino giving off-side. Others pointed out to me that it was given on-side by the lino because they gave the goal at first. To go on to check laboriously for a fractional offence, never mind getting it wrong, you have to ask why? Next thing they are asking how we can speed up the game! Ffs you couldn’t make it up!
It was never clear and obvious for something that is binary as offside.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why is everyone assuming his replacement will be better?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Why is everyone assuming his replacement will be better?
De Zerbi > Potter.
Potter > Hughton.
Hughton > Hyypia

There is always room in life for change and improvement and without trying people chomping at the bit, and clearing out deadwood, there would never be progress.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
De Zerbi > Potter.
Potter > Hughton.
Hughton > Hyypia

There is always room in life for change and improvement and without trying people chomping at the bit, and clearing out deadwood, there would never be progress.
Are you suggesting the referee association is as well run as the Albion?
Maybe, just maybe, they're on a par with The Leeds.

Obvs I'm not saying Mason is the irreplaceable high water mark of refereeing, but there's no guarantee the next man up will be better.
The nature of the job and the size of the talent pool could well have us pleading for the return of Mason!

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
He should never have been involved in VAR at all after the West Brom game. Off to spec savers now I’d suspect. Mess with a Big Six and you are history.

However, change the result of a match to the detriment of a #teamslikeBrighton and you’ll completely get away with it.
This with knobs on. Such a disgrace. Brooks error was as bad if not worse than Mason’s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here