Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Van Gogh Immersive Experience Coming To Brighton

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I’ve been. Didn’t rate it at all, I’m afraid. If you don’t much like art or Van Gogh it might be good. Other than that, it’s great.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I saw it in Bristol and quite enjoyed it.

If you’re already familiar with Van Gogh’s biography and work you’re not going to learn anything new, but for me it’s still worth going just to see some of Van Gogh’s works presented differently.

It’s very accessible for those who are less familiar with Van Gogh, and a good introduction for kids. As with anything as subjective as art, it’s largely going to depend on your own attitude to seeing works reinterpreted and presented as multimedia offerings as to whether it’s for you.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
At the Dome from 12th May for 12 weeks. Looks amazing!

Thanks THPP. Personally not my cuppa but the Mrs loves anything arty so it'll be a great present for her Bday in June. Been dragged to many an exhibit over the years

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Saw it in Manchester. We love our art and have been to Van Gogh museums in various cities/countries. It was ok. Not amazing, not rubbish. A good way of learning something about the man and his art.
Saw it in Bristol. I felt sorry for Benedict Cumberbatch having to sit in a warehouse all day repeating the lines over and over again...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What exactly is this? Is it large projections of his work? The website doesn’t really give much info.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks THPP. Personally not my cuppa but the Mrs loves anything arty so it'll be a great present for her Bday in June. Been dragged to many an exhibit over the years
“If you love a good selfie then prepare yourself for the immersive sunflower room! This mirrored room complete with hundreds of sunflowers provides an incredible backdrop for a selfie which we guarantee will make you the envy of your Insta followers.”

Look forward to seeing the selfie!

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
What exactly is this? Is it large projections of his work? The website doesn’t really give much info.

I went to the one in London. I'd say it was pretty poor. A below standard exhibition as they only had prints on the walls, no original paintings. Then the immersive bit was just a large room with some deck chairs and bean bags on the floor where you could come in and sit down while the projected some swirly portions of his paintings over the whole room.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I’m not sure how I feel about traditional art being presented like this. Seems to be like putting muzac to moving wallpaper to me although I am sure it’s very well done. With an Art College background and particular love of Post-Impressionism (ie Van Gough, Monet etc), I’m familiar with all of VG’s ‘popular’ work. This ‘display’, or dumbing down of art to make it accessible to mass audiences wouldnt do anything for me in the slightest - I get everything I need from contemplating on the original painting in an art gallery - I would find light shows and loudspeaker voice overs incredibly distracting (and frustrating that I couldn’t also see the originals displayed separately as part of the exhibition)

However, I can see how installations/shows like this could introduce people to classic artists (or any art!) who might otherwise not be interested in going to art galleries because it’s simply not in their ‘things to do’ socially or culturally or simply don’t have access to London galleries - I would hope a show like this might still encourage people to go and see the ‘real thing’ rather than affirming a need not to see the originals - our great art museums need public money.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I’m not sure how I feel about traditional art being presented like this. Seems to be like putting muzac to moving wallpaper to me although I am sure it’s very well done. With an Art College background and particular love of Post-Impressionism (ie Van Gough, Monet etc), I’m familiar with all of VG’s ‘popular’ work. This ‘display’, or dumbing down of art to make it accessible to mass audiences wouldnt do anything for me in the slightest - I get everything I need from contemplating on the original painting in an art gallery - I would find light shows and loudspeaker voice overs incredibly distracting (and frustrating that I couldn’t also see the originals displayed separately as part of the exhibition)

However, I can see how installations/shows like this could introduce people to classic artists (or any art!) who might otherwise not be interested in going to art galleries because it’s simply not in their ‘things to do’ socially or culturally or simply don’t have access to London galleries - I would hope a show like this might still encourage people to go and see the ‘real thing’ rather than affirming a need not to see the originals - our great art museums need public money.
Leaving aside that you can't even spell the guy's name right, you could always just appreciate the visual spectacle of the thing instead of getting all snobby on us. I've spent from dawn to dusk in the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam and I still want to see this. And I'm sure there will be very many Brighton types loading up on their poison of choice and having the very best of times in there :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here