Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] van Gaal on Qatar

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
So is it worth leaving the likes of Foden back in the UK rather than take them to Qatar?

Sex outside marriage is illegal in Qatar and can lead to a 7 year jail sentence. That's not quite as severe as being caught with cocaine where the sentence is death.

Alcohol isn't actually illegal, but being drunk in public is. Expect a pint to cost at least £10 as they apply a 'sin' tax.

I'm sure it will all be fine...

Are you suggesting that Foden might struggle to afford a round at the bar?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I heard this interview last night. No need to worry, no backbone is being developed.

It would seem that the containment strategy in the England camp is not to go on the front foot - but instead to parrot the party line about 'shinning a light' prepared by the media department for the players and management to spin out whenever issues are raised by journalists.

Basically, FIFA could give the World Cup to any rogue state or human rights abuser country (for a tidy sum, obviously) and then get its members to trumpet the "shine a light / set an example" line, thus making it perfectly OK for the competition to proceed in said Axis of Evil country. 2034 WC in Saudi anyone?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Basically, FIFA could give the World Cup to any rogue state or human rights abuser country (for a tidy sum, obviously) and then get its members to trumpet the "shine a light / set an example" line, thus making it perfectly OK for the competition to proceed in said Axis of Evil country. 2034 WC in Saudi anyone?

Of course they can.

In 2026 it will be in one of the most murderous, bloodthirsty and destructive countries on this planet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I'm hoping there will be flagrant hand-holding and a bit of canoodling by members of the same trouser in Qatar. Let the armed police boggle in front of the world's cameras.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've been to the World Cup tournaments in France, Germany, Brazil and Russia.

Russia was the best.

To be honest, I'm more scared by the ability of Putin to control absolutely his thug nation than I am by his ability to roll his tanks into Ukrain. Can you imagine Johnson being able to switch football violence on an off at the flick of his fingers? :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here