[Brighton] Valley Gardens works

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1189094627778932741[/tweet]

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
It's not about the people in cars. It's about making the town a nicer environment for the people not in cars.

You know what...you are dead right. If the council were to make car access a priority then traffic volumes would grow and a cramped network of streets like Brighton, bounded by a seafront, can't handle it. We might as well accept this and instead make it a better environment for residents and visitors. The more of central Brighton that becomes like New Road (where the Theatre Royal is) the better.

However, park and ride needs to be greatly expanded, and bus fares need to be cheaper. The dream would be a seafront tram from Rottingdean to Shoreham.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You know what...you are dead right. If the council were to make car access a priority then traffic volumes would grow and a cramped network of streets like Brighton, bounded by a seafront, can't handle it. We might as well accept this and instead make it a better environment for residents and visitors. The more of central Brighton that becomes like New Road (where the Theatre Royal is) the better.

However, park and ride needs to be greatly expanded, and bus fares need to be cheaper. The dream would be a seafront tram from Rottingdean to Shoreham.

Pretty much sums it up. If you go to many of our older cities they have decent park and ride schemes. We need to accept the use of some of the countryside outside town to create park and ride hubs and stop ordinary traffic from outside coming into town.
To be frank, the whole of the coast road from one end of Brighton to the other is compromised by tunnels/cavities underneath. The problems at the bottom of West Street are only the beginning. The old infrastructure of the city is disintegrating before our eyes because not enough has been done in recent decades to maintain it.
Traffic lights nor a roundabout at the Steine are going to solve these problems. Only a radical change of transport policy will give the city a chance.
I have lived in Brighton and Hove most of my life but the way it is being run today, I think I may be opting out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1194348162108067842[/tweet]

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
[tweet]1189094627778932741[/tweet]

Oslo is very flat though. Cycling to and around the centre of Brighton is fine, but if you live on the outskirts there is normally a bit of a hill climb to get home.

Even along the seafront with the wind behind you you can go for miles, but cycling back against the wind it can be hard work because you are so exposed to the elements.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Oslo is very flat though. Cycling to and around the centre of Brighton is fine, but if you live on the outskirts there is normally a bit of a hill climb to get home.

Even along the seafront with the wind behind you you can go for miles, but cycling back against the wind it can be hard work because you are so exposed to the elements.

Two words: Electric Bikes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’ve always wanted just that, a tram from Shoreham to Black Rock (the effective urban area). It wouldn’t solve the needs of those living in most of the conurbation, or visitors/commuters from the northerly direction, but it would help.

From visits to various other European cities, they achieve this also at huge cost (multi £100m’s), often financed by a consortium of private companies and public money. Not always seamless, these are often constructed in phases, with incomplete elements awaiting funding for years.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I’ve always wanted just that, a tram from Shoreham to Black Rock (the effective urban area). It wouldn’t solve the needs of those living in most of the conurbation, or visitors/commuters from the northerly direction, but it would help.

From visits to various other European cities, they achieve this also at huge cost (multi £100m’s), often financed by a consortium of private companies and public money. Not always seamless, these are often constructed in phases, with incomplete elements awaiting funding for years.

With a link to the university's and a link to Brighton Station would be fantastic, I was in Edinburgh recently and their new tram system takes you to and from the heart of the city to the airport but along its 10 mile or so route and numerous stations has grown a whole new set of buissnres opportunities with the tram being the obvious first choice of transportation for the thousands of new jobs created

Quick get funding application into the EU before its to late

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

It would be great, and i'll always support public transport improvements, but the logistical issues of what you're suggesting are overwhelming. What would you move to site the track?

More realistically the 700 route is good, but slow and finding ways to get this moving faster is probably the immediate thing to look at

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I am thinking of getting one but using it would be still be dependent on your schedule, your mission, if there will be more than one of you, and getting soaked in bad weather.

And if you have to transport anything and if there is a vaguely sensible cycling route the way you want to go

theboybilly

I am thinking of getting one but using it would be still be dependent on your schedule, your mission, if there will be more than one of you, and getting soaked in bad weather.

If you're going to buy an ebike nows the time with next year's bikes already coming to the showrooms. You can pick up a good deal on a 2019 bike (and even earlier if you do a bit of searching) A 250watt battery will do but try for a 400/500watt power pack. Most come complete with lights (at least at the medium to top end) and many come with racks and mudguards. I wouldn't worry too much about suspension forks unless you are doing a lot of riding on the rough stuff. My 2019 Giant Quick E is discounted by about £300 to £2100 but there are good bikes for a fair bit less should you wish

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If you're going to buy an ebike nows the time with next year's bikes already coming to the showrooms. You can pick up a good deal on a 2019 bike (and even earlier if you do a bit of searching) A 250watt battery will do but try for a 400/500watt power pack. Most come complete with lights (at least at the medium to top end) and many come with racks and mudguards. I wouldn't worry too much about suspension forks unless you are doing a lot of riding on the rough stuff. My 2019 Giant Quick E is discounted by about £300 to £2100 but there are good bikes for a fair bit less should you wish

I should hope you'd get lights and mudguards for £2100

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Thanks. I would probably convert my bike with something like the Copenhagen Wheel if I was going to go for electric to start with. I think they cost less than £200.

Converting rather than buying new e bikes is probably best for the average user, or at least to start with. I think encouraging this would help people slowly make the change. There should be a government incentive with bike shops and Halfords to fit them to used bikes if we are really serious about it.

My car cost me £500 12 years ago btw.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks. I would probably convert my bike with something like the Copenhagen Wheel if I was going to go for electric to start with. I think they cost less than £200.

Converting rather than buying new e bikes is probably best for the average user, or at least to start with. I think encouraging this would help people slowly make the change. There should be a government incentive with bike shops and Halfords to fit them to used bikes if we are really serious about it.

My car cost me £500 12 years ago btw.
I posted about an e-bike conversion kit on an 'electric bikes' thread a couple of months ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here