Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Looked really good I thought. Arrogant little get as well - which is like. Shouting at other players and demanding the ball. Great corner and is deceptively quick. Just has one of those slow looking gaits. Diddled one of their players with a nice drag back and pass in the second half. Definitely looks more of a midfielder or wing back though.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Impressive full debut. It's clear there will be an adjustment period for Colo and this run-in provides the perfect opportunity to gain some experience. Shame he was kind of stitched up for the third but that aside he was my MotM for the Albion. Very composed, positive attitude against a highly motivated City. A baptism of fire and I think Valentin did as much as anyone could have expected. I'd not loan him out, let him learn here.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Agree. He looked out of his depth at left back. Out of position for first goal, gifted them the third, a few other mistakes in there as well. Much better up field.
His cover for the overlap required a centre forward playing left midfield to have a detailed understanding of defending against an overlapping full back, he was very much on his own.

The third was a real case of whodunnit. Barco won the ball made space and went to play the forward pass into the space which had opened up on the left hand side. This was clearly the drill as he hesitated to see if anyone was going to move into the space. There was no response so he cut back towards the centre of the pitch and then tried a much riskier pass. The thing is we may never know who went to sleep and forgot what they were supposed to be doing.

PascalGroß Tips

Jan 29, 2024
His cover for the overlap required a centre forward playing left midfield to have a detailed understanding of defending against an overlapping full back, he was very much on his own.

The third was a real case of whodunnit. Barco won the ball made space and went to play the forward pass into the space which had opened up on the left hand side. This was clearly the drill as he hesitated to see if anyone was going to move into the space. There was no response so he cut back towards the centre of the pitch and then tried a much riskier pass. The thing is we may never know who went to sleep and forgot what they were supposed to be doing.
Great analysis. Well done on Pedro who went to Barco after to give him some reassurance. I was disappointed that none of the senior players did so - especially Dunk. Barco's confidence could have been completely blown after and he could have ended up hiding on the pitch. But I thought he was as good as anyone else and loved seeing him getting stuck in and winning tackles. Put in some decent (and different) corners too.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Hmmmmmm, tapped up already and in plain sight!!!
Doubt that was what it was about.

Barco doesn’t need to be tapped up to Citeh - they ‘apparently’ were in direct serious talks with Boca Jnrs for months (as far back as last August) about signing him - Pep will know Barco quite well personally because Citeh dealt with Barco and his agents directly when they went out to SA. Barco was apparently keen on joining them too but were they unable to offer the lad immediate Premier League football instead were looking to a loan period with Leicester City.

Having said that, Citeh will almost certainly be in Barco’s radar and they may come back for him in a few seasons, maybe as early as summer ‘25, once we have improved him 🙄

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
A lot of potential, raw yes, but he has skills that some of our players will never have. I like to see him get stronger, build muscle, but he has really nice touches but really does need to get physically stronger and deal with pressure better.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doubt that was what it was about.

Barco doesn’t need to be tapped up to Citeh - they ‘apparently’ were in direct serious talks with Boca Jnrs for months (as far back as last August) about signing him - Pep will know Barco quite well personally because Citeh dealt with Barco and his agents directly when they went out to SA. Barco was apparently keen on joining them too but were they unable to offer the lad immediate Premier League football instead were looking to a loan period with Leicester City.

Having said that, Citeh will almost certainly be in Barco’s radar and they may come back for him in a few seasons, maybe as early as summer ‘25, once we have improved him 🙄
I think @Surf's Up was being humerus. We occasionally see Pep with his arm round the shoulders of a opposition young player who has done well. :wink:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Someone may have mentioned this, but Hinshelwood had a pretty challenging debut (that walloping at Villa), then a rather dodgy start in the match at Forest….but he has class, and a great football brain - despite his age. I’m pretty sure Barco has the same attributes. We could easily see them at LB and RB next season (although Jack should probably play further forward).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here