Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Someone from Brighton will be out there with him and easy to arrange a local photographer

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I mean, to be even more boring my response to the original reply should have pointed out that at the time of receiving the 10mil from us, Barco wasn't tax domiciled in the UK and so anything he received whilst tax domiciled in Argentina would be absolutely nothing to do with HMRC, whether they'd give a toss or not.
Fair enough. Where is the Fridat thread, I want to share some great camomille tea I am having. :)

NorthStandSeagull

Apr 20, 2013
Hove
There's no income tax due on gifts. The £10mil to Barco would be a gift effectively. He's not doing any work for the club in return for recieving this £10mil. It just frees him up to then sign a contract of employment.

Similar scenario - when a parent gifts a child a deposit for a house - say £100k - the taxman doesn't try and take 40% of that do they?
No Income tax? No VAT? No money back? No guarantee?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is it just me who sees 2028 and thinks “wow. That’s a long contract” because it feels like more than a decade away? Time really does fly!
You need to put the bottle down, and go and get a nice glass of water.

You do know it’s 2024 and 2028 really is not a decade away.

here’s a link, you might find useful, they might be able to help.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is it just me who sees 2028 and thinks “wow. That’s a long contract” because it feels like more than a decade away? Time really does fly!
This decade feels like its gone on forever.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This deal has all been about Boca avoiding tax on transfer apparently - by turning down our offers and Boca instead terminating Barco’s contract and using the $10 m transfer release clause meant a lump sum up front and avoids being a transfer transaction subject to Argentina”s heavy transfer tax. Better for Brighton as it means no sell-on fee, money paid in one transaction (to Barco) but Barco’s agent loses out by all accounts:

“The reason is financial. Boca executives prefer to receive the whole fee upfront. If a deal goes through via the termination of the player’s contract, more goes directly into the club’s coffers and less tax will be deducted, significantly lower than the normal 25.5 percent that is levied by the sport’s governing body in Argentina and the national government on international transfers.”

Alternatively, if they had accepted Brighton’s offer:

’Boca Juniors would get ‘almost $7m’ from the deal, because 15% of the fee would go to the player, which will be added to 7% of AFIP withholdings, 2% going to Argentine FA, 1.2% of stamp taxes, 0.5% to the syndicate and ‘very probably’ 7% to the agent.’

YapBlue

Jan 9, 2024
Just wanted to share some feedback from a relative of mine who lives in Buenas Aires (he is Argentinian) and is a Boca fanatic. Here are a few extracts:

• He's been the best player of Boca in 2023. So talented
  • He started as a left side defender and as he was so talented the coach change his position and put him as a midfielder and in some matches as a forward
  • He is not so good when he has to defend, mostly because he is young and doesn't have a body. But he has a great attitude
  • He is small and needs a few visits to the gym
  • He has a strong personality. He started playing at the first team and didn't feel the pressure. He fastly became one of the 11 starters. He pushed the team forward in the field and has been very creative, something that the team needed desperately
  • On the otherside I can tell you that I also have my doubts about his personality. He played only 35 matches at Boca, and became famous very fast. This year he had a few problems in some matches because he make fun of some rivals
  • Yes, he has everything to be an important player of the team. He also played de U20 WC for Argentina
  • The thing that most impress me about him is that he played very well on the moments that Boca was a total disaster. Although he was new in the team he changed everything
  • Brighton seems to be a good destination for the young argentinian players, we have seen very all what happened with Alexis
  • The player had a few fights with his contract and wanted a low contractual clause (I don't know if that's the correct word) so he could be easily bought from a european team
In summary, a talent with a strong personality!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Just wanted to share some feedback from a relative of mine who lives in Buenas Aires (he is Argentinian) and is a Boca fanatic. Here are a few extracts:

• He's been the best player of Boca in 2023. So talented
  • He started as a left side defender and as he was so talented the coach change his position and put him as a midfielder and in some matches as a forward
  • He is not so good when he has to defend, mostly because he is young and doesn't have a body. But he has a great attitude
  • He is small and needs a few visits to the gym
  • He has a strong personality. He started playing at the first team and didn't feel the pressure. He fastly became one of the 11 starters. He pushed the team forward in the field and has been very creative, something that the team needed desperately
  • On the otherside I can tell you that I also have my doubts about his personality. He played only 35 matches at Boca, and became famous very fast. This year he had a few problems in some matches because he make fun of some rivals
  • Yes, he has everything to be an important player of the team. He also played de U20 WC for Argentina
  • The thing that most impress me about him is that he played very well on the moments that Boca was a total disaster. Although he was new in the team he changed everything
  • Brighton seems to be a good destination for the young argentinian players, we have seen very all what happened with Alexis
  • The player had a few fights with his contract and wanted a low contractual clause (I don't know if that's the correct word) so he could be easily bought from a european team
In summary, a talent with a strong personality!
He makes fun of rivals? Nowt wrong with that..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here