Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Did MacAllister have one when he first came? I'm not sure he did.

He did undoubtedly when we got him.to sign new contract before WC.

And I doubt a release clause was the main issue with Kudus, but the vast gulf in £ notes on offer from WHU.

Bloom is taking a risk, the lad will be playing under an exceptional coach in world's best league at a good level, a club that will truly develop his talents. If he already wants a clause before he even pulls on our shirt, so he can waltz off and leave club in lurch next January, then just leave him at Boca.

Do you want a 4.5 year deal or don't you?
The Kudus release clause was said at the time to be a sticking point as his people were aware of the Caicedo stalemate where he supposedly felt trapped by his contract. Who knows if this is true but it was cited several times on here. You're right, I believe the release clause was added to the renewed contract for Mac. Re the waltzing off next January, I guess a contract can have a caveat along the lines of there being a release clause but it not being activated for at least X years. Anyway, I admit I'm speculating here but after the Kudus disappointment I'm trying not to be complacent.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think that's the cold water Dwayne's referring to :rolleyes:
Brace yourself. We're about 48 hours at least away from the club announcement. In that 48 hours there will be a lot more panic , speculation and cold water on here sceptical that this transfer is either going to happen or someone else is coming along to "gazump it" .

They're not obviously . Its DONE. . But its how we'll use the time i guess.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Brace yourself. We're about 48 hours at least away from the club announcement. In that 48 hours there will be a lot more panic , speculation and cold water on here sceptical that this transfer is either going to happen or someone else is coming along to "gazump it" .

They're not obviously . Its DONE. . But its how we'll use the time i guess.

I imagine the club wouldn't have said anything if it hadn't been for the Argentinian journos announcing it, followed swiftly by the global Twittersphere

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did MacAllister have one when he first came? I'm not sure he did.

He did undoubtedly when we got him.to sign new contract before WC.

And I doubt a release clause was the main issue with Kudus, but the vast gulf in £ notes on offer from WHU.

Bloom is taking a risk, the lad will be playing under an exceptional coach in world's best league at a good level, a club that will truly develop his talents. If he already wants a clause before he even pulls on our shirt, so he can waltz off and leave club in lurch next January, then just leave him at Boca.

Do you want a 4.5 year deal or don't you?
As far as I know:

No he didn’t have a release clause in original contract. Apparently it was something his Dad pushed for and as he was running out of contract we agreed to it but it wasn’t a normal release clause - it was a clause where we had to start negotiations / add ons if it was met.

I also believe as a rule we simply don’t do release clauses. I know for a fact we try very much to stay away from them (PB said this before). They are a foreign thing more.

I do like this mentality as it takes the control out of our hands and it wouldn’t surprise me if it was the reason Kudos fell through - or he just wanted a bigger club which was also reported. Never know and prob never will.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Absolutely – and most people are of that disposition (as Sheebo assumed), which is perfectly fine with me. All I'm saying is that – for whatever reason – I'm not. I go into most Albion games thinking they'll lose. Then, if they don't it's a bonus and if they DO lose, I don't feel any worse than I did!

And I guess (without getting TOO deep), in my world, your last sentence has an element of truth. For numerous reasons, many based on events in the Bobkin family, we've learned to 'expect the unexpected', rather than really look forward to something. A lot of the time plans don't work out at all, or are not what we expected. Hence we approach with caution, rather than excitement.
Thanks for the lovely reply. There is a lot to digest in your last couple of sentences and it sounds like you have maybe had a difficult time, I would like to express my sympathies. As Burns said, the best laid plans....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, if we're into the realms of shenanigans then I believe PBOBE and TBMBE are pretty good shenanigan players :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for the lovely reply. There is a lot to digest in your last couple of sentences and it sounds like you have maybe had a difficult time, I would like to express my sympathies. As Burns said, the best laid plans....
Thank you for YOUR lovely reply, too. There are far worse off families than ours and those that have really struggled but, no, we've not had the easiest ride. I didn't mean to bring the mood down, but sometimes, context helps explain a lot. Naturally I'd be delighted to see another young Argentinian talent at the Amex, but I'll wait until it's official before I get carried away :lolol:

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Absolutely – and most people are of that disposition (as Sheebo assumed), which is perfectly fine with me. All I'm saying is that – for whatever reason – I'm not. I go into most Albion games thinking they'll lose. Then, if they don't it's a bonus and if they DO lose, I don't feel any worse than I did!

And I guess (without getting TOO deep), in my world, your last sentence has an element of truth. For numerous reasons, many based on events in the Bobkin family, we've learned to 'expect the unexpected', rather than really look forward to something. A lot of the time plans don't work out at all, or are not what we expected. Hence we approach with caution, rather than excitement.
You're not alone. That's how I live my life also.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It’s pretty much over for the Fat Lady so personally I am more realistically optimistic than some here - there comes a point where one has to base expectation on what the overall picture is telling you. Anyway more here on a local Argentinian paper (just right click/ highlight to translate in text) about the background (including a link btw to Colo’s X post that was suggested as being fake account above - maybe its not). Sounds like the relationship between Boca Jnrs and Barco’s agent has been stormy for months while Boca has been trying to negotiate better terms for his contract - I hope TB has suggested he gets rid of him tbh we had enough of unprofessional agents with Caceido’s lot. (According to this source, Boca agreed the lower amount of $10 million btw to stay under a tax legislation threshold rather than accept our offer of $10.5.)

'Ginger'. Messi told Argentina's players to stop calling Ali Mac 'Colo' because he didn't like it.

According to his twitter feed, he refers to himself as ‘el colo’ - ‘the red headed one’. ‘El’ gives it a slightly different connotation than just referring to someone‘s hair colour in a derogatory manner - It seems to be a term of endearment for Barco in Argentina which Barco seems happy to embrace.

Medical tests taking place in Argentina so he can carry on training with the U23s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here