[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From what I can gather here, I think the idea is that he currently has a $10m release clause, but if he signs the new contract on the table, that will be raised to $14m sometime next week. Brighton offered $10m + 10% sell on now in the hopes of getting this done before the new contract goes into effect and as a gesture of good will to Boca. If they don't go for it, they'll try and sneak in a straight $10m offer before the new contract is signed by Barco.
If Barco has decided he wants to come to us it’s not even a case of sneaking in…….we’re giving them a bit of time to consider the ‘bid’, if not we pay the release clause and it’s done.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It probably helps that we are now an established Premier League team. Three or four years ago, players would have been much harder to attract to "the new team on the block" that might or might not get relegated. We've probably been in the Prem for almost half the time he's been aware of the Prem.

Nicks

Which player did we sell just after he signed a new contract knowing full well he was going to leave us at the next transfer window ?
Same sort of thing Boca are doing now it seems to me.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
From what I can gather here, I think the idea is that he currently has a $10m release clause, but if he signs the new contract on the table, that will be raised to $14m sometime next week. Brighton offered $10m + 10% sell on now in the hopes of getting this done before the new contract goes into effect and as a gesture of good will to Boca. If they don't go for it, they'll try and sneak in a straight $10m offer before the new contract is signed by Barco.
Well yer this doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense that Boca would reject the sell on which would be a sh@t tonne more than 4m

And it makes no sense that we would not activate the clause before they raise to 14m. Although I guess the player can reject us , sign the new contract , then sign for us afterwards.

All a bit weird.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

It doesn't make sense that Boca would reject the sell on which would be a sh@t tonne more than 4m

And it makes no sense that we would not activate the clause before they raise to 14m. Although I guess the player can reject us , sign the new contract , then sign for us afterwards.

All a bit weird.
Meanwhile, he is being very heavily touted to other clubs by the Twitterarti.

Hopefully he made his mind up weeks ago.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

All a bit weird.
It may not be a shit tonne more than $4m to be fair to Boca.

For Boca to get that $4m as a 10% sell on, we’d need to sell Barco for at least $50m (£40m) at some point (which would likely make him one of the ten most expensive full backs ever). It may happen but it may also be the case that he becomes an important first team player for Brighton for a while before moving on towards the end of his contract for under $50m.

In that scenario, Boca would not only get less than $14m overall, but would also have to wait years for the additional money.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It may not be a shit tonne more than $4m to be fair to Boca.

For Boca to get that $4m as a 10% sell on, we’d need to sell Barco for at least $50m (£40m) at some point (which would likely make him one of the ten most expensive full backs ever). It may happen but it may also be the case that he becomes an important first team player for Brighton for a while before moving on towards the end of his contract for under $50m.

In that scenario, Boca would not only get less than $14m overall, but would also have to wait years for the additional money.
This…..$4m now vs the potential of maybe $5-6m maybe 3-4 years later wouldn’t be that attractive. However, seems unlikely Barco will sign a new deal (if he’s agreed terms with us) so trading 10% now for a longer-term sell-on with our recent record with gifted Sout American players and clueless, loaded owners of ‘big clubs’ does look like their best option. Perhaps TB is holding the best hand yet again

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

All a bit weird.
might, might be more than $4m. Alternatively, it could be less. Maybe a lot less. Or nothing at all. Say we sign him with the sell on, he flops and is let go on a free a couple years from now. Certainly we hope that doesn't happen, but it is a possibility. There are a lot of unknowns. Or what if he's a massive success, loves it here, and decides to play out his whole career here. Boca still get nothing from that sell on.

$4m in the hand is worth more than 10% sell-on in the bush.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Fingers crossed, wonderful prospect very highly rated. He will be the new love of my life, I want ginger kids tooo

Please have a "like' for getting the words right.

People have been singing 'I want ginger hair too' recently, missing the whole point of the song. It makes me so angry my teeth itch.

That's all - carry on.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Up to them I suppose but hopeful it will still happen, we just pay the release clause

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

So they’ve rejected the bid which means we can pay the 10 mill clause before Thursday.
Boca must be confident he will either sign up to a new deal or don’t expect us to pay the release clause to protect the relationship

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
Having read a few more google translate articles I think the current offer was 10 mill paid in two instalments with 10% of future sales profit,

So that can sort of make sense why bha might want to do that rather than a single payment release clause and why Boca might decline

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Having read a few more google translate articles I think the current offer was 10 mill paid in two instalments with 10% of future sales profit,

So that can sort of make sense why bha might want to do that rather than a single payment release clause and why Boca might decline
If the aim was to keep Boca onside for the future, and not piss them off, why not offer them a bit more than the release fee, with a sell on, rather than offering a bit less, but with more to come? A bit less, with jam tomorrow, would piss them off more than just offering them the release amount, surely?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
If the aim was to keep Boca onside for the future, and not piss them off, why not offer them a bit more than the release fee, with a sell on, rather than offering a bit less, but with more to come? A bit less, with jam tomorrow, would piss them off more than just offering them the release amount, surely?
Also why the hell is the club doing all of this negotiation via tweets and instagram posts? A professional club would be discussing this sort of deal quietly with their counterparts at Boca. TBMBE and PBOBE OUT!

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
IMG_1175.jpeg

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Also why the hell is the club doing all of this negotiation via tweets and instagram posts? A professional club would be discussing this sort of deal quietly with their counterparts at Boca. TBMBE and PBOBE OUT!
Are the Albion actually saying anything via the media?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Wouldn’t want this to turn into alternative Caicedo or Cucarella situation where his agents and social media are running the show. Wouldn’t be a good look and not bode well for the future.
Let the clubs sort behind the scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports