[Albion] Valentín Barco **Signed 20/01/24**

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
I believe 777, who are working on a takeover of Everton, own several others European clubs as well as one in South America.

I think with the third party player ownership issues that are still prevalent in South America, it is probably a bit more complicated to do the multi-club thing there. I’m only guessing though.
More buzzword bingo here...their 'brands' are at the bottom...

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Someone should have a word in Barco’s ear if he wants to play PL football in the near future and warn him TB may well walk away if he signs this new contract. City, where he has less chance of breaking into the first team may do the same too.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Been chasing this kid since the summer. Should really have it all wrapped up by now.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I find this all a bit odd, and remain convinced this won’t happen… on the slim chance he does sign, the expectation that he’ll be starting within a week is (again) unlikely at best.

We’re constantly told that one doesn’t learn De Zerbi ball overnight, and as such I’d expect any player to take weeks to adjust to our famed ‘tactical disposition.’ If a player (a young one at that) is signed from South America the period of personal adjustment is just as challenging… in other words, this idea we’ll offer more game time than City, in the short term, is fanciful.

Hinsh, for example, will be WAY ahead in terms of understanding what Roberto requires, even out of position… so expecting any kid, even a hot prospect to rock up and be holding down a starting position by mid-late Jan is simply not going to be the reality.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be delighted to see him sign and eventually become a starter (obviously), but that’s FAR more likely to happen by next season in truth.

In reality land I don’t expect him sign, as I still feel we’re being used to drive up things for the player and his agent… and if we do sign a new FB it’ll be someone we’ve not been linked to just yet.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I find this all a bit odd, and remain convinced this won’t happen… on the slim chance he does sign, the expectation that he’ll be starting within a week is (again) unlikely at best.

We’re constantly told that one doesn’t learn De Zerbi ball overnight, and as such I’d expect any player to take weeks to adjust to our famed ‘tactical disposition.’ If a player (a young one at that) is signed from South America the period of personal adjustment is just as challenging… in other words, this idea we’ll offer more game time than City, in the short term, is fanciful.

Hinsh, for example, will be WAY ahead in terms of understanding what Roberto requires, even out of position… so expecting any kid, even a hot prospect to rock up and be holding down a starting position by mid-late Jan is simply not going to be the reality.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be delighted to see him sign and eventually become a starter (obviously), but that’s FAR more likely to happen by next season in truth.

In reality land I don’t expect him sign, as I still feel we’re being used to drive up things for the player and his agent… and if we do sign a new FB it’ll be someone we’ve not been linked to just yet.
Good post, Kosh, and I tend to agree. I think what we need now - given the amount of long term injuries, clustered around certain positions - are players who are oven ready. To your point about learning our style, that’s not going to be easy to get around but I still think we will sign 2/3 players. And I reckon at least one will be be atypical for us (ie not a younger player nor a seasoned pro). I also think we will use the loan market…the Athletic is running a series on players who need a move this window and it strikes me that someone like Fabio Carvalho, Gio Reyna or even Jadon Sancho (wages dependent) are loan options worth considering.

This is an incredibly challenging/exciting time for TBMBE, PBOBE, RDZ and, above all, the recruitment team. Get it right and we can go deep in a cup and, with a fair wind, secure top 7 without f***ing up our financial structure.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Good post, Kosh, and I tend to agree. I think what we need now - given the amount of long term injuries, clustered around certain positions - are players who are oven ready. To your point about learning our style, that’s not going to be easy to get around but I still think we will sign 2/3 players. And I reckon at least one will be be atypical for us (ie not a younger player nor a seasoned pro). I also think we will use the loan market…the Athletic is running a series on players who need a move this window and it strikes me that someone like Fabio Carvalho, Gio Reyna or even Jadon Sancho (wages dependent) are loan options worth considering.

This is an incredibly challenging/exciting time for TBMBE, PBOBE, RDZ and, above all, the recruitment team. Get it right and we can go deep in a cup and, with a fair wind, secure top 7 without f***ing up our financial structure.
I like the idea of a loan - if possible, and I agree this could be a fascinating Jan. Equally, it might be quieter than any of expect or are craving… I’d love to see a sustainable show of ‘slight’ ambition, but the reality of playing hardball in the Jan transfer window might not pan out the way we’d like…

It’s as you allude to, going to be tricky - striking a balance whilst signing players who can realistically contribute prior to April !

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
475 posts on a thread for a player we haven’t even bid on and no concrete evidence that we actually want this player !

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
475 posts on a thread for a player we haven’t even bid on and no concrete evidence that we actually want this player !
And you’re adding to it

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm hoping Barco has a chat with Kalvin Phillips about the kind of prospects on offer at City...
Someone posted yesterday that Phillips doesn't get a look in at city because he is too thick to understand how City play and is subsequently uncoachable. I say that in a non-pejorative way because when I played I absolutely had no spatial or tactical awareness, no football 'brain' and was, consequently uncoachable. I think this may be related to the characteristic of possessing a good 'footballing brain'. This is a prized characteristic at Brighton. In contrast I can think of several high profile players who definitely don't have that: Gallagher and Jackson at Chelsea; Fernandes; and the worst of the lot, Marlon Harewood who always shot instead of passing to Zamora, duping the manager into thinking he was better than Zamora because his 'stats' proved it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Someone posted yesterday that Phillips doesn't get a look in at city because he is too thick to understand how City play and is subsequently uncoachable. I say that in a non-pejorative way because when I played I absolutely had no spatial or tactical awareness, no football 'brain' and was, consequently uncoachable. I think this may be related to the characteristic of possessing a good 'footballing brain'. This is a prized characteristic at Brighton. In contrast I can think of several high profile players who definitely don't have that: Gallagher and Jackson at Chelsea; Fernandes; and the worst of the lot, Marlon Harewood who always shot instead of passing to Zamora, duping the manager into thinking he was better than Zamora because his 'stats' proved it.
I heard that Newcastle are going to sign Phillips in the transfer window.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

From the Argus back in August.

"It is believed Barco is keen on the move but would love to stay with Boca all the time they remain in the Copa Libertadores, in which they have reached the last eight."

So this very much indicates that we want the player and have discussed the move with his representatives.

I'm confident we'll get it done, and all the other noise is coming from Boca, trying to drum up a bidding war to push up the price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports