Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vahid Hambo signs 2 year deal

strand

Jun 3, 2014
Some comments from Finland! :)

- played for HJK as youth, was highly rated but left to Italy in 2012, there were some reports that things with HJK didn't end well
- two seasons in Sampdoria's Primavera (U21 basically), regularly training with first team, playing with the Primavera
- second season was injured I think whole season
- returned to Finland to get first team football, first in second division's Ilves, then signed for Inter Turku in Finnish league last winter

In 2015:
- 5 goals in 5 League Cup games (this is a pre-season tournament for Finnish Veikkausliiga teams, some of it played indoors due to snow)
- 4 goals in 6 Veikkausliiga games
- 4 goals in 2 Finnish Cup games
- 3 goals in 2 friendly games for Finland U21 (2 against Kazakhstan, 1 against Luxembourg)
- suffered an unfortunate injury at some point
- there was a scandal surrounding him at some point this spring, when Inter were playing an away game somewhere, and a home fan shouted to him some stuff about the Yugoslav war and the genocides etc. Hambo got furious and reportedly was close to climbing the stands and attacking the fan. Can't remember all the details now

- was picked by Mixu Paatelainen to Finland's senior national team in June but had to withdraw due to injury, would probably have gotten his debut in Estonia friendly
- is anyway the obvious first striker in Finland U21 and would be perhaps 4th or 5th in Finland's senior team, Brighton move helps him a lot

- Veikkausliiga is not a great league, many half-amateur sides, but the top clubs aren't bad. Best club HJK was in Europa League group stage last season (could Brighton go through the qualifiers? Interesting question!), and could repeat it this year if they only win the champion of Kazakstan
- HJK have had within the last 12 months players like Ghana international Anthony Annan, Japan international Mike Havenaar (scored yesterday in UCL qualifier for them), Burkina Faso striker Aristide Bance, and Finland internationals Mikael Forssell, MIka Väyrynen and Teemu Tainio, so you can say it's a very strong team. Rest of the league isn't so strong, but there are some other decent sides.
- Out of these players strikers Bance and Havenaar have been complete flops in the Finnish league, Hambo has seemed much better

- there was interest for Hambo in Scandinavia, and he is the most hyped Finnish player this year
- he has said that he hasn't made his decision whether he'd like to play for Bosnia or Finland national team

Frankly the U21 league sounds far too weak for him, but I guess that's how it will play out. He'll be in the first team for sure sometime in 2015-16

Cheers!

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
a4634c5968e283c1134fb68a4f20c915.jpg

Who could it be?

Sex me?

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010

- played for HJK as youth, was highly rated but left to Italy in 2012, there were some reports that things with HJK didn't end well
- two seasons in Sampdoria's Primavera (U21 basically), regularly training with first team, playing with the Primavera
- returned to Finland to get first team football, first in second division's Ilves, then signed for Inter Turku in Finnish league last winter

In 2015:
- 5 goals in 5 League Cup games (this is a pre-season tournament for Finnish Veikkausliiga teams, some of it played indoors due to snow)
- 3 goals in 2 friendly games for Finland U21 (2 against Kazakhstan, 1 against Luxembourg)
- there was a scandal surrounding him at some point this spring, when Inter were playing an away game somewhere, and a home fan shouted to him some stuff about the Yugoslav war and the genocides etc. Hambo got furious and reportedly was close to climbing the stands and attacking the fan. Can't remember all the details now

- was picked by Mixu Paatelainen to Finland's senior national team in June but had to withdraw due to injury, would probably have gotten his debut in Estonia friendly
- is anyway the obvious first striker in Finland U21 and would be perhaps 4th or 5th in Finland's senior team, Brighton move helps him a lot

- Veikkausliiga is not a great league, many half-amateur sides, but the top clubs aren't bad. Best club HJK was in Europa League group stage last season (could Brighton go through the qualifiers? Interesting question!), and could repeat it this year if they only win the champion of Kazakstan
- HJK have had within the last 12 months players like Ghana international Anthony Annan, Japan international Mike Havenaar (scored yesterday in UCL qualifier for them), Burkina Faso striker Aristide Bance, and Finland internationals Mikael Forssell, MIka Väyrynen and Teemu Tainio, so you can say it's a very strong team. Rest of the league isn't so strong, but there are some other decent sides.
- Out of these players strikers Bance and Havenaar have been complete flops in the Finnish league, Hambo has seemed much better

- there was interest for Hambo in Scandinavia, and he is the most hyped Finnish player this year
- he has said that he hasn't made his decision whether he'd like to play for Bosnia or Finland national team

Frankly the U21 league sounds far too weak for him, but I guess that's how it will play out. He'll be in the first team for sure sometime in 2015-16

Cheers!

Great post
Thanks

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
Aren't you using exactly the same lack of knowledge to write him off before he's kicked a ball?

I don't think anyone's saying he's a world beater but there's not much point supporting a club if you can't be optimistic about a new signing.

Except Leon Best. I wouldn't be optimistic about Leon Best.
Leon Best is a feckless turd in my opinion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seriously, what's wrong with some of you lot? Would you actually prefer we DIDN'T sign this young international forward with potential? Good grief. The club is looking to do the right thing in signing talent for now and for the future and all some of you can do is moan.
It's good to see the club has actually listened to ME, instead of all you other MUGS with your moist knickered pleas for Bobby. :lol:

#bringbackbobby.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just imagine Hambo had signed for ANY other championship club.

Half the saddos on this thread would be questioning why we were not prepared to gamble on a fast tall untried striker.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

In 2015:

Cheers!

Sounds good. Hopefully he'll get a chance this season.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
He is already injured , has a history of being injured so should fit in really well ! Good luck though and hope he is a success

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

In 2015:

Cheers!

Great post. Thank you Strand. And welcome to the Albion Vahid.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Good spot Neville if youre on NSC

Neville says...
1:48pm Wed 22 Jul 15.

I see Ashley Barnes has let his hair grow,nice to see him back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You know that I love you boy
Hot like Mexico, rejoice
At this point I gotta choose
Nothing to loose
Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alehambo

Alehambo
Alehambo
Ale-ale-hambo
Ale-ale-hambo

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The Finland league has a similar ranking to that of Ireland. So basically he's a free scoring young forward that we've signed from a team like, say, Shamrock Rovers.

Not the immediate first team player we are looking for, but hey, I'm pretty pleased we've signed him.

Probably what Reading fans said when they signed Kevin Doyle and Shane Long. Turned out well for them.

Watching the video I loved the first goal and the one clearly offside but dispatched first time with the outside of the boot. Intriguing signing, He was in the Sampdoria youth team so can't be all bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here