Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Using a SKY HD "box" for Freesat

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Hello All,

Due to the recent BBC standard definition switch off, my incredibly old Sky box can no longer receive the affected BBC channels.

I have neve been a Sky subscriber or owned a viewing card etc.

Can I use a DRX890 box without anything other than electrickery and a dish, signal cables etc. to watch these BBC channels in HD?

Library photo for @Chicken Run
1707763141177.png

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Hello All,

Due to the recent BBC standard definition switch off, my incredibly old Sky box can no longer receive the affected BBC channels.

Can I use a DRX890 box without anything other than electrickery and a dish, signal cables etc. to watch these BBC channels in HD?

View attachment 175690

Thanks!!
Silly question I know but why don’t you try it?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yes, you should be able to as long as the box is HD. I didn't even know that SD had been turned off! :unsure:
Have you just tried rescanning your old box? Channels occasionally 'move'.
Edit ignore the channel moving bit, as long as the box is HD, it will work.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Silly question I know but why don’t you try it?
I don't currently have a box, the image was from Google so that folks who don't know the model designation would know what I was intending to source if it would work.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I don't currently have a box, the image was from Google so that folks who don't know the model designation would know what I was intending to source if it would work.
If it's an HD receiver box, it will work. You don't need a 'sky' box you can just get a HD sat box from anywhere.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hello All,

Library photo for @Chicken Run
View attachment 175690

Thanks!!
Yep……you should see all the free to air channels in the same way (not ‘freesat’ though which is a different service). No viewing card needed.

Jul 7, 2003
I did this a few years ago. Bought a Sky box from the British Heart Foundation shop for a tenner, connected it up to the old satellite dish and it worked fine for freesat viewing but it won't record.

When we moved house and didn't need it, I donated the box back to the BHF to sell again.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Yep……you should see all the free to air channels in the same way (not ‘freesat’ though which is a different service). No viewing card needed.
Free to air channels is what is known as 'Freeview' & you need an aerial. Freesat is via a sat dish which is what @Papak has and it's called Freesat, you don't need to pay or get any cards, you just need a Freesat (HD) receiver and a dish pointing at the Astra satellite which I think is 28.2 degrees (if the satellite and degrees are right, I'm officially tragic). :lolol:
Edit... just checked, I'm officially tragic. :facepalm:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Free to air channels is what is known as 'Freeview' & you need an aerial. Freesat is via a sat dish which is what @Papak has and it's called Freesat, you don't need to pay or get any cards, you just need a Freesat (HD) receiver and a dish pointing at the Astra satellite which I think is 28.2 degrees (if the satellite and degrees are right, I'm officially tragic). :lolol:
Edit... just checked, I'm officially tragic. :facepalm:
Correct, I was confused between freesat and freeview 🤣

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Correct, I was confused between freesat and freeview 🤣
This was one of those occasions where I was hoping someone would say I was wrong, especially as I don't use a sat dish anymore, It's there for back up now!
@Papak just type into Amazon via NSC link 'hd freesat receiver' there are loads and you can record on some. (y)

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Thanks all, I will try and source a box on FB Marketplace as there are quite a few about and less than a tenner!!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Thanks all, I will try and source a box on FB Marketplace as there are quite a few about and less than a tenner!!

You should be able to use that Sky box you have already but you will need to reposition the satellite dish to the Astra 28.2°E satellite (if the dish is pointing towards the Sky satellite).

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
You should be able to use that Sky box you have already but you will need to reposition the satellite dish to the Astra 28.2°E satellite (if the dish is pointing towards the Sky satellite).
I have an old white box not the image in my OP which is what I believe I need to source.

I'll post the model number etc. later when I'm home.

Thanks

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Sky uses the Astra satellite. If you go down the street and look at where the dishes are facing they'll all be pointing the same direction, unless someone is picking up channels from diff satellites to perhaps watch the football or something. 😉

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I have a spare sky+ HD box and a dish if you would like them. It can be used as a freesat box yes, with the correct LNB type on the dish (not wideband like the Q dish)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I have an old white box not the image in my OP which is what I believe I need to source.

Thanks

Ah OK, know someone that uses the same box as the picture and that works.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

Thanks
I have one of these currently (Amstrad DRX280):

1707921249965.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here