Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Use this thread to slag Southgate off before and after the match tonight

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Another, competent, manager would get a lot more out of this squad.
Get a decent back line in for starters as the attackers and midfielders have enough about them.
Need the right balance too. Far too defensive a line up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought we played quite well. Disappointed Tony didn't get on. We have some decent players and were set up to win.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
3-2 win would have meant that the team would have gone into the World Cup with a bunch of confidence, because the narrative and emotions would have been a lot different.

The 3-3 goal... not back to rock bottom maybe as you actually scored a few, but that goal could turn out very important in a not so positive way.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The squad have character and Bellingham is great.

The team selection killed an atmosphere that was already flat, encapsulated by the PA turning down the chorus to Three Lions and no-one singing it.

Southgate picked a team that would teach him zilch. Last chance to try out players wasted. If there is a plan b, he doesn’t believe in it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The squad have character and Bellingham is great.

The team selection killed an atmosphere that was already flat, encapsulated by the PA turning down the chorus to Three Lions and no-one singing it.

Southgate picked a team that would teach him zilch. Last chance to try out players wasted. If there is a plan b, he doesn’t believe in it.

Let’s be fair here, he can’t very well have a plan B, if he hasn’t even got a plan A

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Another, competent, manager would get a lot more out of this squad.
Get a decent back line in for starters as the attackers and midfielders have enough about them.
Need the right balance too. Far too defensive a line up.

That's my feelings too. I've said enough about Southgate already, so no need to rehash it again.

Like it or not, he's got the gig for the tournament, so he's got my support if not exactly my full confidence.

Our best option is to try and maximize our riches and Saka's pace in attacking midfield and go for it, like we did in the last 20.

It doesn't have to be gung-ho, cavalier stuff, but anything's got to be better than slow, ineffective passing.

It's going to go against Southgate's naturally defensive outlook, but something has to change.

In the last 20 minutes, we looked dangerous going forward, but the defence didn't look assured throughout the game.

Over the 6 Nations games, 10 goals conceded and only 1 clean sheet isn't going to win us the World Cup on defence alone.

He's got the players to go deep in the tournament, but does Southgate have the flexibility of tactics? Time will tell.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Can’t be bothered to trawl through all five pages as am sure it’s been said but can you imagine what Potter could have got out of this squad? Even if you pick the same lame squad as Southgate Potter would have them purring; people popping up all over the place unexpectedly. We would have scared the shit out of so many teams and crucially with tournament football we would have been in EVERY game.

Southgate is to football management what stippling, wall papering and painting - diy guide is to the documentary world. A ****ing waste of time. The performances we’ve got out of this team with him at the helm have been in spite of him not because of him.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Can’t be bothered to trawl through all five pages as am sure it’s been said but can you imagine what Potter could have got out of this squad? Even if you pick the same lame squad as Southgate Potter would have them purring; people popping up all over the place unexpectedly. We would have scared the shit out of so many teams and crucially with tournament football we would have been in EVERY game.

Southgate is to football management what stippling, wall papering and painting - diy guide is to the documentary world. A ****ing waste of time. The performances we’ve got out of this team with him at the helm have been in spite of him not because of him.

You might get to see it in the New Year. Fingers crossed.

Sep 9, 2010

I think Potter would also work wonders for England.

He took a while to instill his philosophies with us and it's been said he wouldn't get the luxury of time, due to the infrequency of England matches and training camps but 2 things to consider:

1. He's an intelligent guy. He'd certainly look to adapt his approach, knowing his time with the group is limited. He'd look to the core values of his philosophies and identify the quick wins to get the ball rolling, so to speak. I doubt he would take the same approach as he does when working day in day out at club level. Start with the basics, perhaps his plan A and plan B, leaving aside plans C to Z to begin with.

2. The respective starting points for us and England aren't comparable. Yes it took a few years for our squad to develop into the slick machine we are now, but he would be working with players who are arguably of a higher calibre to begin with. Their starting point is surely more advanced than ours was a few years back by virtue of them all being world class elite players, so I would hope they'd take things on board quicker and need less time to understand and implement GPs training.

Of course it's a moot point with GP having just moved to Chelsea on a long contract.

Or is it?

What if there's a way for him to be involved in the England set up without having to leave Chelsea? I don't know enough about the structure within the FA, but could he be given responsibility to put together a coaching team and scouting team to filter down his philosophies, and then take charge of matches? Perhaps this is pie in the sky. It's not a game of "Football Manager' after all. But could it work? I just read an article the other day that Frank Lampard or Stevie G could be next in line after Southgate and I'm worried for the future of English football!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'd find that quite amusing if GP scooted off for the England job leaving Chelsea in the lurch.

Would Boehly then come calling for RDZ though? ;-)

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

He can go after that bloke in Scandinavia we were supposedly after.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here