Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] USA

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
How are you getting on regarding vaccination? My son who is over there on a work visa and all the vaccination info refers to American citizens, no mention of if / when it will be available to those non Americans there on visa's.

I got dual citizenship a while back but also no question ever came up at any point, didnt have to give SSN or anything like that. Just entered name, DOB, all the basic info. If you have medical insurance you have to enter the info, if not then you just select 'I dont have any' - no cost to you either way. I'd suggest he signs up through normal procedure and it shouldn't come up. I have a number of clients here on different visas and haven't heard of any issues. Good luck to him!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Best experience I've ever had at the parks in Florida last month, all pretty much empty.

You don't need a fast pass when theres no queues.

By July /August everything will be fully open I have absolutely no doubt about that. However I wouldn't go then based on the fact that I'm imagining the whole of the US will be going there plus loads of tourists.

Florida is perfectly fine to visit. Although now is spring break which is an absolute nightmare/disaster zone.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Went last week it was excellent. Magic And Animal Kingdoms and Epcot. Masks rigorously enforced. Very civilized.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Biden administration eyes mid-May to begin relaxing Covid travel restrictions, sources say

The Biden administration is looking toward the middle of May to relax restrictions on travel across the borders with Mexico and Canada and on inbound international travel from the U.K., Europe and Brazil, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/18/bid...g-covid-travel-restrictions-sources-say-.html

Ties in what I’ve Been told as well

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, the Express Passes can be pricey.

If there's 3 or 4 of you, it may well be cheaper to stay in one of the Royal Pacific, Hard Rock or Portofino Bay which are Universal's three premium"on-site hotels. Stays at these hotels come with inclusive and unlimited Express Passes, so you can each ride as many times as you like.

Even if you're staying somewhere else, it can be worth a one-night stay - just take overnight bags with you from your main accommodation. Check-in early in the morning and even if your room isn't ready you can head straight to the parks with your Express Passes. Everyone can have a drink if they want, as no-one has to drive home, and you get a second day of Express Passes on your checkout day too, so you could visit one park each day or park hop on both days.

We did that a few years ago, i one night stay at the Hard Rock ans checked in at 7am in the morning so we had Express Passes for two days. never told the kids only the night before warning them they have to be up early the next morning. If memory serves me right for 5 of us it was less that £300, very cheap fast passes and the kids always remember this Florida trip over all the others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good to hear, my son lives in Chicago, not seen him in over a year,
Were on the first plane over available.

I have been to the US quite a few times but I hadn’t really considered going to Chicago. But, I went there for the marathon and was blown away by the place. I want to go back.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I have been to the US quite a few times but I hadn’t really considered going to Chicago. But, I went there for the marathon and was blown away by the place. I want to go back.

Likewise travelled the US many times but to be fair mostly tourist places. But cost or living in Chicago is on another level. Its akin to being London with London costs. Great place but don’t expect budget eating places. Average eating was $30-$40 per head. Florida or Vegas it isn’t !
Happy hour at the pub was $8 a pint. To the extreme at a ice hockey game it was $12 a pint !. but all the same fantastic place and cant wait to get back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Likewise travelled the US many times but to be fair mostly tourist places. But cost or living in Chicago is on another level. Its akin to being London with London costs. Great place but don’t expect budget eating places. Average eating was $30-$40 per head. Florida or Vegas it isn’t !
Happy hour at the pub was $8 a pint. To the extreme at a ice hockey game it was $12 a pint !. but all the same fantastic place and cant wait to get back.

That’ll be them wanky craft beer bars!

It ticks so many of my boxes I was puzzled why it had never registered as a destination with me before.

Can I be nosey and ask what your son does out there?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
That’ll be them wanky craft beer bars!

It ticks so many of my boxes I was puzzled why it had never registered as a destination with me before.

Can I be nosey and ask what your son does out there?

I lived there for six months a few years back. Great city, no doubt, but fortunately I avoided the winter which can be brutal. Also there are very few places nearby worth visiting apart from Milwaukee.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I lived there for six months a few years back. Great city, no doubt, but fortunately I avoided the winter which can be brutal. Also there are very few places nearby worth visiting apart from Milwaukee.

That’s a good point. I remember sitting somewhere outside having some food and my eyes fixed on a road sign warning drivers the council stop clearing snow after it’s over 3 feet or something....then there’s the slow realization how deep that is and how often it must happen for the need for signs.

For me the city has it all though: music current and past, vibrant craft beer scene, coffee scene, vibrant food scene, water, loads of incredible architecture from the overhead rail line to the skyscrapers and everything in between plus a brilliant organization to look after and promote this plus some amazing areas and ‘hoods to visit and a very interesting urban history and immigration pattern.

I’ll overlook the crime :lolol:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
That’s a good point. I remember sitting somewhere outside having some food and my eyes fixed on a road sign warning drivers the council stop clearing snow after it’s over 3 feet or something....then there’s the slow realization how deep that is and how often it must happen for the need for signs.

For me the city has it all though: music current and past, vibrant craft beer scene, coffee scene, vibrant food scene, water, loads of incredible architecture from the overhead rail line to the skyscrapers and everything in between plus a brilliant organization to look after and promote this plus some amazing areas and ‘hoods to visit and a very interesting urban history and immigration pattern.

I’ll overlook the crime :lolol:

I went there are few years ago to watch the Ireland v All Blacks rugby game at Soldierfield. Didn't really know what to expect but Chicago is an incredible city. As it was November it was brutally cold but so much to see and experience. Didn't get up the Sears Tower as there was a 4 hour queueing time so did the John Hancock Center observatory instead which whilst not as tall had just as spectacular a view. Loads of art and culture plus all the great bars, and a Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville restaurant - who could ask for more

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Jimmys Corner Bar just down from Times Square is a great dive bar where NYs go. Great atmosphere and very cheap beer. Jimmy was there when we were but understand he has just died from Covid but the bar will go on. Google it.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Jimmys Corner Bar just down from Times Square is a great dive bar where NYs go. Great atmosphere and very cheap beer. Jimmy was there when we were but understand he has just died from Covid but the bar will go on. Google it.

Good call. One of the best and cheapest dive bars in New York. Also one of the narrowest. Amazing cross section of life, from Wall Street types to construction workers all getting on and enjoying a beer. I remember when Jimmy's Russian wife used to be in charge behind the bar, very efficient, didn't take any crap but always made you welcome. Jimmy would just hover in the background with a big smile on his face

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Good call. One of the best and cheapest dive bars in New York. Also one of the narrowest. Amazing cross section of life, from Wall Street types to construction workers all getting on and enjoying a beer. I remember when Jimmy's Russian wife used to be in charge behind the bar, very efficient, didn't take any crap but always made you welcome. Jimmy would just hover in the background with a big smile on his face

Rudy's with free hot dogs was another one I enjoyed and not that far away. Such a shame Jimmy has gone.to Covid.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting to note that Ireland put the US on their red list for travel yesterday, presumably due to concern about variants, specifically P1.

Also, some interesting analysis on the vaccine situation in the US and that, although things seem to be going very well currently, they could very soon reach the point where all those who will take a vaccine will have received it, leaving a potentially sizeable chunk of vaccine-sceptics that won't.

An analysis released by Surgo Ventures yesterday concluded that "the supply-demand shift for the vaccine will happen earlier than expected — as early as the end of April — and before the nation reaches the 70-90% threshold for achieving herd immunity."

It released a survey finding that 59% of U.S. adults say they're either already vaccinated, or plan to be as soon as the shot is made available to them. At the current U.S. vaccination rate, all of those vaccine-enthusiastic adults could be inoculated by the end of April.

Vaccination rates will then slow, and Surgo's projections show that only around 52% of Americans will be vaccinated by July. When combined with people who have already been infected, the immunity rate overall may be around 65% by then — still not high enough for herd immunity.

What they're saying: “This analysis shows that despite the general vaccine enthusiasm we are seeing now in the United States, things are going to get really difficult really soon,” said Sema Sgaier, Surgo's CEO.​

Source and more >>> https://www.axios.com/america-coron...tes-34755cbf-384e-4539-bb45-68a775581f6f.html

Full press release: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...se-Surgo+Ventures+Gen+Pop+Followup+Survey.pdf

Finally, things seem to be worsening rapidly in a few states, most notably Michigan. The state made a request for a greater volume of vaccines from Biden, who said "no". Health professionals are calling for more restrictions as hospital conditions worsen, but the governor is not make any mandatory calls, at least not yet, seemingly relying on guidance and requests now. Things are moving in the wrong direction in Florida again, although not to the same extent as Michigan.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Gah. I was thinking about booking Florida next Easter but I think thats looking increasingly unlikely or at the very least with significant restrictions in place. Just seems more trouble than its worth at the minute.

Back to Norfolk websites then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gah. I was thinking about booking Florida next Easter but I think thats looking increasingly unlikely or at the very least with significant restrictions in place. Just seems more trouble than its worth at the minute.

Back to Norfolk websites then.

Not sure there will be significant restrictions in place in Florida, not as long as DeSantis is running things anyway. He's just had a video pulled from YouTube for violating their terms on spreading Covid-19 medical misinformation.

The bigger issue for UK holidaymakers may be being permitted to visit the US in the first place, and returning without a hotel quarantine being required.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Not sure there will be significant restrictions in place in Florida, not as long as DeSantis is running things anyway. He's just had a video pulled from YouTube for violating their terms on spreading Covid-19 medical misinformation.

The bigger issue for UK holidaymakers may be being permitted to visit the US in the first place, and returning without a hotel quarantine being required.

I find it highly unlikely the USA will be on the red list, the talks between us and the states are progressing well and I expect flights to be starting up in June

What I imagine will happen is a LFT test before you depart and on Arrival - which is what is happening with the Milan - NYC trial route atm

4.6 million jabs yesterday and 176 jabs in total - I imagine the anti vax people will get a jab despite the talk.

Looking at the states - Georgia is the only state that really stands out for low uptake.

The one shot Johnson and Johnson will make it easier to convince

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here