Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] USA Testing to be dropped

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was hoping this would be announced before we travel to Pennsylvania in September :thumbsup:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Going to New York in July and this is amazing news. On that note, if anyone's got any tips for New York please do share. I've not been before. Spoke with a mate who was there a couple of weeks ago and described as like nothing he's seen before in years of going. Seems like they are in a no-mans-land where weed is decriminalised but as yet not licenced to be sold but is being sold everywhere anyway, and the levels of use are astronomical as years of prohibition come to an end. He's pretty open-minded about things but was still taken aback by what he said was a level of anti-social behaviour and lawlessness and aggression which was off the scale compared to previous years - not directly because of the weed, but the sense now that anything goes and there's not enough police to do anything about it. Hopefully it might calm down a bit over the next few weeks!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Seems like they are in a no-mans-land where weed is decriminalised but as yet not licenced to be sold but is being sold everywhere anyway, and the levels of use are astronomical as years of prohibition come to an end. He's pretty open-minded about things but was still taken aback by what he said was a level of anti-social behaviour and lawlessness and aggression which was off the scale compared to previous years - not directly because of the weed, but the sense now that anything goes and there's not enough police to do anything about it. Hopefully it might calm down a bit over the next few weeks!

Everywhere you went in New York it reeked of weed, so they realised they were were wasting their time and legalized it. It has become a lot more lawless and aggressive post pandemic particularly on the subways with more random attacks and a general feeling of unease, so I would say exercise some caution and you will be fine.

Enjoy NYC

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going to New York in July and this is amazing news. On that note, if anyone's got any tips for New York please do share. I've not been before. Spoke with a mate who was there a couple of weeks ago and described as like nothing he's seen before in years of going. Seems like they are in a no-mans-land where weed is decriminalised but as yet not licenced to be sold but is being sold everywhere anyway, and the levels of use are astronomical as years of prohibition come to an end. He's pretty open-minded about things but was still taken aback by what he said was a level of anti-social behaviour and lawlessness and aggression which was off the scale compared to previous years - not directly because of the weed, but the sense now that anything goes and there's not enough police to do anything about it. Hopefully it might calm down a bit over the next few weeks!

West Village. Sadly The Spotted Pig has now closed but The Tavern on Jane and The Blind Tiger are still there. The west village itself is a lovely place to wander around.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Everywhere you went in New York it reeked of weed, so they realised they were were wasting their time and legalized it. It has become a lot more lawless and aggressive post pandemic particularly on the subways with more random attacks and a general feeling of unease, so I would say exercise some caution and you will be fine.

Enjoy NYC

It’s going to be interesting to see if the Weed smell is going to put people off going, I’ve seen a lot of complaints about it since the reopening in Nov

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It’s going to be interesting to see if the Weed smell is going to put people off going, I’ve seen a lot of complaints about it since the reopening in Nov

It is pretty rank especially on hot days with very little breeze, it's worse just outside the big transport hubs like Grand Central. And yes, it may well put off some people from visiting

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t smoke myself but I smell it often at home and on my city travels and can’t say it bothers me or impacts me. Out of interest, what sort of people are complaining?

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
Be careful at night and make sure you're around people. Around Penn St has become very run down. Lots of stores boarded up across the city. Its really quite sad to compare how things were 3 year ago to today. Out and about in the summer daylight should be fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is pretty rank, it's worse just outside the big transport hubs like Grand Central. And yes, it may well put off some people from visiting

Guess you have answered my question :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

sounds like Paris ....i have been to NY a few times ...it has changed so much , i was last there in 2019 and despite living there before i was actually happy to leave , heavy atmosphere.

i wouldn't want to put you off going though ,definitely one eye opener...:thumbsup:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
sounds like Paris ....i have been to NY a few times ...it has changed so much , i was last there in 2019 and despite living there before i was actually happy to leave , heavy atmosphere.

i wouldn't want to put you off going though ,definitely one eye opener...:thumbsup:

It has unfortunately got worse with more random racist attacks particularly on American Asians. The amount of homeless and people with mental health problems has increased and is not really being addressed.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don’t smoke myself but I smell it often at home and on my city travels and can’t say it bothers me or impacts me. Out of interest, what sort of people are complaining?

It’s an issue in Orlando as well.

Mixture of people really, there isn’t a certain type - I’ve not been to New York since the change, but apparently it’s bad, really bad and everywhere.

I found it has gotten worse in Vegas, but Its Vegas.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Be careful at night and make sure you're around people. Around Penn St has become very run down. Lots of stores boarded up across the city. Its really quite sad to compare how things were 3 year ago to today. Out and about in the summer daylight should be fine.

The same as in any of the world's mega cities l guess, you just need to exercise common sense.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great news - I was going to book tests for our July trip this weekend.

I'd been holding off but with BA.4 and BA.5 sending infections up again, I figured with cases likely to rise over the next month or two, there was little chance of the testing requirement being removed.

With Bozza jnr in school and Mrs B working in education, I was convinced our Feb trip would be scuppered but we managed to all be negative at the right time. I feared we weren't going to be so lucky come July.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It has unfortunately got worse with more random racist attacks particularly on American Asians. The amount of homeless and people with mental health problems has increased and is not really being addressed.

its ****ed up mate , thus my commenting on the BLM stuff in Minneapolis when Floyd got weighed in ....heavy , heavy shit mate .......it's not like that in British society ....not as i know it anyway...:smokin:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Great news - I was going to book tests for our July trip this weekend.

I'd been holding off but with BA.4 and BA.5 sending infections up again, I figured with cases likely to rise over the next month or two, there was little chance of the testing requirement being removed.

With Bozza jnr in school and Mrs B working in education, I was convinced our Feb trip would be scuppered but we managed to all be negative at the right time. I feared we weren't going to be so lucky come July.

i thought you were going to Albania..!!!!?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Since covid NY has definitely suffered more with anti social behaviour & some rising crime . I tend to stick to the upper east side of Manhattan when I go , very little trouble there .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here