Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] US Diplomat Wife Fatal Car Crash

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Who wants to see her “ run over”.?..... terrible thing to say .

I get the parent’s grief but diplomatic immunity is a fact of life enjoyed by British diplomats abroad too. If she were prosecuted, it would not bring their boy back......

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Who wants to see her “ run over”.?..... terrible thing to say .

I get the parent’s grief but diplomatic immunity is a fact of life enjoyed by British diplomats abroad too. If she were prosecuted, it would not bring their boy back......

It would bring some closure and justice. Blimey, diplomatic immunity is not meant for stuff like this!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It would bring some closure and justice. Blimey, diplomatic immunity is not meant for stuff like this!

Looking at it another way, a diplomat could go and run Trump over with impunity. You need to see the positives.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
View Profile
Ann Elizabeth Goodwin | Vienna, Virginia
Relatives:
Andrea G Goodwin, Delta L Whitfield, Jonathan P Sacoolas
Phone Number:
703-801-1107, 703-821-8575
Social Profiles:
Twitter Profiles Twitter
Email:
ann***@hotmail.com, cowpi*****@hotmail.com
Seen As:
Anne E Sacoolas, Anne Sacoolas

Addresses:
10119 Westford Dr, Vienna, VA; 10807 Oldfield Dr, Reston, VA; 20928 Stanmoor Ter, Sterling, VA
Previous Locations:
Alexandria, VA; Arlington, VA; Mclean, VA; Mc Lean, VA; Falls Church, VA; Fairfax, VA; Columbia, SC; Aiken, SC

Anybody live near Washington?
Email the culprit?
Phone her up?

EDIT: It seems the Sky News has already tried to contact Mrs Sacoolas at her previous addresses.

Sky News has tried to contact Mrs Sacoolas for comment but was unable to do so as she has not returned to her original address in the US.

I suspect anyone thinking about that will consider the consequences of getting on the wrong side of the American Secret Service.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I suspect anyone thinking about that will consider the consequences of getting on the wrong side of the American Secret Service.

Just reading Stormy Daniels (I know) autobiography and, if you believe what’s written, had a man come up to her while she was getting her baby daughter out of her car, his words: “Lovely baby, you wouldn’t want her growing up without a mother” i.e. drop the allegations against Trump, which pushed her into going public with it for her safety.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I would imagine if 10 Downing Street agreed to investigate Joe Biden for criminal acts Mrs Saccoolas would be returned to UK within hours.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
what is diplomatic immunity actually supposed to be for nowadays (or in fact any days)? honest question, I just don't really get the concept.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
what is diplomatic immunity actually supposed to be for nowadays (or in fact any days)? honest question, I just don't really get the concept.

Diplomatic immunity is a form of legal immunity that ensures diplomats are given safe passage and are considered not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution under the host country's laws, but they can still be expelled. Modern diplomatic immunity was codified as international law in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961) which has been ratified by all but a handful of nations. The concept and custom of diplomatic immunity dates back thousands of years. Many principles of diplomatic immunity are now considered to be customary law. Diplomatic immunity was developed to allow for the maintenance of government relations, including during periods of difficulties and armed conflict. When receiving diplomats, who formally represent the sovereign, the receiving head of state grants certain privileges and immunities to ensure they may effectively carry out their duties, on the understanding that these are provided on a reciprocal basis.

Originally, these privileges and immunities were granted on a bilateral, ad hoc basis, which led to misunderstandings and conflict, pressure on weaker states, and an inability for other states to judge which party was at fault. An international agreement known as the Vienna Convention codified the rules and agreements, providing standards and privileges to all states.

It is possible for the official's home country to waive immunity; this tends to happen only when the individual has committed a serious crime, unconnected with their diplomatic role (as opposed to, say, allegations of spying), or has witnessed such a crime. However, many countries refuse to waive immunity as a matter of course; individuals have no authority to waive their own immunity[1] (except perhaps in cases of defection). Alternatively, the home country may prosecute the individual. If immunity is waived by a government so that a diplomat (or their family members) can be prosecuted, it must be[according to whom?] because there is a case to answer and it is in the public interest to prosecute them. For instance, in 2002, a Colombian diplomat in London was prosecuted for manslaughter, once diplomatic immunity was waived by the Colombian government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomatic_immunity

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
The USA. like many other countries, issues diplomatic passports to those who are not technically members of their diplomatic corps such as high ranking civil servants and military personnel. They go abroad on Government, but not diplomatic, business. Such passports make it easier for them to pass through frontier controls. However, in this country they have to be accredited to the Court of St. James to be granted full diplomatic status. I note that the husband works and lives at a military facility in Northamptonshire, which suggests that he is not a diplomat, although holding a diplomatic passport, but military. If so, diplomatic immunity cannot apply. That does not mean, of course, that the US would send her back to UK. One question - did she return to USA on a commercial flight or a military flight from either Mildenhall or Lakenheath.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Given that Johnson is desperate for a trade deal with the USA I can't see he's going to turn up the heat on Trump over this, and I feel sorry for the boy's family that they will probably never get justice.

What concerns me is half the country think we're this great all-powerful, global empirical force and yet the Skripal Affair, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe in Iran and now this brazen act by the USA shows other major powers hold us in contempt.

We're friendless and over a barrel.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Given that Johnson is desperate for a trade deal with the USA I can't see he's going to turn up the heat on Trump over this, and I feel sorry for the boy's family that they will probably never get justice.

What concerns me is half the country think we're this great all-powerful, global empirical force and yet the Skripal Affair, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe in Iran and now this brazen act by the USA shows other major powers hold us in contempt.

Completely correct Pavillionaire. In terms of us having to hold our noses over not offending appalling countries / regimes to get trade deals, this is going to be small fry.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The rich get richer
The poor get poorer
The powerful do whatever they want
And get away scot free.

Don't be so silly. She did something stupid on the roads, and I am certain that it was not intended. Whether she should then come back to face justice, well, that is another argument.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I would always hold back instead of making these quite absurd exaggerated judgements for which you have absolutely no evidence.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, it does seem perverse that it extends to a family member wanted for a road accident, and I feel desperately sorry for the family, as the said lady will presumably get away with it, so far as the law is concerned. Whilst it seems unpalatable with regard to this unfortunate case, I can also see that a larger issue is involved. If diplomatic immunity is tightened, then I am certain that the Irans of this world, and sadly, there are many, would take advantage and arrest whoever they want after a "traffic accident." Doesn't make the current situation perfect, of course, but we need to evaluate the matter very carefully, should we wish to advocate a tighter definition of diplomatic status.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

As I posted on another thread, unless Trump caves in (he won't) Boris is going to look a mug.

Normally, when Boris intervenes over a woman in trouble in another jurisdiction, the woman is not let out of jail, so there may be some hope....:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here