Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Seems a bit unlikely given the current situation.

On the other hand it is possible that talks about Upson signing permanently have already been held before Gus's suspension, so less contraversial in the current climate. I'd be disappointed if we hadn't at least enquired if MU would be interested and what sort of deal is required. I'd be happy to have Upson in the Championship. Ditto Wayne Bridge too.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Maybe. But I kind of assume that the manager would be the main decision maker.

And why commit to signing a player before a manager? I really rate Upson but all seems a bit arse about face to me.

Unless A) a deal was done pre the last week shenanigans.
B) TB had already planned for a new manager, and the new manager is waiting in the wings.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barber used to be at Spurs and over the last 15 years or so, other than when Harry Redknapp managed them, they had a Director of Football/Sporting Director and Head Coach structure.

What you might be seeing as a result of Poyet moving on is that a similar structure is adopted by Brighton whereby transfer targets are decided by committee and headed up by a Director of Football (possibly Barber in the interim) with the manager left to focus more on just managing the team, thereby meaning the manager is seen as more accountable and less autocratic, which appears to have been Poyet's downfall.

We already have a structure where Burke and the scouting team source talent and recommend who to go after. Not much of a change without a manager in place and pretty well the way most clubs work nowadays with the coach more of a final rubber stamp than the main mover/shaker.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Didn't someone on here say they understood gus wanted to sign Upson permanently but bloom said no due to cost?

Can we not complicate things even further please :lolol:

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I really want it to be true but... UK_Transfer??? It might well happen but I don't believe they have any kind of inside knowledge.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Can we not complicate things even further please :lolol:

Why not - it's fun.

But on a serious note, I would have thought it quite possible that decisions had been made about the club's intentions on this ages ago, whichever division we were going to be playing in.

And could we afford to let everything ride until we know our managerial position - i.e. Gus staying or new person in post. My fear is that this could take some time, or might we have to gloss over the compensation and other financial things in order to do what is right and "move on". Would that be a price worth paying?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barber used to be at Spurs and over the last 15 years or so, other than when Harry Redknapp managed them, they had a Director of Football/Sporting Director and Head Coach structure.

What you might be seeing as a result of Poyet moving on is that a similar structure is adopted by Brighton whereby transfer targets are decided by committee and headed up by a Director of Football (possibly Barber in the interim) with the manager left to focus more on just managing the team, thereby meaning the manager is seen as more accountable and less autocratic, which appears to have been Poyet's downfall.

We already have a structure where Burke and the scouting team source talent and recommend who to go after. Not much of a change without a manager in place and pretty well the way most clubs work nowadays with the coach more of a final rubber stamp than the main mover/shaker.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
You would hope that someone at the Club is keeping close tabs on the players and making sure they don't get too demoralised. They've had enough of a duff week as it is before Gus et al got suspended. Uncertainty breeds anxiety and I fear that some might be thinking too much about where their future might lie. They need to feel the love.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hope that this turns out to be true as he would be an immerse signing to start us off again and as has been said had he signed this time last year we would now be in the Premier

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Hope it's true - a bit of good news amid all the gloom.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This would be a great signing. I can't imaging any incoming manager being displeased with that either.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This would be a great signing. I can't imaging any incoming manager being displeased with that either.

Quite, chuck in Bridge, get Bridcutt to commit to going nowhere, and we'll be attracting a pretty decent manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here