Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upgrading Season Tickets on a match by match basis....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Might the number of upgrades be more closely linked to the number of mid week home games where a lot of juniors are unable to make the fixture?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cost of upgrading equivalent to upgrading to a season ticket average price rather then the full price of the seat. On that basis, the club should be entitled to restricting the number of upgrades. The alternative could be to have no restriction on the number of upgrades but the cost should be for the equivalent match day price!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Really! I know they have coloured lights to determine if the ticket is a concession and what age but do you really think they have a laminate at each turnstile showing what every ticket was last used for. That would imply they reprint it every game which I doubt and to be honest, unnecessary. They just need to know whether the correct category of ticket is being used by a person entitled to use it.

As I go into WSU today, I'll try and look back and check but this may be dependent on how many pints I've had at the John Harvey!

No the laminate will be the same every game and just show which colour each concession will light up as. It doesn't need to be reprinted every game because an adult will always light up one way and an under 10 another.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can see the point of the club wishing to restrict the number of upgrades. 6 is not the right limit to set given that there will be more 7.45 Kick offs than that this season. I suspect some Dads, not able to take their kids and unable to upgrade for a mate to sit with, may not bother going to the game themselves either.
I think a better system would be if all evening Kick Offs can be upgraded, any early kick off for TV, plus 6 random ones.
I doubt many are deliberately taking the piss, we all have different circumstances, if the club wants to maintain high numbers of season ticket holders it would be best to not become inflexible, on the other hand if we gain promotion, demand is likely to increase and wouldn't it be nice for the club to be selling more of the season tickets at adult prices, even when a kid is sat in the seat half the time.
I can't help thinking this is part of becoming Premier League Ready, ie get ready to rinse us.

6 midweek home games this season

Rotherham 15/9
Bristol 20/10
Ipswich 29/12 (school holidays)
Sheff Wed 8/3
QPR 15/4
Fulham 19/4

Your suggestion would mean over half of the home games could be upgraded!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No the laminate will be the same every game and just show which colour each concession will light up as. It doesn't need to be reprinted every game because an adult will always light up one way and an under 10 another.

Sorry, misread the first post on this.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Rotherham 15/9
Bristol 20/10
Sheff Wed 8/3
QPR 15/4
Fulham 19/4

And Forest :moo:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Might the number of upgrades be more closely linked to the number of mid week home games where a lot of juniors are unable to make the fixture?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the cost of upgrading equivalent to upgrading to a season ticket average price rather then the full price of the seat. On that basis, the club should be entitled to restricting the number of upgrades. The alternative could be to have no restriction on the number of upgrades but the cost should be for the equivalent match day price!

I have to agree with you, I think the club are being very generous allowing 6 upgrades on the cheap. I can not see what there is to moan about. I have a ST for me and my daughter. If she can not go, I take on of my nephews and if I can't go I give my seat to one of my friends and he takes his son. Technically the club could enforce the holders of the STs to be the only ones who can use it and not let other people in on them. With the way of the world at the moment and heightened security, we could see football clubs clamp down on ST holders given their cards to other people to use

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was quite a large thread on this some time ago and i think the result was that the club didn't want people effectively 'reserving' a seat on a child/student/oap rate and then only paying full price on the matches they go to. ie going to 17 of the 23 home matches, upgrading each time and therefor saving themselves over 100 quid on the full price of the season ticket.
So it's understandable they wanted a limit. 6 is too low though, with the amount of evening games and re-arranged matches we have.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
So it's understandable they wanted a limit. 6 is too low though, with the amount of evening games and re-arranged matches we have.

A child ST in north woks out at about just under £10 a game. If someone wanted to they could charge a mate£25 for a game, which is still a lot cheaper then a match day ticket. So in theory could make £15 profit on every game that the child does not go. So setting the level at 6 would still make someone £90 profit almost paying half of the ST cost. People will always abuse a system if they have the potential to make money

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A child ST in north woks out at about just under £10 a game. If someone wanted to they could charge a mate£25 for a game, which is still a lot cheaper then a match day ticket. So in theory could make £15 profit on every game that the child does not go. So setting the level at 6 would still make someone £90 profit almost paying half of the ST cost. People will always abuse a system if they have the potential to make money

You have to pay the upgrade cost as well, so I guess it depends if you're taking a mate or just someone to make money out of :shrug:

The friend of mine that regularly upgrades his kids ticket just charges what it cost him and the mate using the ticket pays the upgrade cost.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A child ST in north woks out at about just under £10 a game. If someone wanted to they could charge a mate£25 for a game, which is still a lot cheaper then a match day ticket. So in theory could make £15 profit on every game that the child does not go.
Er, no :facepalm: So far they're £15 up, but then they've got to pay to upgrade the ticket.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Rotherham 15/9
Bristol 20/10
Sheff Wed 8/3
QPR 15/4
Fulham 19/4

Yep, but that is still a drop from the previous system where you could upgrade every game. I reckon if you take a kid to most games, you should be able to upgrade the remainder, I think most would choose to buy an adult ticket rather than be paying for an empty seat for half a season if they are just trying to get a discount for a mate.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Surely the answer is for the club to allow as many upgrades as you like - provided the seat is upgraded to the price of the full seat cost (minus the season ticket cost already paid). This would mean that the club couldn't be exploited by people using a child seat for adults with upgrades below the full cost, the seat holder then gets to take friends along to games who would be happy to pay the upgrade cost on the seat. The Albion get maximum attendances with visitors buying food and drink in the stadium - everyone wins?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In the good old days, season tickets were always NON TRANSFERABLE were they not?, i.e. only to be used by the person named on the ticket.

Maybe the club look upon transferring tickets to someone else, as doing the actual ticket holder a favour, hence the cap on the number of times they will allow it.

I do have some sympathy with the club on this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here