Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UPDATED: Dale Stephens SIGNS 3.5 Year Deal

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The only player I'd heard of in the current team before they came here is CMS, just don't pay enough attention to football outside of Brighton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A player making a bid for a player has no real say over whether he plays for his current team. If a player is left out it will be because he has gone to meet with the prospective buyers and/or isn't 'focussed enough'

I think Bridcutt probably lost focus the day Gus was sacked.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Upson, kuszczak?

I'd heard of Upson because I believe we were offered him on loan by Arsenal when Hinshelwood was manager, from memory we turned him down and he went to Reading instead.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The only player I'd heard of in the current team before they came here is CMS, just don't pay enough attention to football outside of Brighton.

I remember being stunned by how many people had never heard of Vicente before he joined us. The La Liga winning, UEFA cup winning, Spanish international that was at one point linked with a £35m move to Real Madrid

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Agreed shaolin. But then I suppose it just says that plenty of Brighton supporters are not overly fussed about football other than BHA (which is perfectly reasonable.) Which then also excuses players (like BZ) who are not interested in football other than their paid employment. It does make you wonder what got them interested in the first place but there you go.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd heard of Upson because I believe we were offered him on loan by Arsenal when Hinshelwood was manager, from memory we turned him down and he went to Reading instead.

You mean you hadn't heard of Upson because he played for England at the last World Cup?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or you read about it in Dick Knight's book.

Not sure why you think I'd be making it up, it all happened around the time we signed Kitson and Butters and although I do have a download of DK's book on my kindle. I haven't managed to motivate myself to read it yet.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit that I thought this deal was in an advanced stage, then their manager says nowt has happened. He might be lying (or just not doing his job), but... what the **** is going on? Do we want to stay in the promotion race this season? We are currently 3 first team squad players down! Under severe threat of losing 2 more! Surely, we should have AT LEAST made a bid for this guy by now (assuming we want him)!?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Must admit that I thought this deal was in an advanced stage, then their manager says nowt has happened. He might be lying (or just not doing his job), but... what the **** is going on? Do we want to stay in the promotion race this season? We are currently 3 first team squad players down! Under severe threat of losing 2 more! Surely, we should have AT LEAST made a bid for this guy by now (assuming we want him)!?

I thought anyone who didn't trust the Board implicityl didn't love the Albion and our dealings in this transfer window were superb?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I thought anyone who didn't trust the Board implicityl didn't love the Albion and our dealings in this transfer window were superb?

Our dealings at the time WERE extremely well handled IMHO [sales of Ash (average Champ striker with 6 months left on contract), and Adam (wanted to play first team games)], but, as I said at the time, subject to getting in the required replacements BEFORE THE WINDOW CLOSES. It hasn't closed YET, but surely, IF we are interested in Stephens, THEN we should have bid by now (see my post - the one you just responded to - for my reasoning). Is that clear?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Why should we have done so by now? As long as it's done by the time the window closes then i couldn't give a toss if it happens in 2 minutes or two days.

Don't forget we signed 4 in one day last year (Orlandi, Hammond, Lopez & Dobbie)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Why should we have done so by now? As long as it's done by the time the window closes then i couldn't give a toss if it happens in 2 minutes or two days.

Don't forget we signed 4 in one day last year (Orlandi, Hammond, Lopez & Dobbie)

Trouble is.....if the deal goes down to the wire then fails at the last minute, that's leaves no time for plan b........ or even plan d, as this guy already seems to be down the list of targets we originally focussed on.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Trouble is.....if the deal goes down to the wire then fails at the last minute, that's leaves no time for plan b........ or even plan d, as this guy already seems to be down the list of targets we originally focussed on.

Oh, i agree - i'd rather see our transfer business tied up early but we all know that's just not possible...who knows if we don't receive an astronomical bid for one of our players at the 11th hour? It's all the fun (and the stress) of the transfer window.

Also, i don't know where Stephens is on our list - as far as i'm aware he's probs the first (?) midfielders that we've been linked with this window - i'd assume our 'list' is split into areas we need to focus on and possible players to fill them - so we'll be looking to cover all areas (midfield, out wide, up front, at the back, DS players etc).

Though i can see Burke frantically scribbling through names of players and having a phone glued to his ear all this week. It's an entertaining mental image.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here