Unusual charge on my bank statement

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DanielT

CARD PAYMENT TO LINDLEY C SWFC for £2.20

That was for a coffee bought in Dick's Bar a couple of days ago. Lindley do the catering at Sheffield Wednesday too, but I didn't know that at first. I was in mid-sentence of "you dirty northern...." when google put my mind at rest

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
from memory the catering at Hillsboro is one of the better things about the place....... .. ???

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Paying for something that costs £2.20 with a card :facepalm:

What's wrong with that?
I thought I was gonna have to do the same in Dick's on Tuesday when I had no cash on me and my ST wouldn't work (#BlameBarber) - it eventually did though.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
What's wrong with that?
I thought I was gonna have to do the same in Dick's on Tuesday when I had no cash on me and my ST wouldn't work (#BlameBarber) - it eventually did though.

Gentlemen should always carry cash

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ooooh...does that mean we will get a Meat and Potato Pie at last ...The one at Wednesday was fab-u-lous.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Paying for something that costs £2.20 with a card :facepalm:

Cash really is so yesterday ! Retailers really need to install the touchless card readers - fantastic bit of technology.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Gentlemen should always carry cash

I did, just not enough to pay for the coffee at that time after using cash to get fuel for the car.
I also had plenty of "cash" on the ST, not my fault it didn't work a few times.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Cash really is so yesterday ! Retailers really need to install the touchless card readers - fantastic bit of technology.

I know one shopkeeper who has been raising the prices of his goods by 5-10% to cover the debit/credit card fees. The only winners are the banks.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Sat in the corner of Dicks Bar for 20mins with an iffy 3G connection so that I could load some more cash on my ST... just to avoid the embarrassment of buying 2 drinks with a card.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I know one shopkeeper who has been raising the prices of his goods by 5-10% to cover the debit/credit card fees. The only winners are the banks.

Then that shopkeeper is ripping off his customers. The cost per transaction for a trader using the facility more than 350 times a month is 9p plus a monthly fee of £19. Under that then all they pay is the £19 charge - I know because I putting in a system for a customer to do exactly this. Many banks actually charge a higher monthly fee for a business account that has the ability to accept cash payments over the counter. The problem is that people like travel agents have conned the public into thinking paying by card is expensive for them.

DanielT

Then that shopkeeper is ripping off his customers. The cost per transaction for a trader using the facility more than 350 times a month is 9p plus a monthly fee of £19. Under that then all they pay is the £19 charge - I know because I putting in a system for a customer to do exactly this. Many banks actually charge a higher monthly fee for a business account that has the ability to accept cash payments over the counter. The problem is that people like travel agents have conned the public into thinking paying by card is expensive for them.

Its just an excuse to their put prices up and blame someone else. I'd like to find out the timing of a chip and pin transaction verses a cash transaction.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
Debit cards are not charged always at a percentage rate, sometimes at a 33-40p rate per transaction. Obviously not terrible on a high cost sale, although for a 27p stamp.???

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Debit cards are not charged always at a percentage rate, sometimes at a 33-40p rate per transaction. Obviously not terrible on a high cost sale, although for a 27p stamp.???

Any trader paying 33-40p per transaction needs to look elsewhere for their payment processor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports