Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Unthinkable

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Is our team getting so strong that the unthinkable at the start of this season may happen next season in that Lewis Dunk is our ‘weakest’ first xi player - is that not a real positive statement of what we’ve become - I’ve based this on team of:

Sanchez
Lamptey
Cucurella
Webster
Dunk
Mwepu
Bissouma
Caicedo
Trossard
MacAllister
Welbeck

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not on current form - no.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Is our team getting so strong that the unthinkable at the start of this season may happen next season in that Lewis Dunk is our ‘weakest’ first xi player - is that not a real positive statement of what we’ve become - I’ve based this on team of:

Sanchez
Lamptey
Cucurella
Webster
Dunk
Mwepu
Bissouma
Caicedo
Trossard
MacAllister
Welbeck

I'd put him in the top three or four, even in that excellent line-up.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Although I appreciate what you are trying to suggest. No he isn't. His dominance at the back, his ability to cover and his passing is key to the way we play. The media constantly describe him in terms of 'old fashioned centre-back', but this underrates him. The threat of his accurate long passing ability is key. He may not be someone who can bring the ball out like Webster does, but Webster can do that because Dunk can cover the space he leaves. He is still the strongest we have on set pieces. In the line up that you have suggested, he would be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Whilst I agree he had a bit of a dodgy patch at the start of the year, I think that was all it was. Just a bit of poor form. Who in our team wasn't in poor form given our run of results. The team being built up around him is excellent though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Potter constantly describes him as 'our best player' and his displays at Arsenal and Tottenham only confirmed that. His very few below-par games are more noticeable because of his incredible consistency - 7 out of ten is almost a given every week and it's usually more than that.

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Although I appreciate what you are trying to suggest. No he isn't. His dominance at the back, his ability to cover and his passing is key to the way we play. The media constantly describe him in terms of 'old fashioned centre-back', but this underrates him. The threat of his accurate long passing ability is key. He may not be someone who can bring the ball out like Webster does, but Webster can do that because Dunk can cover the space he leaves. He is still the strongest we have on set pieces. In the line up that you have suggested, he would be one of the first names on the team sheet.

This. Duffy (who I love) is the true ’old fashioned CB' and really struggles in the game we play.

Dunk has the same qualities but also has the ability to play the way we do. Yes he's not as slick as Webbo or White was in going forward. But he doesn't need to be. He's the rock at the back which allows the others to flow. Plus, like Lallana and Welbz, the other qualities he brings in terms of experience and steadying on the pitch can't be underestimated.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
This. Duffy (who I love) is the true ’old fashioned CB' and really struggles in the game we play.

Dunk has the sane qualities but also has the ability to play the way we do. Yes he's not as slick as Webbo or White was in going forward. But he doesn't need to be. He's the rock at the back which allows the others to flow. Plus, like Lallana and Welbz, the other qualities he brings in terms of experience and steadying on the pitch can't be underestimated.

Calling out the inch perfect pass to Welbz for the second penalty yesterday

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Sanchez
Lamptey
Cucurella
Webster
Dunk
Mwepu
Bissouma
Caicedo
Trossard
MacAllister
Welbeck

Do you go to many games? Dunk had a dip in form when he returned from injury which is understandable, but he's back where he has pretty much been for the last 10 years. He is one of our best players, not just as a player but as a leader.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Do you go to many games? Dunk had a dip in form when he returned from injury which is understandable, but he's back where he has pretty much been for the last 10 years. He is one of our best players, not just as a player but as a leader.

Ain’t that just so…..Lewis Dunk he’s one of our own…….my favourite current Brighton player

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Potter constantly describes him as 'our best player' and his displays at Arsenal and Tottenham only confirmed that. His very few below-par games are more noticeable because of his incredible consistency - 7 out of ten is almost a given every week and it's usually more than that.

Yup.

He was astonishing at Spurs and rarely has a bad game. The option of a long pass - not a hoof but an accurate line or diagonal ball - cannot be underestimated in a team comfortable with short, sharp passes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Sanchez
Lamptey
Cucurella
Webster
Dunk
Mwepu
Bissouma
Caicedo
Trossard
MacAllister
Welbeck

These are a good side.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Yes I’ve been to all games, this wasn’t a criticism of Lewis just that other players in other positions are either better or are getting better. I think Lewis is a very good player but I do think Webster is better.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Dunk also plays in a back three with Veltman and Cucurella, which allows us to really go on the offensive. I was really shocked when I first saw this line up but actually love it now. Dunk is our best defender and will on current form always be in the starting XI. Comparing Dunk with players in other positions is a a bit of a nonsense, with only Webster and Duffy playing in similar positions in central defence. If I could only pick one of those three I’d pick Dunk. Agreed our squad looks as strong as it’s ever been. UTA.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes I’ve been to all games, this wasn’t a criticism of Lewis just that other players in other positions are either better or are getting better. I think Lewis is a very good player but I do think Webster is better.

If they both have their best day, Webster is the better footballer but over a season Dunk is at least just as valuable.

It is a bit difficult to compare I think... Webster in form could play for any team, while Dunk would look a bit out place in the best clubs. But in a Brighton shirt, Dunk is just as good or better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here