Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unlikely places that you have had really good food.

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
So, what are the most unlikely places that you have had really good food?

I will start. Travelled around Italy (ooh get me) and had loads of pizza. But the best pizza I had was in a grungy cafe-thing at Venice airport. it was amazing and really cheap too. Knocked the socks off any other places I had pizza including some really nice restaurants. Totally unexpected compared to your usual stale sandwiches for £10 or whatever.

Anyone else...?

Can be UK or abroad...I would be interested to hear any others.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Beachside shack In Ahungalla, Sri Lanka. Fish curry with coconut served with roti, it was outstanding.
French motorway services are surprisingly good and really put ours to shame in every way.

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
Beachside shack In Ahungalla, Sri Lanka. Fish curry with coconut served with roti, it was outstanding.
French motorway services are surprisingly good and really put ours to shame in every way.

Sounds good. Yeah ive heard that about french motorway stations although yet to try any.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I had some really nice Horse in Burger King the other day.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The Newmarket Inn on the A27 was expecting nowt but the grub was bloody nice and plenty of it .

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Tiny restaurant in a small town in Spain. The town wasn't full of tourists, but most of the restaurants were geared towards them. Instead we went to this place packed with locals where no-one spoke English and the menu was in Spanish. Once we managed to translate enough of the menu to work out what we wanted it was absolutely brilliant, I had an amazing sausage selection (sort of like a cheeseboard I suppose, loads of different flavours), while my step-dad had some wonderfully prepared freshly caught fish. Just amazing food.

Sounds good. Yeah ive heard that about french motorway stations although yet to try any.

Which ones are those then? I've never found the food in them anything to get very excited about?

However I have had some very nice steaks (probably beef) in the Flunch cafe in the HyperU in Lucon. For around Euro 9.99 they cook them to order whilst you wait and you then and pile on as much fries/salad/veg as you fancy. Their ice cream sundaes are also good value and assembled before you very eyes.

Nicest lasagne ever was in a scuzzy cafe round the back of the Santa Maria Novella station in Florence. Set menu dead cheap including 1.5l of passable wine, leftovers of which were poured back into a new decanter for the next customer! We could see them do it through the door to the kitchen, memory recalls chef had a fag on!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Which ones are those then? I've never found the food in them anything to get very excited about?

However I have had some very nice steaks (probably beef) in the Flunch cafe in the HyperU in Lucon. For around Euro 9.99 they cook them to order whilst you wait and you then and pile on as much fries/salad/veg as you fancy. Their ice cream sundaes are also good value and assembled before you very eyes.

Nicest lasagne ever was in a scuzzy cafe round the back of the Santa Maria Novella station in Florence. Set menu dead cheap including 1.5l of passable wine, leftovers of which were poured back into a new decanter for the next customer! We could see them do it through the door to the kitchen, memory recalls chef had a fag on!

Re; French motorway services, the food was good, not brilliant by any means, but defiantly unlikely as I thought was going to be as bad as the shit they serve up in ours.

Having eaten a LOT of crap food in Magaluf last summer a few of us stumbled upon a small bar at the bottom end of the strip called Charlie Browns. Steak, Chips, Salad, garlic bread and a pint for €8...not only the the best deal for food we found but absolutely delicious as well, and we had no qualms about leaving a generous tip when we were finished. Ended up going back there another time whilst we were out there and food was just as good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here