Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Unless you can't. Please give Blood.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Been meaning to book for ages and there’s not been an appointment anywhere close within three months. All booked in now, thanks for the nudge.

Same here, checked on and off and nothing available. Will have another look today.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As someone who has benefitted to an almost life-saving degree from blood transfusions, I know how important it is that people donate, so thank you to all who do.

A sad irony that my receipt of transfusions means I can't donate to repay the favour, but there we go.

If you can, please do.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
amexer The age limit when I had to stop was 70, but I am now 85 so the rules may have changed in the interim. I would hope so

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
amexer The age limit when I had to stop was 70, but I am now 85 so the rules may have changed in the interim. I would hope so

Most people can give blood. You can give blood if you:
  • are fit and healthy
  • weigh between 7 stone 12 lbs and 25 stone, or 50kg and 158kg
  • are aged between 17 and 66 (or 70 if you have given blood before)
  • are over 70 and have given a full blood donation in the last two years

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks for the post and the prod in the right direction. It's something I've been meaning to do for ages, but haven't – awful really.

Will look into it today. Once again NSC is making a difference where it matters!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's a long time and I'n guessing something went wrong - either with staff or equipment.

They state that they like to get people through in an hour. It's traditionally been quicker than that for me although Covid does seem to have made the process a bit longer.

I'd been waiting for 80 minutes before I was even called and after that there was a bit of a wait to get the couch ready. It wasn't a one-off though, I'd waited nearly an hour earlier that year - things have definitely slowed down since Covid; I used to be in and out in 30 minutes.

It's important to give though, it just takes a little longer to be called

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As I have a very rare blood group and needed two blood transfusions last year 100% please give blood if you can. Unfortunately I can’t give blood but would if I could as it took around 16hrs to locate bags of my blood group.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I'd been waiting for 80 minutes before I was even called and after that there was a bit of a wait to get the couch ready. It wasn't a one-off though, I'd waited nearly an hour earlier that year - things have definitely slowed down since Covid; I used to be in and out in 30 minutes.

It's important to give though, it just takes a little longer to be called

Hopefully things will start getting back to 'normal' soon. As they say ... do something amazing ... give blood.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Always found it a frustrating process to book in the past, gave half a dozen or so times before packing it in as it was hard work to find available slots near where I worked. Being lazy I didn't bother again on the presumption that if they're fully booked and don't have lots of sessions there can't be much of a shortage. This has reminded me to give it another go. Booked the next available slot - 14 April. As it has been about 8 years since I last donated they have deleted my account.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
03001232323. Give them a call very easy and simple. Please and if you haven't given before you will probably feel a sense of pride in what you have done.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm anaemic so I will probably never be likely to give blood for the rest of my life. It's controlled by tablets although I do go through periods of tiredness, aches, cramp and dizziness.

Well done to everyone that donates the red stuff. Heroes get mentioned so much these days in different ways but anyone that takes the time and effort to do it is a fantastic human being. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It can be really frustrating trying to sign up short notice donations so if your struggling, book one for a few weeks time, turn up when you're booked and always go for the minnie shorties biscuits unless I'm behind you, in which case just take the ginger nuts :thumbsup:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My next donation is in November at the Sussex cricket ground. 👍

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Always found it a frustrating process to book in the past, gave half a dozen or so times before packing it in as it was hard work to find available slots near where I worked. Being lazy I didn't bother again on the presumption that if they're fully booked and don't have lots of sessions there can't be much of a shortage. This has reminded me to give it another go. Booked the next available slot - 14 April. As it has been about 8 years since I last donated they have deleted my account.
After waiting four months, they cancelled the slot because of a lack of staff. I don't think a blood shortage is caused by a lack of volunteers, the infrastructure just isn't there. Looking now, I can't get a slot at a place within 15 miles of me until at least Feb 23.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here