University tuition fees

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
From reading numerous threads on here people only seem go to university to party and get drunk so the less people who go the less probelm the country will have with binge drinking so I cant see the problem personally

Congratulations, thats definitely the most ignorant post of the day.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Basic rate income tax when I left school was 33% (1980), now it's 20%. Successive governments have reduced income tax by over 50% in the past 30 years.

Back in 1980, my folks would have been paying for my university education through their taxes in the form of me getting a grant. Now they would have to pay it through their earnings which are taxed 50% lower. Can anyone do the maths to work out if in fact it is cheaper or dearer to send your kid to university now, compared to then?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Oh, and the higher rate of income tax was 60% (reduced in 1979 from 83%)

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
[yt]WMQXKBJXib0[/yt]

2:22 onwards is interesting...

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
yes at that point he gets his cock out and starts screaming f*** off in to the camera repeatedly for anyone who cant be bothered to watch it.
Isn't that what he does to people who voted Lib Dem every day?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For the good of country I have always felt everyone should have one crack at getting as far as they can within the education system without having to pay for it. I am totally opposed to fees and loans in any shape or form.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I know all the students and lecturers will complain but it's a hard choice really.

Uni education has to be funded somehow and a bigger proportion should be born by the people who benefit the most - the students. And, yes, I know that we benefit as a country but we also benefit from having well qualified plumbers, builders etc and they don't get so much help from the taxpayer.

I prefered the idea of a Graduate Tax personally - that way the more you earn the more you pay back - both parties benefit.

As a university lecturer :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
For the good of country I have always felt everyone should have one crack at getting as far as they can within the education system without having to pay for it. I am totally opposed to fees and loans.

I concur with this, my point is, was it dearer or cheaper to send your kids to Uni 20 - 30 years ago, when it was apparently 'free' because you got a grant, even though income tax rates were 50% higher than they are now?
Really, is it basically the same cost now as it was then, but due to government tinkering the arguement is that it is more transaprent now? Also, only those benefitting from higher education actually have to pay for it now, whereas in the past you paid 33% income tax, regardless of whether you had a kid to send to university?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I think there may well be a Lib Dem rebellion on this, HOWEVER you do know who set up the Browne Report don't you?

Yep, that's right, the last Labour Government.

Which goes to show that there's very little difference between (New) Labour and the Tories - both obsessed with 'the market'.

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

:rant::angry::rant:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
For the good of country I have always felt everyone should have one crack at getting as far as they can within the education system without having to pay for it. I am totally opposed to fees and loans in any shape or form.

fair enough, im opposed to funding not worth a wank degrees like film studies or travel and tourism.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
fair enough, im opposed to funding not worth a wank degrees like film studies or travel and tourism.

I would also go back to polytechnics and universities, so there is a distinction between academic and applied/vocational study. Both would have equal value though.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think tuition fees contribute to those kind of things, they make money for the universities and if you're a student you probably won't have to pay back your loan anyway. :lol:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Currently in the process of doing my application now (2011 entry) but will defer my offers for a year as i'm looking to go abroad to do some volunteering before I go off to University.
Its a joke to be honest, I'll admit i'm not really into all the politics at the moment and never have been, but the idea that fees would be doubled would make it almost unaffordable for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I concur with this, my point is, was it dearer or cheaper to send your kids to Uni 20 - 30 years ago, when it was apparently 'free' because you got a grant, even though income tax rates were 50% higher than they are now?
Really, is it basically the same cost now as it was then, but due to government tinkering the arguement is that it is more transaprent now? Also, only those benefitting from higher education actually have to pay for it now, whereas in the past you paid 33% income tax, regardless of whether you had a kid to send to university?

I went to uni in 1987. I also come from a working class background. My father would have only paid the basic rate of tax back then. My fees were paid and I had a grant for most of the time. I even got housing benefit in my first year. These days kids are looking at owing tens of thousands of pounds when they graduate. I cannot believe that anywhere along the line my family has forfeited this sort of money for my education directly or indirectly...so it was cheaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports