Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

University students who become Brighton Fans

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is a chap I know who lives near Stockholm, who became a Brighton fan after attending Uni here. He flies over for games every so often.

This summer, we had a French student stay with us for 7 weeks. He is a PSG fan, but we took him to the Lazio friendly, and the Rotherham game. He kept a flag we gave him and said Brighton is now his English team.

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
I went to the University of Sussex 10 years ago, if only your ground had been finished by then it'd have been all the more convenient for our games down there. I don't recall anyone "becoming" a Brighton fan then, though you did play at the Withdean which wouldn't have helped too much. Having said that, the kind of person who "becomes" a fan at university age probably isn't the kind who's going to add anything beyond extra income (sadly vital I suppose) - how can you not have a club by 18 and how can it not be your local club/a club you follow due to parental connections? There were a fair few Sky type fans who I could imagine "becoming" Brighton fans with your new ground being so close, especially if you got promoted, but I'm not sure how pleased you'd be about it.

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
Would be interesting to know.

Not the same thing but I moved to West London to work at 18 and routinely watched QPR. My heart was always with the Albion though.

Why would you subject yourself to QPR and having to go to Shepherd's Bush regularly?

richoseagull

Jan 23, 2010
Berkshire
I never grew up in Sussex but supported the club since a little boy thanks to my Dad.

When it came to Uni choices though it was no contest, Brighton Uni was the only choice so I could move down and get a season ticket, and now 9 years later still going despite once again not living in Sussex.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any reason why you say this?
Yes. I think the point is that the ground is now right next to the university, so some students, who otherwise wouldn't be interested, come along and become fans. You went when the ground was much further away, and you didn't become a Brighton fan due to our stadium being at Falmer.

I thought I'd done everything right, even down to walking down Old Shoreham Road to see my first game.
You did the best you could with the hand you were given.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
When I was at University of Brighton I used to take a chelsea fan and a welshman to the goldstone in the 90s. Although they have moved away as far as I know they still look out for our results and show an interest.
I dont count as I was following the Albion years before uni.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Went to Cardiff Uni, only ever went to Ninian Park once, when we played there, no interest in Cardiff City personally, but I did meet an ex-Brightonian who'd lived there for years and who'd switched from being a BHA fan to a Cardiff fan.

Near 40 years ago my then-lady-friend went to U of S for a year on a grant, fell in with a few other students who were supporters, and collected for me a box of programs,a couple pennants, and other BHA ephemera -- I was already interested in English football, esp. Liverpool --they were Boston Irish' favorite club. She gave them to me when she came back.

Kept one or more eyes on the Albion ever since -- esp. in the internet age, with the near-death experience and stadium drama, via the Clubs in Crisis forum.

Thank you for clarifying that, I had often wondered! Have you actually managed to attend game(s)?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When I was based in Rosyth, if I couldn't afford to come home of a weekend, or if I was duty on Friday or Sunday, I used to go and watch Dunfermline or Hearts. I still look out for their results, but I would never say I supported them

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Why would you subject yourself to QPR and having to go to Shepherd's Bush regularly?

Because I lived in West London and it was local and saw some good teams play there.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
I'm an admissions tutor at UoS. When applcants come down for their visits before confirming us as their first choice I make a lot of the fact we have a top club on the doorstep. I'm not conivinced that I am successful in conveying this excitement as my impression is that relatively few of the students who join us end up going. I guess if they are football supporters they'll already have their own club and it would be a bit phoney to expect them to transfer their allegiance to us - and it's a bit pricey to go if you are not a fan. Very few of them seem support teams outside of the Prem.....a bit depressing but probably predicable.

If and when we get into the Prem I think it might change; I know that Bournemouth Uni make a big selling point of this factor.

That's good to hear that you're plugging the Albion to prospective students :clap2: Unfortunately my experience was different a couple of years ago when doing the rounds of universities with my daughter. Both Reading and UEA made a big deal about their local football clubs but I was disappointed with Sussex as there was no mention of the Albion. From what you say, hopefully that is changing now

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I was working in St Marys stadium at the local radio station (alongside Jimmy Case) when I was at Southampton.

Watched a lot of games so DID have a soft spot for them as they went into administration and all the players (Bale etc) were being sold.....until THAT league 1 season and it soon disappeared.

Nigel Pearson was the manager at the time and I had to interview him a few times. It won't surprise you to know he was not the warmest of characters.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here