Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] University Challenge

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think it’s too rigid a format for Fry. He likes to go off topic and ramble and pontificate. That’s why QI was a great vehicle for him.
He is a show off and UC is not about that. It’s the contestants knowledge we want to see, not the host’s.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I’m curious to see if the Beeb go with another old white man or try and shake things up a bit with someone more diverse. My money is on diverse.

I am rather glad Paxman is going though. Everything he does is all about him. Especially with his political/news work. In my opinion, he never gets the balance right between being assertive and being rude. Mostly he just ended up playing a pantomime version of himself, whether he got to the truth or not.

Cue outrage from Gammons and Daily Mail readers that "Even University Challenge has become Woke" :mad:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Not surprised, given it was revealed last year that Paxo has Parkinsons - apparently a doctor diagnosed it just from watching the programme, and noting Paxo's appearance and delivery.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cue outrage from Gammons and Daily Mail readers that "Even University Challenge has become Woke" :mad:

Oh, without a doubt. They’ll be choking on their toast and marmalade.

Universities are the hothouse of future innovators and pioneers, populated by many diverse people. Having them grilled by a grumpy old white man is outdated in my opinion. Time for a change.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not surprised, given it was revealed last year that Paxo has Parkinsons - apparently a doctor diagnosed it just from watching the programme, and noting Paxo's appearance and delivery.

I didn’t realise that.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Lots of names put forward so far- Kirsty Wark, Samira Ahmed, Victoria Coren-Mitchell, Lucy "Histwee" Worsley, Richard Ayoade, Gyles Brandreth, Fiona Bruce and then other quiz show hosts including Richard Osman, Sandi Toksvig and Warwick Davis. Will be an interesting choice. Brandreth wouldn't be any good as there would only be time for 3 questions between anecdotes about the subject of the previous question.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
VCM has experience asking questions of mega-nerds on Only Connect so I reckon she could handle a few uni kids. The young lads might need some coaching though, what with being in front of a real life lady.

Brandreth will never do it, it’s not all about him so why would he be interested? Truly nauseating

Warwick Davies could be an interesting choice.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Would people prefer the milder intellectual seminar approach of Bamber Gascoigne, or the full frontal attack Paxman.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Prof Alice Roberts would do it for me, that west country twang asking the questions:love:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
"The BBC are set to announce Jeremy's replacement later this week and several names are already being thrown into the hat as to who it could be.

Former Great British Bake Off presenter Sandi Toksvig has been named as the favourite.

The TV star, 64, is just 2/1 with the bookies to take over from Paxman, while Richard Osman is second-favourite as things stand at 3/1 with Warwick Davis just 6/1.

As for the rank outsiders, Piers Morgan is as likely for the gig as Gemma Collins at 100/1, with Chris Kamara unbelievably priced at 200/1."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here