university - £20k+ is it worth it?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
People should pay for further education. The dayas of milk and honey are over. People pay for stuff now. And quite right too.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
thoughts? im still considering it but finding it hard to justify the average £8k-£9k a year cost. pretty crazy how just a few years ago people were paying as little as a £1k-3k

When I went, we paid nothing - we were paid a grant. Seems hard to imagine now (and this was just 30 years ago, not ancient history). I left uni with a debt of £280 and thought it was a burden.

If I were young again, I'd still go but I would do Maths instead of Philosophy. As others have said, it's certainly worth thinking about what degree to do

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I started this year too, and for the first few weeks would agree with what you said about drinking and minimal work. However i'm now head to toe in work, have been for the past few weeks, so that's not strictly true, all depends on which course you opt to take.
As to whether it's worth it or not, all depends on which course you opt to take and where abouts it is IMO. Being in 27k worth of debt in fee's alone is not worth it if you're going to do Business at a lower end university, which will probably end up with you in a similar position to which you'd be able to attain by working your way up in a company for 3 years. However obviously if you want a career which requires a degree, its a must, and you'll probably reep the rewards salary wise.

Its all about managing time. Drink Tuesday through to Saturday and work Sunday and Monday night /Tuesday morning. Plan never fails.
I'm doing Politics and International Relations which isn't a shitty degree either.

University is more than just work, especially the 1st year, I mean the results you get don't count!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Its all about managing time. Drink Tuesday through to Saturday and work Sunday and Monday night /Tuesday morning. Plan never fails.
I'm doing Politics and International Relations which isn't a shitty degree either.

University is more than just work, especially the 1st year, I mean the results you get don't count!

Sorry wasn't knocking your degree at all, all I meant was that certain people i'm mates with never seem to have any work to do, and if they had the money would be out every night. I currently have tonnes of reading and an 3000 word assessment to write, following a 2000 word essay i've literally just finished, a January exam, and another 3000 word assessment for January. All i wanted to add was that some courses are A LOT of work, mine is even in the first year, and employees now in this field are looking at first year grades because its so competitive out there, so although it doesnt count its important if I want a good job out of the degree.

I have too much work to simply work Sunday and Monday night, i'd fail, end of. But you're completely correct about it being a life changing experience.

Where you studying mate?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Sorry wasn't knocking your degree at all, all I meant was that certain people i'm mates with never seem to have any work to do, and if they had the money would be out every night. I currently have tonnes of reading and an 3000 word assessment to write, following a 2000 word essay i've literally just finished, a January exam, and another 3000 word assessment for January. All i wanted to add was that some courses are A LOT of work, mine is even in the first year, and employees now in this field are looking at first year grades because its so competitive out there, so although it doesnt count its important if I want a good job out of the degree.

I have too much work to simply work Sunday and Monday night, i'd fail, end of. But you're completely correct about it being a life changing experience.

Where you studying mate?

Politics and International Relations - European Integration, Government and International Politics Yourself?
I suppose it differs from course to course and it makes sense to get the best possible grade you can. To be fair that is a lot of of work, I too am just coming to the end of an 2000 word essay.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
If you end up with a carreer as a Vet or a Dentist or similar yes,if you end up out of work with an Engineering degree or similar then no.If you can`t work that one out god help you
A decent engineering degree from a proper university will make you very employable, not only in manufacturing but with one of the big international engineering consultancies which have their UK or European offices in London or Surrey. Can lead to a high flying career with international prospects if you are good enough, or at least a solid one with technical design skills which are always in demand somewhere. Not enough UK students are choosing engineering so these firms are recruiting graduates from countries like Russia, China and India for their UK offices. I'm thinking in terms of civils here although also applies to other forms of engineering.
Degrees to avoid for job prospects are philosophy, history and archeology but fascinating and stimulating if you are into them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What are you talking about? You are suggesting you want people to pay for university themselves.

Sorry I didn't realise I was being ambiguous when I posted the words "People should pay for further education".

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Definitely worth it if for the uni experience just as much as the degree I would say. Definitely stay in halls even if it costs you more. Depending on what your parents earn you should get a decent amount, as others have said which you aren't under pressure to pay back at all. Of course it depends on where you study and what you do but my course (at Portsmouth, so it could be worse) has been a total dos so far, much easier than A levels! Also I would strongly advise doing something you really enjoy, not something everyone tells you is good for when you're older.

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
Yeh! definitely worth it but only if you think you are capable of getting a 2:1 or a first in my opinion! otherwise you may as well just spend some money going traveling or something!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The manufacturing sector are crying out for Young Engineers as the apprenticeship schemes really stopped.Any "good" degree (don't do Media or Sports Science) will be worth it.

Your opportunities to work overseas are greatly enhanced with an Engineering degree, and very well renumerated if you choose to do so.

Just because Engineering / Manufacturing isn't a major part of the economy here, doesn't mean that is the case in Germany, Japan, China, The USA, Australia, South Africa or the Middle East.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
dont be a mug.....get good at something you love YOURSELF, in your own time....use the internet to collaborate.

make/ create/ display something good, and then go it yourself or go direct to employers of your choice.

uni is a con so you end up in debt.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Started Uni this year , I can safely say it was the best decision of my life, minimal work, drinking most of the week , living away from home and making new friends from all different backgrounds.
Students will be just as well off under this new system, as £9000 is paid back only after you are earning £21,000 anyway.

As a 3rd year seeing this makes me want to cry. Wish I was a fresher again.

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
thoughts? im still considering it but finding it hard to justify the average £8k-£9k a year cost. pretty crazy how just a few years ago people were paying as little as a £1k-3k

An honest answer from a teacher who encourages people to go as much as possible?

It depends what you want, and it's not just a simple profit/cost calculation.

If you're looking at a degree that will get you a high paid job, then obviously, yes it's worth it.

If you're looking at a degree than won't get you a high paid job, or indeed any particular job, then it's only worth it if you value the edication itself that highly.

If you want to do a job (whether high paid or not) that you NEED a degree for, then it's worth it, because job happiness is as important to some people as makiing lots of money.

...and don't believe the person who slags engineering degrees either. A friend of mine used to work for Rolls Royce, designing engine components. He was on a phenominally high salary for very little work in real terms because of his level of expertise. A degree is worth what you make it worth.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If you have the aptitude, you have no option. The non-degree jobs are the pits. Well, not quite the pits because they are all closed.

I never even met a person who went to University until I left school. It was a world I did not know existed. Like books, something the rich kids had.

I met a few who did engineering at the Polytechs like Brighton though.

The Auctioneer

Jun 24, 2011
After much thought, I have decided to got to University and get a degree. Everyone seems to think a better job will be on offer at the end of it. I hope so. I really like the idea of all the partying and drinking. And if it only takes 3 years or so, i'll still be less than 60 years of age when it's completed. Happy days. Which Career do you think I should go for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports