Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unite PRICKS

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The thing that gets me about Unite is they go on about the big cheeses at these companies and in most cases the bosses of the unions are on 150k plus.....!

The banks aren't entirely to blame for the recession, anyone who claims we didn't see it coming is fooling themselves.

But anyway, if BAA are making a profit then yes there should be pay rises. If they aren't or only making a slight post tax profit then they can't afford to give pay rises, simples!

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Any anyway it'll be interesting to see how many jobs go when the inevitable double dip occurs. These ridiculously deep cuts by the government are already hitting confidence, jobs market is set to stall, housing market is stalling again......

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Any anyway it'll be interesting to see how many jobs go when the inevitable double dip occurs. These ridiculously deep cuts by the government are already hitting confidence, jobs market is set to stall, housing market is stalling again......

Take the blinkers off you fool - firstly these ridiculously deep cuts haven't even been announced yet - its all just media speculation and scaremongering coming from the left who just cant face up to the fact that yet again they have ballsed up the economy. Cuts will be made - and they have to be made because Labour made spending promises that we dont have the money to keep - simple as that. For instance at the Ministry of Defence (which remained the worst funded department under Labour) - at the end of the Labour tenure the MoD had made spending commitments that were so out of line with its revenue that if it were a company it would have been declared bankrupt.

We are in a worse condition than every single advanced economy (note germany's economic growth today) because Labour/Gordon Brown believed they had defeated the economic cycle that has existed for as long as countries have traded. With this false belief the government believed it could keep spending and the economy could keep growing except, just as in 1979, it hasnt so its left to the Tories to mop up the mess - and for the bitter left in the country - led by the unions to criticise the evil Tory party.

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
You can bet upper management get bonuses when they miss the target by 3%.

worse than that
bankers and bosses get bonuses for FAILURE!!!
too many bloody right wingers on here!
stop reading the Sun and the Telegraph and get into the Morning Star :)

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Take the blinkers off you fool - firstly these ridiculously deep cuts haven't even been announced yet - its all just media speculation and scaremongering coming from the left who just cant face up to the fact that yet again they have ballsed up the economy. Cuts will be made - and they have to be made because Labour made spending promises that we dont have the money to keep - simple as that. For instance at the Ministry of Defence (which remained the worst funded department under Labour) - at the end of the Labour tenure the MoD had made spending commitments that were so out of line with its revenue that if it were a company it would have been declared bankrupt.

We are in a worse condition than every single advanced economy (note germany's economic growth today) because Labour/Gordon Brown believed they had defeated the economic cycle that has existed for as long as countries have traded. With this false belief the government believed it could keep spending and the economy could keep growing except, just as in 1979, it hasnt so its left to the Tories to mop up the mess - and for the bitter left in the country - led by the unions to criticise the evil Tory party.

Completely agree Labour ballsed up and that the cuts have not even started but the cuts that have been made have been made without any consideration as to what will replace their function such as the film council which returns £4 to the economy for every £1 spent.....

It all needs to happen but in a considered way, not just slashing without a thought

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The difficult times are due to the recession moron. Yes, labour overspent in some areas but what has cost us all is the gambles made by the banks who are now giving themselves very handsome bonuses. Perhaps you like to ignore that because it does sit comfortably with you right wing views.

The banks operated (and operate) nationally and internationally under the laws/framework/rules/economic policy/guidelines whatever you want to call it that the government of the day allows.

Shame there wasn't just enough time in parliament what with the fox hunting bill etc. (that matters so much to all of us) to legislate against the madness of say 110-125% mortgages as an example of something that could have been made illegal before the whole deck of cards come crashing down.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
there is nothing wrong for standing up for better pay and conditions. if everybody had taken the attitude displayed here, there would be no employment law, no holiday/sick pay. no contracts, no safety in the work place. nothing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this smacks of non-competitive school sports day shite

this seems like a trite comment, but really gets the heart of the problem with alot of society today. "well i tried, so surely thats good enough - now gimmie".

These ridiculously deep cuts by the government are already hitting confidence

but no substantial custs have actually been made yet!!! shall we wait and see what happens after the spending review and where the cuts will fall? as far as i can see its the media hype thats hitting confidence, markets and business seem happy enough with the outlook.

...but what has cost us all is the gambles made by the banks who are now giving themselves very handsome bonuses. .

no, what has cost *us* the tax payer is the overspending by Labour. whats cost lot of investors is some banks going down the toilet and needing to be bailed out with LOANS. if the bankers have contracts to award a bonus if they individually hit their targets, the the bank collectively hits its targets, or it based on profit share what ever, thats their contractural right. those making big loses find themselves out on their arse. if board members of banks are seen to be paid for failure (which they have, no denying that), then write to your pension fund manager to ask that he pushes for change.

there is nothing wrong for standing up for better pay and conditions.

they aren't standing for better pay and conditions. they are asking for reward despite their obligation in the conditions not being met. i dont suppose it crossed the mind of the union to ask for a 50% bonus in light of the target being missed (im sure they will now and reach a compromise, claiming a victory to their members). we see where employers are respected rather than battled they can usually be quite reasonable, they know a pissed off workforce doesnt help their aims. unfortunatly unions, having won so many rights, find themselves with little to do but create rubble rousing arguments. funny how less than 50% members in this case even bothered to vote.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
there is nothing wrong for standing up for better pay and conditions. if everybody had taken the attitude displayed here, there would be no employment law, no holiday/sick pay. no contracts, no safety in the work place. nothing

Fair comment, you take the US, where there's no union there's usually sod all employee protection, I have seen a lot of people being treated worse than dirt, disguarded like used toilet paper literally on a whim. I was working at Amex when they were still at Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill when they had what had been (and probably still is) their only ever strike. They had decided that they could impose their hire and fire policies that they used in the States on people here, they found to their cost that they couldn't.

On the other side the US trade unions have massive power which has been used with great effect by organised crime. It started when mobsters were used as hired muscle against strike breakers but from there organised crime infiltrated the Unions and took control of their pension funds. A lot of Las Vegas was built by cheap loans from various union's pension funds.

Unions have their good and bad points, people missing out on their holidays is bad but not as bad as having essential services curtailed.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

Good answer................if it was 1960, it is now 2010 all these things that you list are covered by employment laws at both the national and European levels.

Also as it is in 2010 most people that live in the real world realise that they are pretty lucky to actually have a job as they have seen numerous members of the family/friends made redundant etc. If they are lucky enough to still have a job you can bet your bottom dollar a lot of them will have a 0% pay rise. That is why they get a little bit cheesed off when Unions call strikes for what they believe are spurious reasons (in this case for a bonus for a target that wasn't acheived amongst gripes) especially at this time and also especially when they have a major impact on their leisure/holiday time, which in a very tough economic period is one of the few bright spots of the year they can look forward to and enjoy.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Completely agree Labour ballsed up and that the cuts have not even started but the cuts that have been made have been made without any consideration as to what will replace their function such as the film council which returns £4 to the economy for every £1 spent.....

It all needs to happen but in a considered way, not just slashing without a thought

All the investment monies that the film council invested will remain. It's just that the bureucracy that is being abolished. Actually the money to be invested will be increased.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Good answer................if it was 1960, it is now 2010 all these things that you list are covered by employment laws at both the national and European levels.

Also as it is in 2010 most people that live in the real world realise that they are pretty lucky to actually have a job as they have seen numerous members of the family/friends made redundant etc. If they are lucky enough to still have a job you can bet your bottom dollar a lot of them will have a 0% pay rise. That is why they get a little bit cheesed off when Unions call strikes for what they believe are spurious reasons (in this case for a bonus for a target that wasn't acheived amongst gripes) especially at this time and also especially when they have a major impact on their leisure/holiday time, which in a very tough economic period is one of the few bright spots of the year they can look forward to and enjoy.

All fc was trying to do was to point out why we have unions that's all.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
All the investment monies that the film council invested will remain. It's just that the bureucracy that is being abolished. Actually the money to be invested will be increased.

But by who? This is what has not been thought through, they announce the abolishment but not who will take up the function. I'm all for savings but there is a need to think about who picks up the ball.

My Mrs works in the sector and they can not believe the cuts are being made without thought for who carries on the work (the needed parts, not the waste of money bits) and without any discussion with the sectors involved

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles

Exactly this. Spot on that man.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
All fc was trying to do was to point out why we have unions that's all.

I know and I agree they were once a very important instition in our society and have indeed helped bring about major changes in bettering the working conditions and pay for all UK employees, but union's overall net benefit to us as a country ended in the 60's and 70's and really all of the things that fc listed are nowadays irrelevant because they are enshrined in UK and European law.

Unions may take up a case in the event of that person having a claim of unfair dismissal for e.g and in that way they can be of use to an individual I totally agree (and for that reason I can understand why anybody would join one) however, on a national scale they are predominately a vehicle for left wing (predominately Communist) political agitators whom just love to have strikes and cause disruption (I mean have you ever seen Bob Crow saying no I hope my members don't vote for a strike!) because it suits their own political agendas, without having any consideration for the long term damage it may do the members they are supposed to be representing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why then do people get so upset over a few BAA workers asking for a decent pay rise. They didnt cause the problems we face. Instead they pay for it, whilst those that caused the problems show nothing but contempt.

Lets not forget who the truly greedy pricks are.

Because those of us that work in the private sector and haven't had a pay rise for quite sometime yet manage to scrimp and save to have a holiday then get screwed over by the strickers. It's about time the Unions were made to compensate the people their members make lose money.

My girlfriend is in Unite and recently went through a redundancy process that was incorrectly followed. All the Unite office would do is send leaflets - she could baely get to talk to anyone and they refused to send a rep because "the office was short staffed due to holidays" WTF !!!!!!!!! Thankfully she used my solicitor to screw her employer out of a substantial amount of money.

Unite are a complete shower of shite !!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's easy to be critical but I think that people put their needs before others most of the time. It just so happens that the BAA staff can mess with peoples' holidays. What about if supermarket workers went on strike and people had problems getting food ? There are those of us who can remember a three day week when to power workers went on strike. There are a lot of examples where strikes have forced an employer to take action but then there have also been strikes that have cost the strikers their jobs.

The BAA staff are merely doing what many have done before them, rightly or wrongly.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I know and I agree they were once a very important instition in our society and have indeed helped bring about major changes in bettering the working conditions and pay for all UK employees, but union's overall net benefit to us as a country ended in the 60's and 70's and really all of the things that fc listed are nowadays irrelevant because they are enshrined in UK and European law.

Unions may take up a case in the event of that person having a claim of unfair dismissal for e.g and in that way they can be of use to an individual I totally agree (and for that reason I can understand why anybody would join one) however, on a national scale they are predominately a vehicle for left wing (predominately Communist) political agitators whom just love to have strikes and cause disruption (I mean have you ever seen Bob Crow saying no I hope my members don't vote for a strike!) because it suits their own political agendas, without having any consideration for the long term damage it may do the members they are supposed to be representing.

No arguments here, more than a few times I have been to put it mildly, inconvenienced because of industrial action (ironic term as it usually involves a lot of inaction). The BAA strike will make a lot of people very unhappy but it won't kill them. The British Airways staff could kill BA but it's more likely that BA will go to the government and thus us, the taxpayer, to bail them out.

If doctors, nurses, firemen, police and host of others went on strike people could easily die. A matter of degree in many ways but what may appear selfish to one person is a matter of vital importance to another, depending on their own agendas.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton

The point is that Labour splashed the (borrowed) cash around all and sundry to essentially try and keep themselves in power and now the Tories are working on identifying which of this can be cut. Given we need to cut as much as possible as soon as possible - just look at the interest payments we are having to fund - I am sure that somewhere amongst the billions a few deserving cases will lose much needed funding but thats inevitable when you are looking at saving hundreds of billions of pounds.

The Film Council to me seemed a bizarre example - isnt there some irony in these multi millionaire actors and directors (no doubt domiciled in the Cayman Islands) complaining that tax payers money wont be available for them to fund their films - Sex Lives of the Potato Men anyone?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The BAA strike will make a lot of people very unhappy but it won't kill them.

Agreed - and its not "not having a holiday" I object to. It's Unite making me lose the money I've spent on the holiday that really winds me up. I could spend that money on treating my children, or put some to charity, or buying my season ticket to Falmer etc etc etc.

I'd bet my mortgage that if the Stewards at the Albion belonged to Unite and went on strike for a season and people on here missed matches because of it then all hell would break lose.

The problem with Unions is that they tend to be run by the braindead who think strike, strike, strike. Instead they should look at ways to cause the company pain and not the customer - work to rule, not completeing paperwork etc. The teaching unions are beginning to realise this but the dinosaurs at Unite and it's equally stupid membership aren't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here