Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unions

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I suspect most of those criticizing Unions have never been a member and merely judge them on the media coverage of strikes. However, if it wasn't for the Union movement, many of the employment benefits that both public and private sector employees enjoy would not be there today.

Look at the work the miners unions did in respect of mesothelioma.

Unite represent a large number of private sector employees, particularly in the finance sector.

There are extreme union leaders who give the whole movement a bad name and set a bad example with their ' us and them' attitude whilst taking a large salary but on the whole, they do more good than harm.

As for the idiot that blames the unions for the decline in manufacturing you need to get a life. The decline in manufacturing is purely down to the fact that labour costs are cheaper in the far east, simple as. Same goes for all the call centres overseas.

I joined a union when my employer shafted the staff with a 5% paycut when the company was making massive profits every year but a lower salary bill made the company more attractive to buy. They sold out to HSBC and the management all made a fortune.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I suspect most of those criticizing Unions have never been a member and merely judge them on the media coverage of strikes. However, if it wasn't for the Union movement, many of the employment benefits that both public and private sector employees enjoy would not be there today.

Unite represent a large number of private sector employees, particularly in the finance sector.

There are extreme union leaders who give the whole movement a bad name and set a bad example with their ' us and them' attitude whilst taking a large salary but on the whole, they do more good than harm.

As for the idiot that blames the unions for the decline in manufacturing you need to get a life. The decline in manufacturing is purely down to the fact that labour costs are cheaper in the far east, simple as. Same goes for all the call centres overseas.

I joined a union when my employer shafted the staff with a 5% paycut when the company was making massive profits every year but a lower salary bill made the company more attractive to buy. They sold out to HSBC and the management all made a fortune.

Well said.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think we should all completely ABANDON our Union membership these days. I mean, it's so last century isn't it? The workforce should just accept their shitty lot in life & just be thankful that companies still bother to employ mere human beings to keep the shareholders rich & happy. With any luck, we'll get to a point where children will PAY to crawl up the chimneys of the wealthy - just so they can recognise their lives aren't completely worthless. Facking Prol's. :hammer:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

The unions have increased the cost of doing business in this country. And increased the ability for European labour to come here and take your jobs as they are willing to work for less.

When will people understand that the unions have had their time. They are slowly and surely screwing companies into a position where they have no choice but to offshore.

Unless the CWU walk away from the Royal Mail debate, the majority of your mail will be sorted by a Dutch company, and dropped through your door by a token Royal Mail postie. Royal Mail as you know it will cease to exist.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The unions have increased the cost of doing business in this country.

Oh well.

Very few companies voluntarily willing to treat their employees as anything other than an annoyance adversely affecting the bottom line.

At least they've stopping using that shameful bullshit line: 'Our Most Valuable Asset Is Our People'.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Trade unions are pretty much the main reason why we don't produce anything in this country any more.

Only people who are workshy people in the public sector join them.

The funny thing is it's the same people who are the most vocal about the bankers at the moment.

The unions have increased the cost of doing business in this country. And increased the ability for European labour to come here and take your jobs as they are willing to work for less.

When will people understand that the unions have had their time. They are slowly and surely screwing companies into a position where they have no choice but to offshore.

Unless the CWU walk away from the Royal Mail debate, the majority of your mail will be sorted by a Dutch company, and dropped through your door by a token Royal Mail postie. Royal Mail as you know it will cease to exist.

If the management of companies treated people fairly then you wouldn't need unions and any employment law to protect people's rights. What you are suggesting is that everything should be based on the lowest common denominator. How sad you are.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When will people understand that the unions have had their time. They are slowly and surely screwing companies into a position where they have no choice but to offshore

Offshoring has been a disaster for some companies , faced with the fact they were losing customers left , right and centre they have brought the work back to the UK.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If the management of companies treated people fairly then you wouldn't need unions and any employment law to protect people's rights. What you are suggesting is that everything should be based on the lowest common denominator. How sad you are.

You have employment tribunal to go to if you are unfairly treated. Read your employment contract before you sign it and if you don't like it don't sign it?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Oh well.

Very few companies voluntarily willing to treat their employees as anything other than an annoyance adversely affecting the bottom line.

At least they've stopping using that shameful bullshit line: 'Our Most Valuable Asset Is Our People'.

Such a cynical view, yes employees are a cost, but they often don't make themselves popular by standing behind the apron strings of a union.

If a union is going to screw a company for more money than employees are entitled to then they are going to adversley effect the profitability of the company. Its that simple. If the company is paying the employees less than there contracts state, then the company needs hauling over the coals of and employment tribunal...thats what its there for....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

There is treating people fairly, and there is Unions holding employers to ransom.

The Royal Mail strikes this time around are over the agreement from the last series of strikes being implemented in areas like London, an agreement that has been successfully implemented elsewhere without a problem?

Why were the conditions acceptable 2 years ago and not now? It's not the management of Royal Mail making unfair demands on their staff, just asking them to work to the conditions the last strikes agreed to.

This strike has alot to do with a union that is outdated and out of touch with the realities of the market their members work in and a union that demands that the Royal Mail should be treated differently to any other business. Businesses that fail to adapt to a changing market will fail, going on strike will not change that.

They fail to recognise a drop in volume, and choose to blame management rather than changing technology and demands and the union would rather see the whole industry fail rather than work in the best interest of the companyand their members in the long term.

Why should a union behave like they run the company rather than the bosses and try to hold to ransom those who do run it?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think you'll find there has been scattered industrial action throughout the UK by CWU members since 2007 where management have introduced new working conditions outside of the original agreement , in effect moving the goalposts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If a union is going to screw a company for more money than employees are entitled to then they are going to adversley effect the profitability of the company. Its that simple. If the company is paying the employees less than there contracts state, then the company needs hauling over the coals of and employment tribunal...thats what its there for....

Does that stream of incoherent gibberish even MEAN anything? ???

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Why should a union behave like they run the company rather than the bosses and try to hold to ransom those who do run it?

I think you'll find that when you have a tosser like Adam Crosier at the helm - then mis-management & wide-scale disillusionment are as sure as night following day. £3.5 million a year? Cheap at twice the price. Obviously. :rolleyes:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I think you are talking out of your bottom mate! Are you saying that employees in this country should take wage cuts so that their labour costs equal those of someone working in a chinese sweatshop for example! Exactly what industries are you referring to that have unions and are now dominated by foreign workers. I would suggest it is more likely that foreign workers are taking up jobs where there are no unions.

You have employment tribunal to go to if you are unfairly treated. Read your employment contract before you sign it and if you don't like it don't sign it?

Bottom talk again. I signed a contract and without digging out the old paperwork, nowhere did it say the company could arbitrarily give everyone a 5% paycut. Just so you are aware, the situation was that 5% of salary was paid in a taxed lump sum at xmas, not unusual in the insurance broking business. The tories introduced PRP, Profit Related Pay, and our company 'persuaded' everyone to sacrifice the 5% salary to introduce the PRP which, ours being a very profitable business seemed to make sense. However, to ensure everyone signed up, we had a memo from the managing director confirming that if legislation changed to affect PRP then they would reintroduce the 5% salary payment. The tories changed the system again to phase out PRP but our company refused to honour the written promise from the MD. The company had been bought by HSBC but under TUPE they were obliged to honour the agreement.

For your information, I did issue Tribunal papers against the company and, according to the legal advice I had from several quarters, would easily have won however, I subsequently found a job in London and therefore withdrew the papers as I was not suffering a financial loss (I would have done had I stayed). It was because of that I joined a union to ensure legal protection.

Speaking from experience, it is not easy to take on the company you work for which, going by your suggestions, would probably be the baulk of Tribunal work as it would relate to any change in contract conditions. What would you do if you company said we are reducing holidays to only 10 days a year, or your line manager didn't like your face or the fact you pulled the girl at the xmas party he had his eye on and therefore he just says your fired. Your boss says to you all we are reducing your salary so he can pay himself a bigger bonus.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I think you'll find that when you have a tosser like Adam Crosier at the helm - then mis-management & wide-scale disillusionment are as sure as night following day. £3.5 million a year? Cheap at twice the price. Obviously. :rolleyes:

Twinkle Toes, I like the cut of your jib!!!

Crosier comes over as a complete arse. Wasn't he involved with the FA in a previous life?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Typical workshy attitude!

If you don't like how the management are treating you you work hard and become the management.

They should sack the lot of the posties and replace them with eastern europeans, then they'd have something to moan about.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Trade unions are pretty much the main reason why we don't produce anything in this country any more.

Only people who are workshy people in the public sector join them.

The funny thing is it's the same people who are the most vocal about the bankers at the moment.

Fair comment actually.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
The Unions have been used by the left to fight their idealogical battles. Unions are a good thing in defending workers rights but the left have destroyed them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here