Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Currently 2-0 up against the 2nd place team approaching half time.

This would put USG 18 points clear at the top.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I have just seen Sebastian Pocognoli plays for them. Can still remember his free kick

Can still remember me and my smoking a joint while watching 200 replays of Pocognoli first nutmeg someone and then pretty much in the same move tap the guys shoulder as to say "its ok buddy, I'm just very good".

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
50 odd years since this (very) historic Belgian club played in their top flight. Another feather in TB’s cap.
Or another team bankrolled through the leagues by a billionaire.

I like the way we try to look at this as some sort of romantic footballing achievement. Rather than bankrolling a team through the divisions. Again

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It does occur to me that since Brexit getting promising European talent has become much trickier. Bit of a blinder possibly by TB here. A top flight team to send prospects to and once they are ready to come over here their value is part of the points calculation, and if you're effectively paying yourself then overpaying to secure a work permit is much less painful.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I like the way we try to look at this as some sort of romantic footballing achievement. Rather than bankrolling a team through the divisions. Again

This was exactly Mrs Blue3 comment to which I suggested you and her should go and set up another post somewhere leaving this one to revel in the fact we have TBs money but also his ability for forward thinking

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

In the history of football it’s always been thus:

Early success fuelled by the Northern manufacturing powerhouses and the readiness to be Professional/Paid clubs. Abolition of the maximum wage in 1961. Sky in 1992. Debt financing beloved by the Yanks and finally questionable Oligarchs & States hiding in plain sight/sports washing.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Through the divisions? They haven't been promoted once since Bloom took over. Of course it looks like they'll be going up this year, no doubt aided by Tony's investment, but their transfer spend is hardly indicative of financial doping.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
In the history of football it’s always been thus:

Early success fuelled by the Northern manufacturing powerhouses and the readiness to be Professional/Paid clubs. Abolition of the maximum wage in 1961. Sky in 1992. Debt financing beloved by the Yanks and finally questionable Oligarchs & States hiding in plain sight/sports washing.
Fair point! I'm just a sucker for the romance of the underdog

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
Another win for Tony's other team. A 3-2 win over Lommel Utd. They did it the hard way going down to a goal in the 1st minute only to equalize in the 59th but then going behind once more in the 66th minute. Just 3 minutes later they were on level terms and the fightback was completed in the 93rd minute when Deniz Undav completed his hat-trick. Well done US-G

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A handy draw between the teams in 2nd and 3rd means that USG need 2 points from 6 games to be crowned Champions and promoted.

Saturday evening could be when the celebrations start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here