Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nobody's suggesting they don't - but as some on here said at the time, it made for a good weekend* to go and watch our Brighton player playing for USG - and probably would be again if we had one or two promising teenagers getting a bit of grown-up football out there.

*Including having a drink on the terraces while watching the game!

I'm not sure the fact that a large section of Albion fans enjoy drinking strong continental lager on terraces comes up when Ashworth, Weir and Potter are discussing the appropriate loan club for the young talent. Maybe it should.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not sure the fact that a large section of Albion fans enjoy drinking strong continental lager on terraces comes up when Ashworth, Weir and Potter are discussing the appropriate loan club for the young talent. Maybe it should.

Nobody's saying that either. If the owner of USG plays ball, and appoints a manager and director of football with the same ethos as Potter and Ashworth, and plays in the same way then it could be a very useful destination for young loanees.

I expect the owner's an awkward sod who won't go along with Bloom's ideas though. Shame that.

...........oh.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Maybe USG don’t want to become our feeder club? It must be pretty demoralising to see your team just become a hub for another clubs not-quite-good-enough players to get some experience. You’ll never be able to build something solid for the future when your key players are never going to end up being with you for more than a year or two.

There’s also the fact that it doesn’t actually work very often to consider too. Chelsea have loaned nearly 30 players to Vitesse and a grand total of 2 of them have had any sort of career at Chelsea. Matic; who they sold and then resigned before he got a chance, and Mount. The success stories are heavily outweighed by Ulises Davila, Mukhtar Ali & Wallace

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't really understand why we don't send them a collection of talent that we want to get first team opportunities but didn't manage to arrange a loan club for. If it could get them promoted we would then have a better place to send young prospects for game time. Hayden Roberts would benefit hugely from a year of regular games and it would develop his experience hugely

Whilst not as interesting/good as Percy, we did send Soufyan Ahannach there last season. He only played a couple of times mind before joining Go Ahead Eagles in January.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
USG have a great chance of promotion this year.

The format has changed and of the 8 teams 1 goes up automatically, and another gets a promotion playoff.

4 poor-ish teams have come up from the division below, and Bruges U23 added to make up the numbers ( no promotion for them).

So top 2 looks like it is between 3 teams - USG, Lommel ( A Man City group PetroState sportswash team ) and Westerlo.

USG won the only game so far - so now top of the league.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They have a player called Brighton Labeau which sort of translates to Brighton the beautiful.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Mmmmm funny that move, says on his Wilkie page he partnered both Webster & Clarke at Portsmouth. I cant see the benefit for us in the long run but maybe to stabilise the defence at USG in the short term. He is not a youngster at 28 so not one for the future for us or USG. Maybe Bloom just wants to steal every available CB at Pompey?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This would be a great location for Jenks/Gwargis/any of our young players looking for their first loan move

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Mmmmm funny that move, says on his Wilkie page he partnered both Webster & Clarke at Portsmouth. I cant see the benefit for us in the long run but maybe to stabilise the defence at USG in the short term. He is not a youngster at 28 so not one for the future for us or USG. Maybe Bloom just wants to steal every available CB at Pompey?

We became aware of Burgess when scouting Clarke, he ticked a lot of our boxes, but as you say ultimately not one for the future and was no better than we already have. However the scouting network cleary serve a purpose for both clubs and Burgess was signed up by Tony for his other team. There was an article about it when Burgess signed but I cant find it to share.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here