Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Union Saint-Gilloise v Club Bruges 17:30

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The final round of the Belgian Pro League playoffs is today at 17:30. One of the few matches left this season where we have investment.

BELGIAN FIRST DIVISION A​

• KRC Genk v Royal Antwerp
  • Union Saint-Gilloise v Club Bruges
Tony’s USG need to win to have a chance of winning the League and getting into the Play-Off with BSC Young Boys for the Champions League group stages. If Antwerp win too, it’s game over but if they draw or lose, Tony’s USG take the title providing they have secured 3 points.

This could be a big match for our Adingra. But it might be bittersweet for him as he’ll surely not be in Belgium for the following fixtures if they are successful today:

CL Play-off rounds22–23 August 202329–30 August 2023

That said, I’ve no doubt Tony will have swollen their team with more loan talent by the end of August if they are playing for the Champions League.

Last edited:

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
They are guarnteed at least a Europa League place, are they not?
Yes I think you’re right. Belgium has five European spots next year but no automatic CL entry. However in 24/25 the league winner will go into the CL draw as there will be new UEFA co-efficient rankings which sees Belgium rise in the standings.
Genk won the regular league so are in one of the Europa play off spots and Antwerp won the Croky Cup so are guaranteed some sort of Europa play off spot as well.
This Euro malarkey is all a bit bloody confusing!

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I'm totally confused. Presuming they are in this playoff group because they've missed out on being champions of Belgium, is the OP just referring to success in this group as 'winning the League' and 'taking the title'?

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I'm totally confused. Presuming they are in this playoff group because they've missed out on being champions of Belgium, is the OP just referring to success in this group as 'winning the League' and 'taking the title'?
No it’s nothing like what we are used to.
Genk won the regular season and are guaranteed a Euro play off spot.
The top four then enter a play off for two other spots
Teams who finish 5 to 8 also enter a season end play off for a Euro qualification play off spot in the conference.
Winners of the Croky Cup (Antwerp) also get some sort of Euro qualification play off spot.
So of the four in the top 1 to 4 play off, two already have a Euro place.
Utterly confusing.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
All teams play against each other in the regular season, just like the Premier League, however those who finish in the top four places go into a championship play-off round.

Now this is where it starts to get confusing...
The points obtained by those top four teams in the regular season is then halved (and rounded up) before the start of the championship play-off round.
These four teams then play against each other (home/away) in order to accumulate the most points to become champion.
For example last season, Union SG were first in the regular season but not champions as Club Brugge had gained more additional points than them in the championship play-off with 36+14=50 (whilst USG had 39+7=46).

European spots are determined by championship play-off position this season so:
1st means Champions League play-off
2nd means Champions League second qualifying round
3nd means Europa League play-off

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
All teams play against each other in the regular season, just like the Premier League, however those who finish in the top four places go into a championship play-off round.

Now this is where it starts to get confusing...
The points obtained by those top four teams in the regular season is then halved (and rounded up) before the start of the championship play-off round.
These four teams then play against each other (home/away) in order to accumulate the most points to become champion.
For example last season, Union SG were first in the regular season but not champions as Club Brugge had gained more additional points than them in the championship play-off with 36+14=50 (whilst USG had 39+7=46).

European spots are determined by league position this season so:
1st means Champions League play-off
2nd means Champions League second qualifying round
3nd means Europa League play-off
Kind of makes the play-offs a little redundant of interest then. Although I agree that it should be league positions in normal season.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Kind of makes the play-offs a little redundant of interest then. Although I agree that it should be league positions in normal season.
I should have been more clear with my explanation.
1st, 2nd and 3rd are determined in the championship play-off, not the regular season.
So you could finish 1st in the regular season, and end up in 3rd after the championship play-off granting a Europa League play-off spot.
Basically it relies on today's final championship play-off matches for those European places and the Belgian League title.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hope you sign Boniface from USG.
I’d like this, but I’m not sure it’s happening in a squad that already contains Ferguson, Welbeck, Undav, and Pedro.

Although, who knows? With potentially 10+ more games to play next year, we may well need the extra man. Squad size shouldn’t be an issue with so many U21s.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I’d imagine if Boniface was to leave USG, Abdullah Sima may end up there on loan if not sold. Very similar profiles

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Seriously, why would Genk need to enter it if they're already guaranteed a Euro play off spot? 😦
The regular season winner (Genk) will be in the Europa Conference League second qualifying round.
See post 11 for the breakdown for the final positions in the Belgium play offs. If Genk win the play off mini-league then they move to the CL play off round.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It really is a pathetic end to the season in this league… You win the league and then go in the Conference League.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As an aside, I swear last season Union tweeted half in French and half in Dutch? Now it seems they just tweet in French?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here