Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Do they meet your satisfaction Uncle Spunkberg? I would ask you yours but I think I already know.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Narc looks interesting as does the cement garden. Already seen the other 2. I may hire out Narc on your recommendation as it could be up my street.

Best non Spielberg films

The Machinist
Gladiator
The Thin Red Line
Somewhere in Time
Eraserhead
Field of Dreams
The Shawshank Redemption
Magnolia
The English Patient
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Pulp Fiction
Seven
Fight Club
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Lost Weekend
Save the Tiger
The Odd Couple
Aliens
The Terminator
United 93
Narnia
Cinderella Man

just off the top of my head for starters

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Narc looks interesting as does the cement garden. Already seen the other 2. I may hire out Narc on your recommendation as it could be up my street.

Best non Spielberg films

The Machinist - Mint
Gladiator - Ok
The Thin Red Line - Very Good
Somewhere in Time - Never seen
Eraserhead - Never seen
Field of Dreams - Good
The Shawshank Redemption - Good
Magnolia - Good
The English Patient - Never seen
Planes Trains and Automobiles - Haven't seen since I was about 10 but my mate constantly raves about it.
Pulp Fiction - Quality
Seven - Quality
Fight Club - Awesome
Glengarry Glen Ross - Brilliant
The Lost Weekend - Never seen
Save the Tiger - Never seen
The Odd Couple - Not my cup'o'tea
Aliens - Wicked film
The Terminator - Good
United 93 - Haven't seen
Narnia - Poo
Cinderella Man - McMassive pants

just off the top of my head for starters

Some excellent films there Unc. You should definately check out Narc, is amazing. Cement Garden is very good, but may be a bit difficult to get hold of. Also check out the War Zone, The Beat That My Heart Skipped, Consequences of Love, Read my Lips, Brick and Brotherhood of the Wolf just off the top of my head.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think I jolly well will hire out Narc as they other half may like it as well. My report will follow.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
See above, I think it looks repulsive and I have heard that during screenings loads of blokes get up and walk out and hurl abuse at the screen.

It appears it does the impossible of making people feel sorry for paedophiles.

Cheap shot, utterly reprehensible to me and the only reason people will go it to see some bloke have his nuts cut off without anaethetic.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
See above, I think it looks repulsive and I have heard that during screenings loads of blokes get up and walk out and hurl abuse at the screen.

It appears it does the impossible of making people feel sorry for paedophiles.

Cheap shot, utterly reprehensible to me and the only reason people will go it to see some bloke have his nuts cut off without anaethetic.

Well I haven't heard anything about it making people feel sorry for Paedos, I think you may be underestimating the audience there a bit Unc. I think it sounds quite interesting from a film theory point of view, positioning a man (usually the protagonist or at least the controller of the narrative) in a position of intense vulnerability. Not sure I really want to see it though.

Ben Dover

Jan 19, 2006
But it cant be as bad as this film i saw a while ago where a little boy fists his little league coach.:nono:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Ben Dover said:
But it cant be as bad as this film i saw a while ago where a little boy fists his little league coach.:nono:
Starring Theo Walcott and Sven?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Go if you want and report here, I am being a hypocrit as I have not seen it and am doing what I dislike other people doing, making a judgement on hearsay but Kermode said quite a few people, mainly blokes walked out and were not happy.

The girl drugs the guy and cuts off his nuts with a scalpel without anaesthetic just ice, the sound effects are meant to be really bad.

Just think the premise is all wrong and I would feel sorry for the guy no matter what he was supposed to have done.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Ben Dover said:

Mysterious Skin, an excellent film I advise anyone to check it out.

Ben Dover

Jan 19, 2006
Les Biehn said:
Mysterious Skin, an excellent film I advise anyone to check it out.

Thats what it was! Was trying to recommend it to someone but just couldnt think of the name.:down:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
POV with Katsumi is quite a good watch.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Go if you want and report here, I am being a hypocrit as I have not seen it and am doing what I dislike other people doing, making a judgement on hearsay but Kermode said quite a few people, mainly blokes walked out and were not happy.

The girl drugs the guy and cuts off his nuts with a scalpel without anaesthetic just ice, the sound effects are meant to be really bad.

Just think the premise is all wrong and I would feel sorry for the guy no matter what he was supposed to have done.

But surely that's the point, you are a decent human being so you don't revel in others pain. As far as I can tell the film is posing some interesting questions about punishment and the commodification of sex. Cinema usually empowers men (I am generalising a bit here) so it is interesting to see what reaction they have when viewing this film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If it were a bloke cutting off a womans breasts and labia it would have seen the light of day.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
If it were a bloke cutting off a womans breasts and labia it would have seen the light of day.

Holy shit. Well I can think of one films where a women has her breasts cut off (Tears of the Sun) and in From Hell Jack the Ripper cuts womens vaginas off but I didn't hear anyone complaining. I understand it is pretty disturbing and I don't particularly want to see it but you have to think about the questions it asked. I tmay be completely gratuitous but it might also have something interesting to say.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Fantastic Four

A family type film was requested. This film is formula Super hero's stuff. Some pretty decent CGI which is good on the eye. The
$ 100 000 000 is on the screen but the story was pretty threadbare and they don't save that many mere mortals which is the point of a super hero surely.

Certainly not crap but no world beater either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here