Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg's Film Club

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
The Machinist knocked me sideways like no other film has done for 5 years at least. It is an extraordinary piece and certianly in my top 10 films ever made.

It was good but not that amazing. Mysterious Skin, The Beat that My Heart Skipped and Consequences of Love were all better films and they are just in the last year.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the true genious of Spielberg will be recognised when he is dead and gone, at the moment he is top of the tree and a lot of people don't like that, Cruise suffers from a similar problem, whereas certainly not in the genious category like Spielberg he is knocked because he is tops but he has one of the best portfolios of any actor working today and his weird Scientology practices aside everytime I have seen him talk he has come across as a nice bloke and his 4 hours signing photos is a lesson for his rivals to follow.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Each to their own. I could hardly move off the couch for half an hour after the final credits for the Machinist finished.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Spielberg said:
Each to their own. I could hardly move off the couch for half an hour after the final credits for the Machinist finished.
You want to cut down on those Pringles then.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:p

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sometimes a film actually has a life changing effect on you and you think of things differently, it hardly ever happens but I still remember Schindler's List 11 years on the whole cinema sat in silence right the way through the end credits and after the lights came up. Never seen that before or after. That film was a true work of genious.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lemming at the Duke of York's.

Not as good as Moll's last film (Harry, he's here to help) but still pretty good.

It's not quite a thriller but there are a few twists in the plot and some excellent acting.

Rating 7

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Quite quiet last week saw

Around the world in 80 days 2005 - DVD

This film took a bit of a beasting from the pens of the film critics generally and performed terribly at the US box office taking
$ 24 000 000 and a modest £ 4 000 000 at the UK box office against a budget of $ 110 000 000 so I was expecting a total turkey. As turkey's go this wasn't at the races.

Ok it was always on a hiding to nothing following the fondly remembered 1956 classic with David Niven and it was more a star vehicle exercise for Jackie Chan and his high kicking but it was certainly better than the reviews and box office suggested. Steve Coogan is not your Hollywood leading man but did a sound enough job playing second fiddle to Chan and did a reasonable job. It was fast, mildly entertaining and although not a purchase piece was worth a watch and a 6.1 rating.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Seems none of the actors in the film itself like what they are doing and merely mock performances they have made before. Not the worst film ever made, but forgetful in seconds making us all wish for a lifetime of amnesia.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Fun With Dick & Jane

More slapstick goonery from the rubberman himself, Jim Carey, ably supported this time by Tia Leone in (what I think is) her first comedy role. She certainly scrubs up fairly well in this, and I found her mildly alluring throughout. A paper-thin plot with a daft, unworkable ending, but as the plot is just a carrier for Carey to pull lots of faces, flap about and shout a lot, then plot isn't really what you'd go to see this film for anyway. A few decent chuckles along the way, but overall quite disappointing, and certainly not a patch on the genius of The Mask, Ace Ventura, Me Myself & Irene or the darker and hugely underrated Cable Guy.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" Cable Guy is Jim Carrey's best film "

Uncle Spielberg 15/5/06

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Agree that Glengarry Glen Ross is a bit special

anway, this weekend I saw 'Wisdom of Crocodiles" Jude Law and Timothy Spall, I found it a little flat, wouldn't recommend it to anyone - not BAD, just not all that good.

Also watched "The Last Supper", entertaining black comedy ensemble piece, highly recommended, a bit stagey but that's not a bad thing for home viewing

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Collateral

Not too shabby a movie, easy to follow, although the black dudes acting at times is abit pants...Cruise is decent enough as ever. Plot line was obvious from the start although there was one suprise in that which was cool.
I enjoyed it and I never felt like switching over at any point.

Above average and just about good enough I'd say.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Uncle Spielberg's film recommendation this week

Kevin Bacon is one of Hollywoods top notch actor imho and this film was over shadowed by the inferior Sixth Sense which has a similar them. This is better, watch it. 7.8

Stir of Echoes (1999)
Directed by
David Koepp

Genre: Thriller / Horror / Mystery (more)

Tagline: In every mind there is a door that has never been opened. (more)

Plot Outline: After being hypnotized by his sister in law, a man begins seeing haunting visions of a girl's ghost and a mystery begins to unfold around her. (more) (view trailer)

User Rating: 7.0/10 (13,886 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:
Zachary David Cope .... Jake Witzky
Kevin Bacon .... Tom Witzky
Kathryn Erbe .... Maggie Witzky
Illeana Douglas .... Lisa Weil
Kevin Dunn .... Frank McCarthy
Conor O'Farrell .... Harry Damon
Lusia Strus .... Sheila McCarthy
Stephen Eugene Walker .... Bobby
Mary Kay Cook .... Vanessa Damon
Larry Neumann Jr. .... Lenny
Jennifer Morrison .... Samantha Kozac (as Jenny Morrison)
Richard Cotovsky .... Neighborhood Man
Steve Rifkin .... Kurt Damon (as Steve Rifkin)
Chalon Williams .... Adam McCarthy
Liza Weil .... Debbie Kozac, the Babysitter
(more)

Awards: 2 wins & 1 nomination (more)

STIR OF ECHOES

User Comments:

MUCH better than Sixth Sense, 25 August 2002

Author: CoenHead

There is an intelligence and honesty to "Stir of Echoes" that doesn't exist within "Sixth Sense" - the entire movie doesn't rest on a singular, easily deducible device either. It took me about thirty seconds to realize in "The Sixth Sense" that Bruce Willis' character was, in fact, a ghost - but in "Stir of Echoes" nothing is revealed ahead of its time.

There is a humanity and sincerity in the relationships as well - no stereotypical, strained single mom/difficult kid relationship like in "Sixth Sense", but in fact an honestly written and acted relationship with genuine tensions and joys and hardships.

Ileana Douglas deserves a special mention for a fantastic performance in a supporting role - as usual. What a wonderful, talented actress she is, and deserves to be more widely known - she can act rings around the Julia Roberts of the world.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Uncle Spielberg said:
Uncle Spielberg's film recommendation this week

Kevin Bacon is one of Hollywoods top notch actor imho and this film was over shadowed by the inferior Sixth Sense which has a similar them. This is better, watch it. 7.8

Stir of Echoes (1999)
Directed by
David Koepp

Genre: Thriller / Horror / Mystery (more)

Tagline: In every mind there is a door that has never been opened. (more)

Plot Outline: After being hypnotized by his sister in law, a man begins seeing haunting visions of a girl's ghost and a mystery begins to unfold around her. (more) (view trailer)

User Rating: 7.0/10 (13,886 votes)

Cast overview, first billed only:
Zachary David Cope .... Jake Witzky
Kevin Bacon .... Tom Witzky
Kathryn Erbe .... Maggie Witzky
Illeana Douglas .... Lisa Weil
Kevin Dunn .... Frank McCarthy
Conor O'Farrell .... Harry Damon
Lusia Strus .... Sheila McCarthy
Stephen Eugene Walker .... Bobby
Mary Kay Cook .... Vanessa Damon
Larry Neumann Jr. .... Lenny
Jennifer Morrison .... Samantha Kozac (as Jenny Morrison)
Richard Cotovsky .... Neighborhood Man
Steve Rifkin .... Kurt Damon (as Steve Rifkin)
Chalon Williams .... Adam McCarthy
Liza Weil .... Debbie Kozac, the Babysitter
(more)

Awards: 2 wins & 1 nomination (more)

STIR OF ECHOES

User Comments:

MUCH better than Sixth Sense, 25 August 2002

Author: CoenHead

There is an intelligence and honesty to "Stir of Echoes" that doesn't exist within "Sixth Sense" - the entire movie doesn't rest on a singular, easily deducible device either. It took me about thirty seconds to realize in "The Sixth Sense" that Bruce Willis' character was, in fact, a ghost - but in "Stir of Echoes" nothing is revealed ahead of its time.

There is a humanity and sincerity in the relationships as well - no stereotypical, strained single mom/difficult kid relationship like in "Sixth Sense", but in fact an honestly written and acted relationship with genuine tensions and joys and hardships.

Ileana Douglas deserves a special mention for a fantastic performance in a supporting role - as usual. What a wonderful, talented actress she is, and deserves to be more widely known - she can act rings around the Julia Roberts of the world.

I wouldn't say Sixth Sense is inferior, it has more atmosphere but Stir of Echoes has a bit more depth to it. Both good films though.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
School of Rock 7/10 Jack Black does comedy very well. Down on his luck musician who takes a teaching supply job (even though unqualified) and basically forms the kids into a rock band.

King Kong 5/10 I guess I should not watch the same actor in back to back films. Hard to buy into Jack as a serious character after watching him as a crazy teacher.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Mission Impossible: 3 - Much better than the other two in my opinion.

8/10.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Kinky Gerbils said:
Saw Prime.

It was enjoyable enough but predictable - some good lines in it and would suggest it if you are at a loss.

I agree with that, saw it last week and thought it was alright, but wouldn't be to upset if i didn't see it again

Am planning on seeing silent hill and when a stranger calls, i have the original WASC on dvd and its not to bad so quite intressted to see what an updated version with the use of mobile phones is going to be like

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just watched Hostel.

If you enjoy prolongued torture scenes of blood, gore, hacking, maiming, screaming, drilling, chopping, slashing, sawing, piercing, burning, raking, vomiting, bludgeoning and general mutilation, then this is the film for you.

If you enjoy character and plot development, intrigue, plausibility, a good script with fine acting and a surprising but satisfying twist, then avoid avoid AVOID.

And thats only for the nice tits when they're in Amsterdam.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here