Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK economy shrinks in April

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've recently started my first foray into the stock market. But the dip they say, but it looks like I could have picked a better time. Currently 30% of my allocated cash is invested, I am slowly going to enter positions over the next twelve months as I think a bearish market is probably likely. Any advice appreciated though.

Gold is what I've started investing in, but steer clear of gold bars, go for British coins as they're exempt from capital gains tax.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've read the whole thread and there are no suggestions about what to do about this. How do we grow the economy?

No ideas off the table?

Nationally important infrastructure projects are a good way of doing it. But it would have to be something which would return that investment at some stage. The obvious one is green energy projects.

I wouldn't trust our government to do anything like this. They won't spend a penny of public money without considering how it can help the Conservative party

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I've recently started my first foray into the stock market. But the dip they say, but it looks like I could have picked a better time. Currently 30% of my allocated cash is invested, I am slowly going to enter positions over the next twelve months as I think a bearish market is probably likely. Any advice appreciated though.

If you are youngish and have a relatively long term investment horizon, then you should probably be fine drip feeding your ‘hard earned’ into the markets over the next year or so, although there are no guarantees, of course!
As an oldie of almost 74, my time frames are probably shorter than yours, but my investments are skewed towards income, so I just take the dividends as part of my pension and try not to concern myself too much with the gyrations of the stock market. Volatility such as we are experiencing at the moment can be disconcerting, though, but the advice through the ages has generally been, don’t panic and keep your eye on the long game.
PS. These are just my thoughts, but if you are concerned, get some professional advice!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As I've said on other threads, I believe we have already had our first quarter towards recession, but given who is responsible for managing the British economy, it can hardly come as any surprise.

Just add it to the ever growing list :shrug:

*edit*

For [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION], I really wouldn't like to guess, but recession, soaring inflation, shooting yourself in both feet on International trade, hamstringing the NHS, care, hospitality, logistics, travel and various other industries combined with complete fiscal incompetence probably isn't the best of combinations.

Is this still being blamed on Covid? How do we compare with, oh, let's see, a basket of equivalent sized economies in, say, the EU?

Edit: I see [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] answered this above.

Dec 29, 2011
If you are youngish and have a relatively long term investment horizon, then you should probably be fine drip feeding your ‘hard earned’ into the markets over the next year or so, although there are no guarantees, of course!
As an oldie of almost 74, my time frames are probably shorter than yours, but my investments are skewed towards income, so I just take the dividends as part of my pension and try not to concern myself too much with the gyrations of the stock market. Volatility such as we are experiencing at the moment can be disconcerting, though, but the advice through the ages has generally been, don’t panic and keep your eye on the long game.
PS. These are just my thoughts, but if you are concerned, get some professional advice!

Gold is what I've started investing in, but steer clear of gold bars, go for British coins as they're exempt from capital gains tax.

Thank you for the advice. My time horizon is definitely long (30 years), I'd just like to get better value if possible. A 30% drop in the next year would in theory show a 30% better profit

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m quite tempted to say “I remember when this was all Project Fear” again but last time I did that some toys came out of some prams so I won’t

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m quite tempted to say “I remember when this was all Project Fear” again but last time I did that some toys came out of some prams so I won’t

So many predictions proving accurate. If anyone wants to sate their wonder about how the future will play out they should be directed to the Remainer posts on the Brexit thread?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What month do we officially hit recession when things don't pick up ?

I know it's 2 successive quarters of negative growth but what month is that ?

4 months time, I assume ?

So October ?

Johnson needs his general election before the recession becomes a fact, I reckon.

D

Deleted member 2719

I've read the whole thread and there are no suggestions about what to do about this. How do we grow the economy?

No ideas off the table?

One idea would be to get rid of the doomsters and gloomster.
Surely most of them must have had enough of the UK by now, since we democratically severed the link with those across the border.
I am sure they would love it in France.

Another idea would to be to stop the liberal sandal wearing teachers, from using school and colleges as ideology brain washing sessions.
Poor kids come out thinking they can solve the world by screaming, and gluing themselves to planes and tarmac.

Replace these with forward thinking positive and can do attitude mentors.

Summary:
1) Back the UK or do one
2) Ban super glue and beardos and weirdos.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Champagne, decent cheeses, steak which isn’t as tough as old boots….I could warm to that idea.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely most of them must have had enough of the UK by now, since we democratically severed the link with those across the border.

Another idea would to be to stop the liberal sandal wearing teachers, from using school and colleges as ideology brain washing sessions.
Poor kids come out thinking they can solve the world by screaming, and gluing themselves to planes and tarmac.

Summary:
1) Back the UK or do one

Growing an economy takes a bit more than just wishful thinking.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Summary:
1) Back the UK or do one

“So I went to the doctors and they say I need to lose weight or I’ll die, what should I do?”
“Well for a start, you have to ignore the doom and gloom people. Here, have a pie.”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Summary:
1) Back the UK or do one

I would love it in France but circumstances since 2016 have stopped that dead. I can’t do one, as you so eloquently put it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here