Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] UK Comedy Cup 2023 - Group Stage Round Up & R16 DRAW

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1701946934939.png

Well there you have it. Fawlty Towers, Father Ted & Blackadder all smashing their respective groups and looking like early front runners.

Not particularly surprised to see the Bottom 3 vote-gatherers as they are, relatively niche shows - I'm a big fan of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, but I'm fully aware that if it had qualified, it would've received the same treatment.

Talks of Groups C & D being Groups of Death didn't really materialise, whilst Group G ended up the real story of the round - the lowest first place and second place collectively votes wise, as The Fast Show & The Young Ones squeaked through, following a real fight from The Day Today & The IT Crowd.

So, onto the Round of 16 Draw;

1701947360674.png

Some tasty matchups there - I'm particularly intrigued by Match 3, Match 7 and Match 8. If I'm being honest I think Match 5 is the weakest and whoever wins is slightly lucky to make a Quarter Final, but hey - all just personal opinion.

Will set up the individual match threads over the coming days.

Last edited:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Match 4 should be the final

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If you're about 90 years old and haven't watched any telly since 1994.

At this point, comfortable progression is assured only for Father Ted and Blackadder.
Fawlty Towers will beat The Royle Family IMHO. If this was being held on, say, the Rochdale forum though the results might be very different. When I lived “oop north” for almost a decade, they were mad about that programme.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Well there you have it. Fawlty Towers, Father Ted & Blackadder all smashing their respective groups and looking like early front runners.

Not particularly surprised to see the Bottom 3 vote-gatherers as they are, relatively niche shows - I'm a big fan of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, but I'm fully aware that if it had qualified, it would've received the same treatment.

Talks of Groups C & D being Groups of Death didn't really materialise, whilst Group G ended up the real story of the round - the lowest first place and second place collectively votes wise, as The Fast Show & The Young Ones squeaked through, following a real fight from The Day Today & The IT Crowd.

So, onto the Round of 16 Draw;

Some tasty matchups there - I'm particularly intrigued by Match 3, Match 7 and Match 8. If I'm being honest I think Match 5 is the weakest and whoever wins is slightly lucky to make a Quarter Final, but hey - all just personal opinion.

Will set up the individual match threads over the coming days.
Original odds from first thread:

Spaced 40/1
Peep Show 12/1
The League of Gentlemen 16/1
Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights 20/1
The Royle Family 10/1
Early Doors 100/1
The Office 7/1
Fawlty Towers 3/1
Father Ted 5/1
The Young Ones 20/1

Drop The Dead Donkey 16/1
The Detectorists 25/1
This Country 40/1
The Fast Show 12/1
Breeders 25/1
Inside Number 9 33/1
Psychoville 66/1
The Inbetweeners 25/1
The Day Today 100/1
Nathan Barley 100/1
The IT Crowd 16/1
Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle 25/1
Not The 9 O'Clock News 14/1
Fleabag 33/1
Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em 40/1
Only Fools & Horses 5/1
Blackadder 8/1
I'm Alan Partridge 20/1

The Mighty Boosh 33/1
The Thick Of It 33/1
Red Dwarf 25/1
Porridge 10/1

So no surprises for the NSC bookies

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Some interesting ties there.

Match 1 - Fawlty Towers always gets far in these types of votes. No idea why, I think it's very overrated
Match 2 - Father Ted should walk it. I'm a fan of The Detectorists but it's never going to beat an out-and-out comedy.
Match 3 - Could be a tight one.
Match 4 - I'm fully expecting Blackadder to walk that.
Match 5 - I totally disagree about it being weak. It's probably the one I'll be most torn on.
Match 6 - The Armando Iannucci Derby. I expect Partridge to win but I'll be disappointed to see The Thick Of It drop out at this stage.
Match 7 - Could also be a tight one. I'm quite surprised how popular The Fast Show still is.
Match 8 - The Office for me CLIVE.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
NSC Bookies UPDATED odds:

Fawlty Towers 7/2
Father Ted 3/1
Blackadder 11/2
The Office 7/1
Only Fools & Horses 8/1
Not The 9 O'Clock News 14/1