Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] UEFA has threatened to disqualify England and Russia from Euro 2016

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No I have been following closely the over policing and attacks on England fans that go to drink at a tournament. Do we see this sort of thing at games in the UK? I have been to many Sunderland Newcastle matches and we hate each other but have never ever seen anything like yesterday, and there are a lot more fans at those games than were at the port yesterday

Fair enough, but shirley you'd agree that the very last thing the French security forces needed on top of the very real threat of a terrorist attack was having to deal with these muppets?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Is that the reason why there was seemingly zero security in and around the stadium itself? How else could the Russian fans get fireworks and flares into the ground, and how else could the Russian fans just wander across the divide between the different groups and attack the England supporters?

According to Tom they were too busy patrolling the 'massive' amount of our 'Fascist, Xenophobic Little Englanders'

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Same old story. Not saying we're angels, but UEFA always appear keen to be threatening or banning us whilst other nations seem to pretty much get away with anything.

Let's see what comes of the disciplinary proceedings against Russia. My guess is, not a lot.

Of course not. The Turkish, Italian supporters have been getting no domestic punishment for years, just the English.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Diverting valuable police resources away from the clear and present danger of a terrorist attack over the course of three days?

:lolol:

As opposed to Scotland who have done everything necessary to assist the police with their endeavours.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
They kick us out there will be a lot of very angry people pissed at yet another European organisation.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We're playing Wales on Thursday in Lens, when loads of people are going to be staying in or travelling into Lille the day before and the day of the game and who's playing in Lille Wednesday night but..................Russia against Slovakia.

I trust UEFA wont hesitate to compensate the various global TV broadcasters if they kick out England and Russia as well though.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
They kick us out there will be a lot of very angry people pissed at yet another European organisation.

Great to see how one of our EU allies deals with its security whilst still in a supposed state of emergency :facepalm:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Am I right in thinking that the biggest ever fine imposed by UEFA is still that given to The FA for the trouble at England v Turkey in Sunderland in 2003?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Is that the reason why there was seemingly zero security in and around the stadium itself? How else could the Russian fans get fireworks and flares into the ground, and how else could the Russian fans just wander across the divide between the different groups and attack the England supporters?

Agree with you on the security in terms of fireworks etc getting in - very worrying given the circumstances under which this tournament is being staged.

However the segregation thing - I'm not sure how possible it is to effectively segregate fans at these tournaments due to the way tickets are sold and distributed - as by far the majority aren't bought through the relevant football associations. I've only ever been to one major finals match (Ireland v Croatia in Poznan 2012), but in that instance, whilst there were clearly 2 sections "belonging" to each nations fans, there was no dividing lines and 80% of the stadium was mixed. I think there is (and needs to be) a level of reliance that the atmosphere of 2 sets of national fans meeting in a finals match on neutral ground is different to a domestic club match or even a qualifier.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agree with you on the security in terms of fireworks etc getting in - very worrying given the circumstances under which this tournament is being staged.

However the segregation thing - I'm not sure how possible it is to effectively segregate fans at these tournaments due to the way tickets are sold and distributed - as by far the majority aren't bought through the relevant football associations. I've only ever been to one major finals match (Ireland v Croatia in Poznan 2012), but in that instance, whilst there were clearly 2 sections "belonging" to each nations fans, there was no dividing lines and 80% of the stadium was mixed. I think there is (and needs to be) a level of reliance that the atmosphere of 2 sets of national fans meeting in a finals match on neutral ground is different to a domestic club match or even a qualifier.

Maybe they could have employed some well trained stewards & police to inhabit the dividing area? According to those who were there, there was no-one there to stop anything,

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Maybe they could have employed some well trained stewards & police to inhabit the dividing area? According to those who were there, there was no-one there to stop anything,

That's my point though - to what extent WAS there a "dividing area"? Over half the tickets for each match are bought in advance or directly from tournament organisers, and there's no specified "home/away" ends. I appreciate there was some sort of line that was crossed by the Russian fans (physically, not figuratively), but there were probably hundreds of these fault lines around the stadium.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Looks like they have more against Russia than us at the mo, but if these scenes continue, I won't complain if they kick us out.

Charges against the Russian FA are based on what happened in the stadium last night. Uefa has no jurisdiction of the events that occurred in Marseille. They had to issue a strong statement after what has happened these last few days. When our lot misbehave it's generally drunken loutishness (not condoning it btw) and perhaps a more inclusive policing approach might have quelled the aggression before Saturday. But the Russians' display of violence yesterday, which is prevalent in their domestic leagues, was a depressing nadir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here