Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber, another company sucking money out of the UK.

Its a disgrace that black cabs exist.

They put out of business the old coach horses which employed thousands of British workers so the money went to both the driver the coach maker the farmer that looked after the horses and their stable hands a whole business put out of business by the technology of the automobile.

or we could just realise that technology changes the world and that brings opportunities for new entrepreneurs and business models that maybe didn't previously exist.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If ever I need reminding that people in brighton and Sussex are not generally natural labour voters, and those that do claim to be, have very loosely held convictions tha don't stand up to the flimsiest of stress tests when it affects their pocket directly, then a thread like this tends to pop up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
More to the point, why were they put on in the first place.

Because they were a fun and inexpensive way to get around the centre of Brighton. The misery guts that were the local taxi firms, B&HCC and the Traffic Commissioner couldn't have people enjoying their journeys so banned them.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
For those interested in some background reading on the challenges facing black cabs I'd recommend reading this:

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/fare-trade-breaking-down-londons-taxi-debate/

As one astute commenter put it: "A fascinating account not just on the transport issues but on the very way technology forces society to make difficult decisions. It also poses fundamental questions such as whether we need Black Cabs at all."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because they were a fun and inexpensive way to get around the centre of Brighton. The misery guts that were the local taxi firms, B&HCC and the Traffic Commissioner couldn't have people enjoying their journeys so banned them.

Agree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It will be a shame if the black cab industry dies as black cab drivers are a useful alternative to NSC when you need unsolicited and ill-informed opinion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It will be a shame if the black cab industry dies as black cab drivers are a useful alternative to NSC when you need unsolicited and ill-informed opinion.

"You'll never guess who I had in the back of my thread the other week..."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is clearly a handy App but it should be licensed out to Taxi firms rather than competing against them.

you mean like Hailo. i not sure there's anything to stop a black cab signing up, except undercutting their normal prices?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
you mean like Hailo. i not sure there's anything to stop a black cab signing up, except undercutting their normal prices?

Yep, something like Hailo though I haven't heard of it until now. I haven't had the need to use Uber but I am cynical of anything with a Google connection and the way they try to track and second guess us.

I remember the days when Google scare mongered and accused Microsoft of potential world domination. I am sure there is some irony in this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here