Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

twenty years ago

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes we were. One of our players, who was the brother of someone more famous, got 3. We got to 3-3, then wnt 3-4 down, then equalized :rock:

Paul Emblem, if I remember correctly? In about 15 minutes.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am in a tiny TINY minority of people who experience-wise actually preferred Gillingham to Withdean. Terraces for a start, plus we could decide on the day to attend. If we were going our Saturdays followed a set pattern:we'd drive to Orpington (where my wife's from) and have lunch with her parents. Then I'd take the children and my father-in-law to Priestfield whilst my wife spent the afternoon with her mum. We'd then come back, cold and depressed, to be cheered up with a pot of tea, a plate of sandwiches and a roaring fire.We'd often stay the night as well so I didn't have to drive all the way home. From a family point of view they were actually great days!

The football was almost always shit though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Paul Emblem, if I remember correctly? In about 15 minutes.

That's the man. Probably the highlight of his career. His brother was Neil (and, for pedants, everwhre, it is Emblen). :cheers:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am in a tiny TINY minority of people who experience-wise actually preferred Gillingham to Withdean. Terraces for a start, plus we could decide on the day to attend. If we were going our Saturdays followed a set pattern:we'd drive to Orpington (where my wife's from) and have lunch with her parents. Then I'd take the children and my father-in-law to Priestfield whilst my wife spent the afternoon with her mum. We'd then come back, cold and depressed, to be cheered up with a pot of tea, a plate of sandwiches and a roaring fire.We'd often stay the night as well so I didn't have to drive all the way home. From a family point of view they were actually great days!

The football was almost always shit though.

Oh, I preferred the Gillingham matchday experience hugely, and for similarish reasons. P'filled is only 25 minute's drive from where I live. And the internet had just got going (the Mailing List being my first port of call) so despite the shit football, things were exciting. By comparison, a 75 minute drive to and from Withdean, with the lack of roof leaving me soaking wet, was never a pleasure (albeit I had a season ticket at Withdean for years, till flouncing after some people sitting near me started getting me down). But for the majority, Withdean was 'home' of sorts. Nearer to home, anyway, and psychologically this was a good thing.

There are many reasons why I loved the Gillingam years in the end, after the grim start, but this was mostly about rekindling my love for the Albion, having hardly watched them since the late 70s, and meeting loads of great people via the Mailing List, many of whom I still see from time to time (Bozza, Dick Knight's Mum, Jim in the West, Bwian, Inkerman, Bob, and various other NSCers I can't name because they have wisely kept their identity private).

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
I was at the palace friendly and got interviewed by the argus where i made the comment "This stand looks like a cowshed" that was used as a sub headline tag line on Mondays paper that featured 2 photos of me.i also recall it was very hot and I was very hungover that day.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Not there myself ..but twenty years ago reminds me one of my favourites. It was twenty years ago today / Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play !!!

Although it was actually 1967 so fifty years ago !!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh, I preferred the Gillingham matchday experience hugely, and for similarish reasons. P'filled is only 25 minute's drive from where I live. And the internet had just got going (the Mailing List being my first port of call) so despite the shit football, things were exciting. By comparison, a 75 minute drive to and from Withdean, with the lack of roof leaving me soaking wet, was never a pleasure (albeit I had a season ticket at Withdean for years, till flouncing after some people sitting near me started getting me down). But for the majority, Withdean was 'home' of sorts. Nearer to home, anyway, and psychologically this was a good thing.

There are many reasons why I loved the Gillingam years in the end, after the grim start, but this was mostly about rekindling my love for the Albion, having hardly watched them since the late 70s, and meeting loads of great people via the Mailing List, many of whom I still see from time to time (Bozza, Dick Knight's Mum, Jim in the West, Bwian, Inkerman, Bob, and various other NSCers I can't name because they have wisely kept their identity private).

I'm glad I'm not alone! Yeah, the funny thing about Gillingham was although we were in exile, after the War Years the club felt like it was 'ours' again: we could concentrate on the football and our enemies were no longer internal. Strangely for me Gillingham felt more of a home than the Goldstone did in the Archer years as it was nice to go to games as just a fan again rather than as a BISA footsoldier ready for the next protest.

Of course the Withdean and Falmer campaigns were to come, but at least we were all on the same side, and I knew that things would improve - although Premier League football at a fantastic new stadium wasn't even something I dared to dream about whilst standing with a few other hardy souls in the cold at Priestfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here