Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] TV wall mounting

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We need a diy section for those with soft hands.

Some of you make me laugh paying someone to hang a bracket on the wall good god

I'm in, I'm the polar opposite of my dad (RIP) who could turn his hand to just about anything practical (he built an extension on one of our houses, and a conservatory and additional bathroom on another). Me ? I ****ed up putting up a curtain rail (concrete lintel above the window, who knew ?). Clueless (and expensively dangerous sometimes).

Tentatively getting braver and trying to learn now I have more time on my hands (think a lot of my failures stemmed from rushing, and/or using the wrong tools) but still shite.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
In actual fact (If you have the tools) it quite literally is.

I think ours was 4 holes, 4 rawl plugs and 4 screws. Aided and abetted by brick walls

We have plasterboard but I have hung up some really heavy things (including a 32" TV on a swing arm) on a stud wall using Rawlpug Uno fixings. They're really good - 4x 8mm blue plugs will easily hold a 55" TV.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
We need a diy section for those with soft hands.

Some of you make me laugh paying someone to hang a bracket on the wall good god

Sometimes the job isn't as simple as you might think and getting a professional to do it makes sense.

Sometimes it's more expensive to go out and buy the required tools than it is to pay someone who already has the tools.

Let's not make assumptions.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sometimes it's more expensive to go out and buy the required tools than it is to pay someone who already has the tools.

I kind of see the opposite of this, every time I don't use a pro, I can buy myself a nice new shiny toy :) Seriously though, most of the normal tools are < £100 for decent models, especially if you stick to the same battery type. It does start to pay off.....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm in, I'm the polar opposite of my dad (RIP) who could turn his hand to just about anything practical (he built an extension on one of our houses, and a conservatory and additional bathroom on another). Me ? I ****ed up putting up a curtain rail (concrete lintel above the window, who knew ?). Clueless (and expensively dangerous sometimes).

Tentatively getting braver and trying to learn now I have more time on my hands (think a lot of my failures stemmed from rushing, and/or using the wrong tools) but still shite.

old, but still relevant and extremely useful

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374090045679?hash=item57198118ef:g:QvYAAOSwXwBiUs5B

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I kind of see the opposite of this, every time I don't use a pro, I can buy myself a nice new shiny toy :) Seriously though, most of the normal tools are < £100 for decent models, especially if you stick to the same battery type. It does start to pay off.....

I have a makita hammer drill, inherited from my late father in 2004, still going strong, its taken some serious abuse over the years. There's not much I haven't tackled and have most tools now.

I sold my milling machine and the cement mixer died, but most things ;-)

tools have been dirt cheap for years, so it is a viable option,

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Yeah, I would generally agree with you. But I also had a pro do my TV mount for me, although their were additional circumstances around it that made it the best route to go:

1. Already had the man in fitting new cupboards beneath where the TV was going, so no call out fee.

2. The wall we wanted the TV on doesn't have any battens in the cavity space to use as a solid mount. We had to buy some seriously strong / long plugs and bolts so the fittings could be attached to the solid wall behind the cavity while still providing the required strength. No way known I was going to be doing that myself, even if I'd bought the tools to do it - too much risk if it went wrong.

Jul 7, 2003

I'm the same - my Dad started out as an electrician before working at Beechams and was always very handy.

With DIY there are those that are good at it and those who enjoy it. I fit into neither category and don't have the patience for it either. I now work on the principle that it is usually cheaper to bring in a professional to do the job first time than to pay extra for them to also fix my bungled attempts.

We need to keep these trades alive so I am doing my bit to help:smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm the same - my Dad started out as an electrician before working at Beechams and was always very handy.

With DIY there are those that are good at it and those who enjoy it. I fit into neither category and don't have the patience for it either. I now work on the principle that it is usually cheaper to bring in a professional to do the job first time than to pay extra for them to also fix my bungled attempts.

We need to keep these trades alive so I am doing my bit to help:smile:

Nail on head (and in thumb, and in wrong place in wood, and probably the wrong type of nail hit with the wrong type of hammer)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mount it low rather than high, ideally your eyes should be level and you shouldn’t be tilting your head back or looking up.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I had a chap put my 42" plasma TV up on the wall a number of years ago. Not a job I would have wanted to do myself ... but then plasma TVs are much heavier than more modern OLED TVs.

But over time I realised I just didn't like looking up ... even though it was only slightly. I'm sure it gave me neck ache!

Bought a new bigger OLED TV 18 months ago and took that as the opportunity to do away with the wall bracket ... fill the holes in ... and the TV is now on a decent wooden unit at the perfect height!

It can quite happily be hung on the wall (and here's the revelation....) at a lower height.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
It can quite happily be hung on the wall (and here's the revelation....) at a lower height.

Wow … never thought of that. What a revelation! The reason I had my old plasma put on the wall was to create space on the unit below - the unit my OLED TV now sits on.

So the TV had to be higher! And I decided I didn’t like it that way.

Most wall mounted TVs I’ve seen have been higher than just sitting on a unit. It’s like it became a fad to have your TV on a wall like in a pub.

EDIT: ... so just to add ... the whole point of my post was to make people think before just deciding to put their TV on the wall ... because it seems a cool thing to do. Look at where it's going and what height you'd need it given what might be underneath etc. I was just trying to be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
2. The wall we wanted the TV on doesn't have any battens in the cavity space to use as a solid mount. We had to buy some seriously strong / long plugs and bolts so the fittings could be attached to the solid wall behind the cavity while still providing the required strength. No way known I was going to be doing that myself, even if I'd bought the tools to do it - too much risk if it went wrong.

That's how my plasma TV had to be fitted to our wall. When I eventually took the bracket down, I couldn't believe how big/long the wall plugs and bolts were! I think next door were hanging pictures on them as I'm sure they must have gone all the way through :lolol:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Done and dusted within 18 hours. TV bought last night and arrived this morning. Got a few quotes and after a few review checks opted for TAS aerials who mounted it in under and hour for £200.

TV is in the kitchen/dinner and I wanted it quite high. It’s level when standing and it’s simply there to have the news on at breakfast and the footie on when entertaining.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Unless you sit bolt upright to watch tv (who does?) The natural lean back in to the settee lifts your eyeline upwards, so in many cases looking upwards is quite natural as you might in a cinema.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Unless you sit bolt upright to watch tv (who does?) The natural lean back in to the settee lifts your eyeline upwards, so in many cases looking upwards is quite natural as you might in a cinema.

True, but ideally your eyes should be level with the middle of the screen. It’s not for everyone, but it’s the ergonomically recommended way.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Wow … never thought of that. What a revelation! The reason I had my old plasma put on the wall was to create space on the unit below - the unit my OLED TV now sits on.

So the TV had to be higher! And I decided I didn’t like it that way.

Most wall mounted TVs I’ve seen have been higher than just sitting on a unit. It’s like it became a fad to have your TV on a wall like in a pub.

EDIT: ... so just to add ... the whole point of my post was to make people think before just deciding to put their TV on the wall ... because it seems a cool thing to so. Look at where it's going and what height you'd need it given what might be underneath etc. I was just trying to be helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise words. It may be fashionable but is it practical? I've known two people take them back down after having neck ache. You also need to plan ahead regards sky boxes etc and cables. All very slick on the wall but often ruined by messy wires

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Wise words. It may be fashionable but is it practical? I've known two people take them back down after having neck ache. You also need to plan ahead regards sky boxes etc and cables. All very slick on the wall but often ruined by messy wires

Exactly ... I was certainly getting neck ache.

All my cables were nicely hidden ... and then an HDMI cable failed!! So always a good idea to put an extra one in ... just in case!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here