TV Comedy phrases you use in real life

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
And it's partner "The boys are back in the barracks" when adjusting crotch.

Currently using this quite a lot with my 3 year old son, as he doesn't seem to quite understand the "tidying" nature of the pant. I see my wife silently cringe every time worried that he's slowly becoming a mini-Partridge.

As well as the previously quoted "Not my words, the words of Top Gear magazine" and "Yes, it's an extender". Also a big fan of "Lexi" and "Japanese Mercedes".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Currently using this quite a lot with my 3 year old son, as he doesn't seem to quite understand the "tidying" nature of the pant. I see my wife silently cringe every time worried that he's slowly becoming a mini-Partridge.

As well as the previously quoted "Not my words, the words of Top Gear magazine" and "Yes, it's an extender". Also a big fan of "Lexi" and "Japanese Mercedes".

Turning your child into a mini-Partridge is great fun. I've got mine to ask "Can I have Alan's Deep Bath?" when they want lots of water and bubbles.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's hotter than the sun

Smell my cheese (pretty much every time someone mentions cheese)

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
A few from the brilliant Billy Birmingham's '12th man'.......

'.......The cream, the bone, the off white, the white, the ivory or the beige' - in a Richie Benaud accent
'.......You can't do that! not even here in Bombay' - in a Richie Benaud accent
'.......I don't hold a grudge. To me, a grudge is a place to park your car!' - in a Tony Grieg accent
'.......we're gonna work as a team, and do it my way' - in a Richie Benaud accent

And if a situation ever arises where anyone enquiries .....'how's that?' - 'Not out!' .......Is my reply.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Same. Ridiculous amount of Partridge makes it into my conversation. One of the easiest to use is 'Lovely stuff' and I'm very proud that some of my friends now use it, having never heard it in it's original context.

I find myself saying 'splendid and tremendous' on a regular basis at work.

Every time someone is not in due to illness if someone asks 'are they ok?' I do like to say 'well they're not dead. Unless of course they passed away in the night and are yet to be discovered'.

I am a very dull man.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
A sarcastic "Brilliant", ".... Friend" and "... Wankers" from the Inbetweeners all get regular use.

Numerous OFAH phrases are also used on a regular basis - in fact only last night did the Missus phone home and advise that "I am on the car phone" to which I had to reply with the obligatory "..... we dont have a car phone"

Also my son and I sometimes advise that we have to "do a toilet" (from Paul - admittedly a film rather than a TV prog)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Cushty, and Lubbly Jubbly - del Boy - both seem to have passed in to common usage.

I find myself saying "charmless nurk", a la fletch from Porridge - quite often.

And to go back a few years - By the Cringe - from the Likely lads.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
and "You'll have to sew them back on first"

Oh, happy. Yes, I remember that. No, not that I noticed, dear. Well, I'll report it
and
No, just my way of getting through the day, dear. The, uh, Samaritans were engaged.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Too many to share all of them (it appears I'm incapable of original thought):

"So, what's occurring?"
"Tidy"
"Bus w**kers!"
"But these go to eleven"
"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel"
"What did you expect, herds of wilderbeast sweeping majestically across the plain?"
"I don't care how f**king runny it is"
"If she was dinosaur she'd be a babeasaurus"
"Schwing"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Whenever I go to sit in a pub or restaurant I usually say, sometimes just to myself, always in a slightly affected drunken voice: "Alright here?"

From Withnail of course.

Often when walking in to a pub with a certain group of friends one of us would say "I demand to have some booze!"

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh, happy. Yes, I remember that. No, not that I noticed, dear. Well, I'll report it
and
No, just my way of getting through the day, dear. The, uh, Samaritans were engaged.

A rich vein indeed...

"Black!? Churchill wasn't black!"

"Maybe you'd better lie down, before something else happens"

".... there was a lot of bloodshed at the Nell Gwyn tea-rooms"

and

The very underrated character Peter Mannion from the "Thick of It" delivered this, worthy of Basil - "must go dear, the bailiffs have arrived to take away my will to live".

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I greet any vaguely spicy food in a restaurant with the phrase "Jesus, that's hotter than the sun!" Came from Alan Partridge eating something cooked in the microwave in his Geordie mate's garage shop. Still makes me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports