Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trump

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
I think people confuse social media with journalism, and the two are not the same.

Mind you, from what I've seen of journalism in the States it makes the UK equivalent seem rather sedate in comparison. I still find it astonishing that a lie is allowed to be presented as an "opinion" under free speech, which is then in turn inferred to be a FACT (sorry, couldn't help myself :D).

No wonder people are confused about what they can trust.

Who gets to adjudicate what is a lie, what is an opinion and what is a fact? If you've got teenagers, you'll understand that legacy media doesn't exist. Journalism (whether you like it or not) has gravitated to social media because needs must. We're clearly all consumers in a manipulated game that keep us clicking and angry.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Who gets to adjudicate what is a lie, what is an opinion and what is a fact?

None of those things require adjudication as you well know. For instance I'm sure you can very quickly work out which of the following statements are lies, facts and opinions without help from a third party.

"An orange is one of those green fruits that grow on apple trees."

"Wimpy is a fantastic fast-food chain."

"Brighton and Hove Albion are a Premier League football team."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think people confuse social media with journalism, and the two are not the same.

Mind you, from what I've seen of journalism in the States it makes the UK equivalent seem rather sedate in comparison. I still find it astonishing that a lie is allowed to be presented as an "opinion" under free speech, which is then in turn inferred to be a FACT (sorry, couldn't help myself :D).

No wonder people are confused about what they can trust.

We ended up in the ironic situation where Fox news presenters were messaging The Trump in order to get him to call off the protests on Jan 6 once they saw how out of hand things had got..... Its almost like they wanted to stoke a news story to get maximum coverage then bottled it when they saw the genie was out of the bottle.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
We ended up in the ironic situation where Fox news presenters were messaging The Trump in order to get him to call off the protests on Jan 6 once they saw how out of hand things had got..... Its almost like they wanted to stoke a news story to get maximum coverage then bottled it when they saw the genie was out of the bottle.

They have huge influence in the US and now have a responsibility to address what they have created.

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
None of those things require adjudication as you well know. For instance I'm sure you can very quickly work out which of the following statements are lies, facts and opinions without help from a third party.

"An orange is one of those green fruits that grow on apple trees."

"Wimpy is a fantastic fast-food chain."

"Brighton and Hove Albion are a Premier League football team."

Kyle Rittenhouse was a racist murderer
Kyle Rittenhouse was protecting property and used self-defence to protect himself
Kyle Rittenhouse should never have been prosecuted

Good luck with consensus on that one as you well know.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Who gets to adjudicate what is a lie, what is an opinion and what is a fact? If you've got teenagers, you'll understand that legacy media doesn't exist. Journalism (whether you like it or not) has gravitated to social media because needs must. We're clearly all consumers in a manipulated game that keep us clicking and angry.

Nah, we're still hanging out with reality this side of the pond.

Just.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
People are still fooled by him?

My smart money is on him winning the next election but being cheated out of by the deep state forging postal votes in a takeaway pizza restaurant while waiting for their order of 12 inch deep crust Texan with extra cheese.

With Hilary on the side orders.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hysterical much? US impact on global climate has steadily improved and will continue to improve regardless of who is in the WH. Maybe focus on China, India, Brazil if you're interested in facts?

As far as democracy goes, the point of democracy (I believe) is to let the electorate fairly choose their leaders. Because you and Hilary might not like their decisions isn't the end of democracy.

Biden has been an utter disaster. Don't take my word for it. Easy to Google opinion polls. When you alienate great swathes of normal citizens, you kind of get what you ask for. Take a look at the stats around people permanently leaving states like New York, New Jersey, Illinois and California, heading for Florida and Texas. That is the purest form of democracy. Don't like how you're being governed, move to a place that your values align.

After much silence, you've suddenly become verbose and persistent.
The post that broke your silence was Trump's truth development. That's laughable.
I've spent too long arguing politics and economics on here but, a word of advice, it's you and the fairy on this one, and that's bad company. Beyond that, you'll just generate hostility on here. So if you really feel that you've got some persuading to do, you've got a more willing audience closer to home. What is it: c60% of Republicans believe the 'steal' lie? They're desperate for your medicine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Most certainly, as long as the right is equally applied. Free speech should be at the very core of democracy. Unfortunately, in terms of social media and historical media, that right isn't equally applied. Those double standards pose a grave threat.

reminder that free speech is free from the state control and intervention. media companies are free to select what they please to publish or broadcast on their platforms. if you dont like it, you are free to setup an alternative platform.

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
After much silence, you've suddenly become verbose and persistent.
The post that broke your silence was Trump's truth development. That's laughable.
I've spent too long arguing politics and economics on here but, a word of advice, it's you and the fairy on this one, and that's bad company. Beyond that, you'll just generate hostility on here. So if you really feel that you've got some persuading to do, you've got a more willing audience closer to home. What is it: c60% of Republicans believe the 'steal' lie? They're desperate for your medicine.

Sorry to correct you, but the post that caused me to respond pertained to a world at risk from climate change as a result of the potential for Trump returning to the WH. Coincidentally and sincerely, I hope he does not, but that's irrelevant. Facts are, the US performance on emissions has been improving for years and will continue to improve into the future. No mention of China, Russia, India blasting the environment for decades to come. You can bash the orange one all you like, but please let's try to inject a few facts. It's quite stunning that Trump leads Biden by 5% in head to head polls right now. More to do with Biden than Trump. Why hostility? It's a thread titled Trump. It's on topic and a point of view. Can someone have a point of view without hostility? Its ironic that a few on here believe Truth Social will be the ultimate echo chamber. A thread that apparently only allows criticism seems very echoish.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
reminder that free speech is free from the state control and intervention. media companies are free to select what they please to publish or broadcast on their platforms. if you dont like it, you are free to setup an alternative platform.

Most states also censor and intervene so essentially there is no free speech. Similar to the thing from the United Nations - "All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights"... nice words. Means nothing.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Sorry to correct you, but the post that caused me to respond pertained to a world at risk from climate change as a result of the potential for Trump returning to the WH. Coincidentally and sincerely, I hope he does not, but that's irrelevant. Facts are, the US performance on emissions has been improving for years and will continue to improve into the future. No mention of China, Russia, India blasting the environment for decades to come. You can bash the orange one all you like, but please let's try to inject a few facts. It's quite stunning that Trump leads Biden by 5% in head to head polls right now. More to do with Biden than Trump. Why hostility? It's a thread titled Trump. It's on topic and a point of view. Can someone have a point of view without hostility? Its ironic that a few on here believe Truth Social will be the ultimate echo chamber. A thread that apparently only allows criticism seems very echoish.

It's not stunning at all. It's absolutely par for the course a year into any new US presidency. Also par for the course that the GQP will make gains in the mid-terms. They are still racist, misogynistic fascists who planned and attempted to execute a coup d'etat.

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL

Then it isn't really journalism is it. If a so called news outlet refused to cover a story about Hunter Biden's laptop, then you're actively aiding one political party over the other. The world desperately needs real journalism. We all benefit from media who support Snowden, Assange, Manning, O'Keefe. If the media gets too cozy with politicians, we're all in trouble. If the new town squares (TW, FB, YB) de-platform important voices (most recently Dr. Robert Malone who co-invented mRNA technology) then the consequences are serious for free speech and for democracy. Yes, everyone is free to setup an alternative and that's happening thankfully. But echo chambers deepen division. Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civilized manner? What happened to being able to debate and share conflicting points of view? Isn't that worth fighting for?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Most certainly, as long as the right is equally applied. Free speech should be at the very core of democracy. Unfortunately, in terms of social media and historical media, that right isn't equally applied. Those double standards pose a grave threat.
Could you be more specific to what you are alluding to here?

Is someone lacking a platform for their ideas?

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Kyle Rittenhouse was a racist murderer
Kyle Rittenhouse was protecting property and used self-defence to protect himself
Kyle Rittenhouse should never have been prosecuted

Good luck with consensus on that one as you well know.

A consensus on what, which opinion is the most opiniony?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here