Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trossard for the penalty yesterday

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That flick yesterday was absolutely stunning. He still tends to drift in and out of games (more often in than out these days) and was just about to be replaced by Mitoma seconds before he did that yesterday.

But when he is on it, I don't think I have seen a better 'close skills' player in all the years I have been watching the Albion :thumbsup:

Graeme Smith or Locadia?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My understanding is you can throw punch kick a player to the ground off the field of play, it’s not a foul but you can get booked ie punch ups in the tunnel but it will not result in the awarding of a free kick or penalty

Only if the ball in play........Law 12.4

If, when the ball is in play:

a player commits an offence against a match official or an opposing player, substitute, substituted or sent-off player, or team official outside the field of play or a substitute, substituted or sent-off player, or team official commits an offence against, or interferes with, an opposing player or a match official outside the field of play, play is restarted with a free kick on the boundary line nearest to where the offence/interference occurred; for direct free kick offences, a penalty kick is awarded if this is a direct free kick offence within the offender's penalty area

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
My understanding is you can throw punch kick a player to the ground off the field of play, it’s not a foul but you can get booked ie punch ups in the tunnel but it will not result in the awarding of a free kick or penalty

I thought you had to get permission to leave the field of play, apart from throw ins and corners, after the final whistle and of course talking to Pep and having a drink in a break of play, so apparently you can drag a player off the field and give him a lamping!!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes.

(I only know this because I thought the same at the time and asked [MENTION=13022]Kuipers Supporters Club[/MENTION] who, as a qualified ref, was able to inform me that if a foul takes place outside the pitch, a free-kick - or in this case a penalty - is given on the pitch adjacent to the offence.)

Yet Law 12 of the game of football appears to indicate if a foul is committed outside of the field of play, then it should be an indirect free kick, taking place on the touchline adjacent to where the offence was committed.

If a referee was to be really pedantic then he could technically have booked Trossard for leaving the field of play - would have liked to see how what one would have panned out with VAR.

Fortunately Trossard had the sense to hit the deck ON the pitch!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Forget the top class subtle tap past the defender, forget Ali Macks powerful net breaking penalty, no watch as March goes up to kick the now dead ball back over the line. He slips and falls over. Hilarious but seen no video luckily for him.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ndidi's ego got the better of him .... not allowing Trossard's sublime skill 'to win', so suckered into bringing him down.

Capping a 0/10 performance by Ndidi ... MOTD2 picked on him in their analysis.

Ndidi seemed incredibly angry at Tross for that sublime piece of skill. It was like he trying to catch him to throttle him afterwards.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Contract until 2024 (well, 2023 technically but the club has an option) and in Belgian media his agent said they're looking to extend it.

He's 28 in December and clubs usually want to buy younger players than that - unless he has a top class World Cup I don't think too many too good clubs are into him.

I think the chances that Trossard is still in Brighton in three years are a lot better than Ali Mac, Caicedo or other talented key players being around in that time.

considering what someone of Trossards quality would cost in the open market, to offer him another long term contract is a no brainer.

Just wages, no fee for a player who we know is excellent. conistent and very versatile. Sing him up!

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Contract until 2024 (well, 2023 technically but the club has an option) and in Belgian media his agent said they're looking to extend it.

He's 28 in December and clubs usually want to buy younger players than that - unless he has a top class World Cup I don't think too many too good clubs are into him.

I think the chances that Trossard is still in Brighton in three years are a lot better than Ali Mac, Caicedo or other talented key players being around in that time.

He may well be 28 but he looks 12

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There's an incredibly deft little flick with his other foot as he goes past Ndidi....missed it in real time but it's fantastic. Also impressed with how he was able to basically outmuscle the lumbering Leicester clogger - he wouldn't have been capable of that when he first arrived.

Really good point.

There is no doubt in my mind that the coaching team have improved him. Very strong.

Consistency wise, he has improved no end, and rarely has a below average game.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Really good point.

There is no doubt in my mind that the coaching team have improved him. Very strong.

Consistency wise, he has improved no end, and rarely has a below average game.

Agree. Previously when he went missing, he really went missing.. contributed nothing. These days if he has a bad day, it just means he is as involved as the average player.

In all of the GP years, there is a very strong relation between Trossard being good and Brighton ending up with 3 points.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I thought you had to get permission to leave the field of play, apart from throw ins and corners, after the final whistle and of course talking to Pep and having a drink in a break of play, so apparently you can drag a player off the field and give him a lamping!!

Heard this morning about a goalkeeper sent off this weekend in the fa cup preliminaries for leaving the field of play at a quiet moment to have a piss in a bush😀😀

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Heard this morning about a goalkeeper sent off this weekend in the fa cup preliminaries for leaving the field of play at a quiet moment to have a piss in a bush😀😀

A quiet moment - ball went out for a goal-kick apparently. Not sure whether he was meant to be taking it, or it was up the other end!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
considering what someone of Trossards quality would cost in the open market, to offer him another long term contract is a no brainer.

Just wages, no fee for a player who we know is excellent. conistent and very versatile. Sing him up!

I would be stunned if we hadn't already offered him a deal which would make him our highest (or one of our highest) wage earners.

He's wisely not signing as he knows that West Ham or Villa or someone will add another 50% on top of that without even thinking about it

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
But would it have been a pen...or a what??

I don't think the ref would have given it because it looks like Tross wouldn't have got to the ball and lost control. Ndidi was odds on to get it and I'm sure Tross thought that, as he's off the pitch, it brings a doubt in. In the box, no doubt.

And even if he'd gone down outside of the field of play and the ref gave it, VAR would have overruled it (got the ref to relook at it).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Trossard 2.jpg

I have created a gif but the video element won't upload

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports