Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Treadmills

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
I am looking to buy a decent treadmill for home use....something durable and substantial. I've just looked on Amazon.....so many there...but would prefer to try one or two on site (ie,in shop or showroom) before purchase,as the process of delivery,installation and then repackaging and removal for returning would be arduous and difficult,and unnecessary. So,looking to try out in a showroom somewhere prior to purchase. Anyone know of such a place near Brighton where these machines are available,and also of any good workhorse brands?

Thanx in advance.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Shame - on here last month I mentioned that I had one to get rid of. I paid top whack for it (about £1,300 a few years ago) and was about the best one I could get that wasn't "gym" standard. I did loads of miles on it, but can no longer run so gave it away for free. Sorry.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Or, save some money now and just buy a clothes rail which is what you'll be using it for in a month or two.

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Not very helpful I know but why do you want one if you don't mind me asking?

Running can be a boring activity, I get bored after 5 mins on a treadmill especially with a clock to stare at. It is infinitely more interesting to run outside, the time goes a lot quicker, you get some fresh air, scenery to look at, it's never that cold in Brighton and you're warm after about 5 minutes anyway.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not very helpful I know but why do you want one if you don't mind me asking?

Running can be a boring activity, I get bored after 5 mins on a treadmill especially with a clock to stare at. It is infinitely more interesting to run outside, the time goes a lot quicker, you get some fresh air, scenery to look at, it's never that cold in Brighton and you're warm after about 5 minutes anyway.

Is the correct answer.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Thanks for the heads-up re JJB....I dragged my carcass up to the Goldstone today inspite of the filthy weather,and was pleasantly surprised at the offerings there......

Half a dozen chunky treadmills upstairs,and a similar number of exercise bikes too (I also needed to replace a shite bike I bought for fifty quid from Argos a few years ago. In the world of fitness equipment,cheap isnt good,and good isnt cheap).

So,all is well....a dreadmill with enough bells and whistles to impress my kids and an exercise bike with a similar profusion of pre-sets,heart monitoring and semi-sophisticated programming options to satisfy all my requirements.Not much change from a grand,but it was never about money anyway.

As to why...well,a couple of particular reasons in play....last year,after a lifetime of excess and debauched behaviour,and a belief I was blessed with eternal good health and virtual immortality I found I had a coronary artery problem....a severe blockage in two vital arteries which if not dealt with would have seen me expire about thirty days later. So,a fistfull of stents were popped in to give me another thirty years on this spinning planet. Exercise now plays a vital role in my life,and as I have an aversion to gymnasiums and fitness clubs,something domestic was in order.And my two teenage daughters will make use of it too...one has just cancelled her gym membership as she was being perved over by a few letcherous creatures who equate going to the gym with intimidating teenage girls,so three of us will use it,not one.

For stamina,I nightly trecked up Brightons hills,but recently was advised that going up was brilliant from a cardio vascular and endurance pov,but coming down was detrimental for knee joints.A treadmill with different elevation settings gives me the benefit of the climb without the danger of the descent.

And I've just had a varicose vein operation.....exercise is the key for recovery here,particularly cycling (hence another exercise bike).

I understand the questions of why not run the streets,but thats not my thing.And also if this was a 'new year resolution' purchase....it isn't...its a way of keeping me alive for another thirty years,so it will get a daily pounding. Having stared an untimely death in the face,its a good reason to keep at an exercise regime.If it ever happens,or has happened, to anyone reading this,you'll know how important it is.

So,thanx again for those who pointed me in the right direction.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Horizon elite 507 is a belter. Had it for a year, virtually commercial grade, long and wide running bed, folds up easily, get one for just over a grand.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good work Crackpot, welcome to the world of treadmills. We have a York one at home and I have recently joined the gym next door to my work and use their Lifecycle ones, so my husband uses our one at home now. I used to run outside but my knees don't cope so well with hard surfaces anymore so treadmills it is.

Glad the ticker is getting the good exercise it deserves! Thankfully you caught it all in time.

D

Deleted member 18477

i bought one a few years back from JJB for about a grand! although running on a treadmill is boring as f***! i'd rather cycle or row in a still position tbh. no idea why i just find them less boring! cycling and rowing is easier on the joints as well.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Don't know if you've considered it, but have you thought about buying a cross trainer. They're great for cardio-vascular exercise and because they have less impact on your knees and ankles than a treadmill there's less chance of buggering up your joints.

I have to keep a bit of an eye on the condition of my heart and much prefer the upper and lower body workout you get with a cross trainer. I just bought my third after having two in six years (probably because i buy middle range machines) after using them 1-2 times a week in the summer and 3-4 times a week in the winter.

It's certainly something to think about.

Good luck keeping a healthy heart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here