'Travellers' now in Rottingdean

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Travellers are a fact of life.

We accomodate all sorts of people in this world.

Provide encampmemts for them and charge a nominal fee to cover costs.

The Greens seem to have a decent ideal, but the trouble is, no one will want them within spitting (throwing) distance.

Or shitting distance.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Travellers are a fact of life.

We accomodate all sorts of people in this world.

Provide encampmemts for them and charge a nominal fee to cover costs.

The Greens seem to have a decent ideal, but the trouble is, no one will want them within spitting (throwing) distance.

Maybe you have a garden and a driveway that could accommodate a couple of their vans?

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Travelers are a fact of life.

We accommodate all sorts of people in this world.

Provide encampments for them and charge a nominal fee to cover costs.

I've a little story which kind of covers this.

I have a friend that lives in Mid-Wales who works as a town planner. A few years ago their council had paid over a million pounds to create a permanent encampment for travelers to use, at a minor cost to them (Much like you advised). During the first week of it opening it had to be closed because all of the facilities were rendered useable because someone had broken in and stripped the place of all of the sell-able scrap metal, making the place legally uninhabitable in the process.

Speaking to him afterwards he suggested that the whole project was a 'waste of time from the start' as everyone involved in the project was aware that the bulk of the travelers that they had encountered had no interest in being told where they can and cannot stay. He also pointed out that this was not an isolated incident and that it had happened to numerous councils across the UK.

Whilst I concur with your sentiments about obliging all kinds of different people, I fail to see the point in throwing money at a project which has a history of failure without exploring other avenues. I understand that the greens have decided to follow this strategy because it is necessary to offer some form of accommodation to the traveling community if you wish to appease voters by moving them out of Parks etc. But why can't the lawmakers just make certain areas legally uninhabitable by law?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports