Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Travel to Romania ?

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Hello wise-types

Anybody with any knowledge of travels in romania ?

i need to go there next week with work - fly to Bucharest and travel to Craivoa (best flight options)

Any ideas on the best transfer from B to C ? taxi, hire car etc top tips ?

Hotels in Craivoa ? going to the Ford Plant so near there or "in town"

Cheers

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I work for a Romanian company and was in Bucharest just over a month ago.

We flew Tarom from Heathrow. The Wizz flights from Gatwick have stopped. All you get on board is a glass of water but the flight times are good - afternoon over (about 2.50) and midday back. 2hr 40 flight. Bucharest is great. If you get some time go to the old town.

I'll ask colleagues about internal.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I haven't been since 2003, I'd imagine it's changed a lot since then. . . It changed a lot between '99 and 2003 . . . took me a while to acclimatize but we had a ball living/working there, plenty of football as well.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Hello wise-types

i need to go there next week with work - fly to Bucharest and travel to Craivoa (best flight options)

Cheers

My advice is to rent a car. I've been to Romania a couple of times and most of the locals avoid trains as much as possible (they are improving rapidly though).

You aren't going to want to hire a taxi between Bucharest and Craiova. It'll be expensive as it's still a 3 hour drive. There is an airport at Craiova so might be better to fly there directly depending on your budget.

Bucharest is a lively city but a lot of people in the summer flock to Constanta/Mamaia in the summer. That's good fun. Most young people speak English or enough English for what you'll be needing.

Not been to Craiova personally but it's supposed to be lovely from what I've heard from Romanian friends and colleagues.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Hello wise-types

Cheers

Try a site called GetTransfer.com. Allows you to request a transfer and pre book, different companies bid for the work. I’ve used it several times and is very good.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bucharest is beautiful

However Police are a bit corrupt. A friend of mine stopped at a red traffic light. Then moved off when it went green. Police then stopped her and accused her of going through a red light, obviously looking for a bribe but she refused to pay so they arrested her.

The Police got more than they bargained for though because at the time, Romania were applying for EU status and she was a CPO ( Chief Probation Offer ). She was over there advising the Government on how to bring their prison system into modernity and what they would need to do in order for the country to be admitted into the EU. A bit ironic really. She ended up booking in the Police rather than them booking her in :)

But as a city absolutely beautiful and very nice people. Quite a lot of stray dogs around I noticed though.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I work for a Romanian company and was in Bucharest just over a month ago.

We flew Tarom from Heathrow
. The Wizz flights from Gatwick have stopped. All you get on board is a glass of water but the flight times are good - afternoon over (about 2.50) and midday back. 2hr 40 flight. Bucharest is great. If you get some time go to the old town.

I'll ask colleagues about internal.

Pre fall of the iron curtain, Tarom would come into Gatwick with random flights. Occasionally they would come in with an Ilyushin Il-18, a 4 engine turbo prop which was an ancient piece of soviet junk with the technology of a Wellington Bomber. The quality of maintenance in Romania was clearly questionable, hydraulic leaks, vital parts in poor condition and other suchlike horrors. Flight crew weren't interested in any faults pointed out to them. Getting allocated the departure handling of that was always a cross your fingers job. Luckily their fleet has modernised and (I assume) maintenance standards have improved.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Pre fall of the iron curtain, Tarom would come into Gatwick with random flights. Occasionally they would come in with an Ilyushin Il-18, a 4 engine turbo prop which was an ancient piece of soviet junk with the technology of a Wellington Bomber. The quality of maintenance in Romania was clearly questionable, hydraulic leaks, vital parts in poor condition and other suchlike horrors. Flight crew weren't interested in any faults pointed out to them. Getting allocated the departure handling of that was always a cross your fingers job. Luckily their fleet has modernised and (I assume) maintenance standards have improved.

They would be banned from all airspace within Western Europe if maintenance standards hadn't improved.

Times have changed since the 1970's and 80's.

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
If you get a first class train its not that bad, if you got the Tarom flight and arrive at Bucharest at 8pm. There is a train from Bucharest North (Nord) station to Craiova at 2202, arriving 0122. First class ticket is 85lei = £14.50

https://mersultrenurilor.infofer.ro/en-GB/Itineraries - note like the UK there are several train companies.

There is now a train from Bucharest airport direct to the train station, takes 20 mins and costs about 80p So, would look like this..

2022-05-04-15-07-55-Train-itineraries-Aeroport-Henri-Coand-Craiova-CFR-trains-timetable.png

Then once in Craiova, take a Bolt (similar to Uber) to your destination.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Would definitely recommend a visit to Castle Bran http://www.bran-castle.com/

Advertised as Dracula's castle but in reality Vlad The Impaler only used it infrequently as a holiday home . None the less spectacular and worth the visit

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
we used to fly BA from Gatwick, to Otopeni that was before Gatwick shut down though.

Only used the trains a few times, basic, but no worse than here!

09:35 Monday morning. . .used to get the 0745 from Shoreham and waltz through. Collected by a driver and off to site in Ploiesti.

safety was non existent anywhere and loads of dogs everywhere. lovely people, and young ladies. beer and fags were cheaper than life.

life was much simpler in 99.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here