Travel subsidy [NOT] being scrapped for next season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'd love to think this is true, if only because it would mean the carefully-worded and painstakingly planned official communique from the club's PR machine has been scuppered at the 11th hour by some well-meaning fella working the ticket barrier at Burgess Hill train station. :lolol:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If true it just appears to be another way to alienate a few more supporters, I would think there might be some scenario in place in case we get relegated with the ST being cheaper

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I think he deserves credit for being so open with Albion supporters but yep correct I've a sad nerdy memory of quotes/statements etc.

So do you think he deserves credit for announcing increased season ticket prices to cover the travel cost subsidy and then when fans had paid for the season tickets, announce the scrapping of the Shoreham and Rottingdean special buses. I thought that was a very underhand trick myself.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10561904.Bus_service_to_cost_Albion_an_extra___75/

Last edited:

You've forgotten the retainers they have to pay to the travel companies, the P&R buses and indeed that the standard return on B&H buses costs £4.80. Not to mention the charges the council make for Mill Road being closed and the costs of the other P&R sites. Oh, and many won't actually have a railcard.

Each car parking pass @ the UoS and Bridge (currently £250pa) is also subsidised by £50 and "blue badge" disabled passes by £175. A similar %age increase on match day parking (currently £13/15) will go down well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's not irrelevant - he complains that he has to subsidise other people traveling to the football because he doesn't need the 'free' transport from the club. Yet his, and your, OAP bus pass is paid for by the taxpayer - many of whom don't use the buses or need to.

That is a totally different matter that doesnt affect just 25000 supporters but millions in the country. I wonder how much it works out per tax payer and how much tax woukd be dropped by if it was scrapped. You could argue why should non smokers contribute to the NHS to treat smokers or slim people to treat the obese. You could follow your argument for ever on numerous points. Why should I contribute to people getting subsidised glasses.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This has been a long time coming as the club loses £1 million + a season...Great for the many thousands that pay but don't use and this was always going to happen.

The ST's should be reduced though:)

Who are the many thousands that "don't pay". Who travels to the Amex on a Saturday but doesn't have a ticket ?

I'm not sure you did mis read it. I see Sir Albion as referring to those that pay for the levy but don't use P&R, buses or trains. The vast majority do and if getting to the Amex becomes too inconvenient then that is going to put a lot of people off going. Lower gates equals lower revenue and therefore lower playing budget and so a decline begins.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The club spend thousands on a free kids Xmas party every year for every st holder. I've never managed to go ? Should I get a refund ?

The point you like to miss is that everyone is charged this whether they like it or not which in my view is wrong.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So do you think he deserves credit for announcing increased season ticket prices to cover the travel cost subsidy and then when fans had paid for the season tickets, announce the scrapping of the Shoreham and Rottingdean special buses. I thought that was a very underhand trick myself.

My dad wasn't best pleased as her gets one of the affected buses. But as for PB then he discussed it here
https://notworththat.wordpress.com/...-and-increasing-cost-of-following-the-albion/

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Will be same as first season then. Barriers open sail in through.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The point you like to miss is that everyone is charged this whether they like it or not which in my view is wrong.
I get it!!
We are all charged for things that some of don't use as part of the season ticket. Kemy Agustien being the biggest culprit.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Not sure about anyone else but have you seen this graph?

ch-after-31.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports