Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer window - what type of player would you buy?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Now we have played a few games and seen how various players have coped with the step up to the Championship, it's time to think about how we can improve the squad.

If TB said that given our good start to the season he was aiming for promotion this season, and was prepared to match the club record transfer fee on one player during the January transfer window, what type of player would you buy? What would make the most difference this season to our results?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The one type Gus wanted before. A striker with aerial/physical presence to give us a different option and free up CMS. Other than that we have an impressive amount of talent whenever we need to bring people off the bench.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think we need some decent competition/replacement for our Goalie.
I would also like to see us get a central midfield player. I think last nights game showed us we could have done with a midfield destroyer. Someone to come on, break things down and put a little bite into our flair play especially against sides like leeds, birmingham etc.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Currently it would have to be a big and powerful man up front, more Yakubu than Heskey.

But that is under the assuption that Harley can be the creative spark in central midfield alongside Bridcutt and that we keep Dunk and Greer playing so well with each other.

We have a relatively small squad and improvements can be made in a number of positions, strength could be made in GK CB LB CM ST

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Kazenga Lua lua on a permanent basis

Box-to-box central midfielder in the style of Henri Lansbury, Pop Robson, Ray Kennedy.
Central defender in the style of Mark Lawrenson

and if we went up

Left back in the style of Kevin Beattie, Wayne Bridge
Target Man forward in the style of Paul Mariner, Peter Osgood.

if they are available anywhere ??? Nominal price tag £10 million down payment plus wages, except for left backs which are slightly cheaper.

That is no derogation on the current side. Just that these are the important spine of the side and Premier League football demands better. So is the keeper. Stoke's reserve keeper Sorenson is probably better than Ankergren, but Casper has more years in him.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
A keeper and maybe a big striker. Perhaps an decent big defender as well but finding one with a bit of finesse is not easy. Definitely NOT another midfielder ! However I trust in Gus.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'd like to see an experienced, intelligent, 'Midfield General' type of player in the middle of the park. The sort of character who could sort things out on the pitch when we start a match poorly; forget the footballing style that our Manager demands; & hit the panic button: treating the ball like the proverbial Leper & launching long, aimless balls forward. Actually, I think what I'd really love is for Gus to be out on the pitch himself (!), but hopefully you'll get my drift...

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Now we have played a few games and seen how various players have coped with the step up to the Championship, it's time to think about how we can improve the squad.

If TB said that given our good start to the season he was aiming for promotion this season, and was prepared to match the club record transfer fee on one player during the January transfer window, what type of player would you buy? What would make the most difference this season to our results?

Please TB/Gus. A top class left back and a right back, both with pace to burn, and good on the ball fitting in with Gus's possession football.

I really think that would complete things for May 2012 promotion, with luck.

Otherwise Painter & Calderon, bless, will be increasingly pinpointed by opposition coaching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here